Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48808 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (NOW. GET ON THE SERVER CJ!)
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »

Hmm, yeah, I have no problem with gametable now that we have the /clearlog thing figured out, but maptool sounds like it might be better. I'll try to get to that soon.

Drat, I had to get off of my computer for a while. when did it end?

At about quarter after I think?

I feel I should mention, I'm still getting used to handling everything on the computer and everyone wanting to do different things ALL AT THE SAME TIME (out of battle, at least). As well as the screw-plot-let's-find-a-dungeon playstyle, but I think the next session will be a little smoother and more adventurous. How could a cliche'd destroyed keep NOT contain some manner of adventure?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 06, 2009, 06:01:00 pm »

Christ are we gonna have another issue with routers screwing up people connecting to people? Looking more into maptool it does seem like a really nice thing, but then again we've only just finished getting use to gametable.
edit: score found a tutorial for the maptool on connecting people, http://rptoolstutorials.net/videos/CompConnect/CompConnect.html
I'm watching it now
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:05:50 pm by userpay »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:40 pm »

http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/videos/CompConnect/CompConnect.html
^Tutorial about connecting computers and a little part at the end about dealing with routers.^

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »

So, all in all a good session! I admit I did better than I thought I would at being a comedic, somewhat creepy necromancer. If we're entering the dungeon first thing in the in-game morning I think I'll be packing a bit more in the way of combat. I actually only had two offensive spells for the first day, as I didn't expect much fighting.

Oh well, time for more magic missile and ultimately out-doing the sorcerer. How much xp do we need to level anyways?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (Almost made it to the dungeon...)
« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »

Hmm I can't seem to access my router, I've put the ip address in the address bar for the internet and it doesn't seem to want to work.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »

So, all in all a good session! I admit I did better than I thought I would at being a comedic, somewhat creepy necromancer. If we're entering the dungeon first thing in the in-game morning I think I'll be packing a bit more in the way of combat. I actually only had two offensive spells for the first day, as I didn't expect much fighting.

Oh well, time for more magic missile and ultimately out-doing the sorcerer. How much xp do we need to level anyways?

1000 xp to level 2. The reason you got so little for that first encounter was because there was pretty much no threat. Heh, Apparently the RNGod doesn't want to give you good rolls in battle, just when you're screwing around with the populace. He is a fickle Lord.

Oh yeah, I'm going to assume (since I'm so nice) you guys wanted Lefsor to spontaneously cast his healing spells before you guys bunked up for the night. Riiight?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

1000 xp to level 2. The reason you got so little for that first encounter was because there was pretty much no threat. Heh, Apparently the RNGod doesn't want to give you good rolls in battle, just when you're screwing around with the populace. He is a fickle Lord.

Oh yeah, I'm going to assume (since I'm so nice) you guys wanted Lefsor to spontaneously cast his healing spells before you guys bunked up for the night. Riiight?
Eh sure, so does that mean I should change my char sheet to being back to full health? And I've posted a query to the rptool forum about router shit so maybe we can get something worked out here.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 06, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »

They deleted your post. :\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:35 pm »

Maybe someone should explain the rules in a bit more detail before the next session.  I noticed a disturbing number of "Is that a d20?" questions being asked.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:40 pm »

Yeah, you're plans to screw over the party by angering the locals at the beginning was thwarted pretty handily by lady luck granting you natural 20's left and right...

Maybe someone should explain the rules in a bit more detail before the next session.  I noticed a disturbing number of "Is that a d20?" questions being asked.

Hey, we're just getting used to this stuff.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2009, 07:25:03 pm »

Actually I think they prescreen the stuff before it goes out, one of the admins replied to it but didn't actually say anything, he only quoted the part about it being password protected and didn't say anything about solutions or about my other question i had in the post.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:54 pm »

Actually I think they prescreen the stuff before it goes out, one of the admins replied to it but didn't actually say anything, he only quoted the part about it being password protected and didn't say anything about solutions or about my other question i had in the post.
Oh. I thought that was only in the LFG section. ',=\

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »

Welcome to DnD on the Internets with free programs gentlemen.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:44 pm »

Found something interesting, mythweavers has generators on their website that are quite good.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:21 pm »

Eh sure, so does that mean I should change my char sheet to being back to full health?

Yeah, I decided to just roll it now and he had enough juice to heal everyone. From now on remember to do that yourselves, but Leafsnail wasn't even around so it seems a little dickish to go "OH HO HO YOU GUYS FORGOT ENJOY YOUR DAMAGE".

Eh, I've found when I try to explain everything it just sounds really confusing and then once people have fought one or two battles they go "oh, that's not so hard". Basically I guess:

Initiative is rolled at the beginning of a battle, it is a d20 plus your initiative bonus. This determines battle order. Some battles require a spot or listen check to determine if anyone gets a surprise round, in which only they may act and all other characters are flatfooted (No dexterity bonus to AC).

When you're making a non-magical attack, first you roll a d20, add (or subtract) your attack bonus, if this exceeds your opponents AC you hit, at which point you roll for damage. If a creature has damage resistance (only stronger creatures have this), this number is outright subtracted from any damage dealt. So if you roll a 7 for damage and a creature has DR 5, you'll only deal 2 damage. Some stronger creatures also regenerate HP each turn.

Characters between -1 and -9 HP are unconscious and lose one HP per round, they become stable if healed by another character (they stop losing HP). They also have a 1/10 chance to become stable on their own, at which point they only lose 1HP per hour. This is why you don't need to cast Magic Missile on a opponent that's already negative HP, unless you expect them to get healed.

Magical attacks pretty much vary by the spell, but most require a touch attack (armour and weapon bonuses are negated), or a Saving Throw. Saving Throws are a d20 plus your applicable bonus, if they exceed the difficulty class of the spell it's negated.

If you preform certain actions within the melee attack range of another character (moving past them, casting a spell, various other things) they will get an attack of opportunity against you, which is basically a free attack they take without it being their turn. Players get these too. This is probably the most-forgotten-about rule, I'll warn you if the action you chose provokes an attack of opportunity.

Anything else worth stating?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57