Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48781 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (TOOZDAI?)
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2009, 12:54:26 pm »

That's why I hate the alignment system.  I almost think it should be switched to Nethack's alignment system, just lawful and chaotic.  Those are concrete enough to work.  Good and evil are too subjective.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2009, 12:54:59 pm »

But all fantasy gods hate unbelievers, right?  Besides, Lefsor doesn't harm people (uh, much), he prefers to convert them.  Sortof.

Actually, the whole "Good vs. Evil" is extremely subjective.  I mean, since he heals people and stuff rather than randomly inflicting pain, that would automatically make him good, according the the D&D rulebook, even if he's doing it for evil purposes.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2009, 12:56:25 pm »

And kinseti, do I just take my character sheet and copy the info on the Mythweavers thing?

Yup.

Looking at userpays character sheet, he did equipment wrong.
100 cp = 10 sp = 1 gp, not 10000 cp = 100 sp = 1 gp
Trail rations weigh 1 lb not 10 lb, and he'd have 4 gp, 1 sp, 8 cp left over. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to check all this stuff for the people who already knew how to play.

Oh, and Josh should come up with a spell list and Leafsnail should think about what spells he wants prepared for the first day.

And yeah, the alignment system doesn't make sense. Especially the concept of "always chaotic evil" races, but let's not even open that door...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2009, 12:57:18 pm »

So, sorry for the curveball, but I've decided to go with Richard for my character. I swear this is my final choice. Seriously.

Also, you may notice a whole lot of question marks. Those are areas I do not understand how to fill in. Please assist me with that, as I have no idea.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2009, 01:04:15 pm »

Oh good. We have a lawful good cleric and a chaotic evil necromancer on the same team. Now my day is complete.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2009, 01:05:13 pm »

But all fantasy gods hate unbelievers, right?  Besides, Lefsor doesn't harm people (uh, much), he prefers to convert them.  Sortof.

Actually, the whole "Good vs. Evil" is extremely subjective.  I mean, since he heals people and stuff rather than randomly inflicting pain, that would automatically make him good, according the the D&D rulebook, even if he's doing it for evil purposes.

It should. But the ones who define what's good and evil are the gods, and they like smiting.

Hey kinseti, are you going to go with a morality system that allows for more grey areas?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2009, 01:18:58 pm »

Hey kinseti, are you going to go with a morality system that allows for more grey areas?

How do you mean? So many powers in the game are based off alignment you sort of have to assign arbitrary alignments to everything. I'm not a big fan of that part, I'm all for gray-area morality, but it's a bit necessary as I understand it.

And the Richard/Lefsor thing...ugh. The only two ways that could pan out would be constant infighting or never being in character.
"I vote we take the mayors offer and help defend the city!"
"I VOTE WE KILL MAYOR. RAISE CORPSE. BURN CITY TO GROUND."
I won't make you change but...yeah.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2009, 01:20:58 pm »

Kinseti I know you're there, would you mind helping answer my questions? For simplicity, I shall list them.

1. Nonlethal Damage, Hit Dice, and Damage Reduction. Where do I figure out how to fill these in?

2. Spells and Powers: Do I fill this out, or can I just prepare any spell that isn't restricted to me each day?

3. Spell Saves. What are these, how do I fill them out?

And also, don't forget that I am a selfish bastard. If the reward is good, I might do the quest given. I might kill them after we've gotten the reward, but most likely not.

Unless the reward sucks.

The point is, I'll try to stay in character without ruining the experience. I made Richard for the comedy of the situations he would create, not cause mass mayhem wherever I go.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:47 pm »

For example, maybe I think I'm Chaotic Good because I'm defeating an evil emperor by raping, then killing every man, woman and child in his kingdom; without his citizens, he has no empire. So I'm doing good, right? WRONG.
The men and children too? You're right, that's just wrong.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2009, 01:34:59 pm »

Well...OK. As long as you're not going to use Chaotic Evil as an excuse to disrupt the adventure at every opportunity (I've had it happen. The kill the mayor thing was real.)

Nonlethal Damage = 0, you haven't accumulated any yet.
Hit dice = 4, for Wizards.
Damage Reduction = 0

Spells and Powers:
Quote from: wiki
Spellbooks: A wizard must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory.

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

So, basically, choose 6 first level spells for richards spellbook, and prepare three 0-level and two 1st-level that you'll be able to cast the first day.

Spell Saves is where you list your # of spells per day (3 0-level and 1+1 1st-level for now) and the Difficulty Class to resist them. I believe your spell save DC is 10+lvl of spell+relevant stat bonus. So 13 for 0 level spells and 14 for 1st level.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »

Ok, I fixed everything according to your answers, and since I'm not sure where to put them my list of 1st level spells are listed in the Other Notes section.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »

So, the difference between sorcerers and wizards is that Wizards can learn alot of spells, but can only prepare a few each day, and have fewer uses per day, while a sorcerer can use more spells per day, and has more uses, but once he chooses them, he can't switch them up?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2009, 01:56:37 pm »

So I assume my new sheet is all goody?
Anyone ever played ADOM? Of course you have.
There was only chaos and law. And no side was white or black.
In my opinion Leafsnail shoulb be allowed a lawful good atheist cleric.
Let's say for a moment that Pelor is a murderous god like in his story.
Maybe he got his powers from nature, or sun.
Maybe from positive energy plane entity or whatever.
How Richard and Leafsnails's character could cooperate?
The way Richard and Cale'anon do. Richard does all the random killing under the leadership of a goody doer. In the newest comics Richard even saves Cale from death.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2009, 02:08:04 pm »

Ok, I fixed everything according to your answers, and since I'm not sure where to put them my list of 1st level spells are listed in the Other Notes section.

Under spells per day, you should have have 3 level 0 spells and 1+1 Bonus 1st Level spells, not 4 and 3. The spells in your book go under Spells and Powers, the #Cast/Mem is for how many of each you've prepared for the day. You shouldn't need to put every level 0 spell in there, just the ones you want to prepare.

So, the difference between sorcerers and wizards is that Wizards can learn alot of spells, but can only prepare a few each day, and have fewer uses per day, while a sorcerer can use more spells per day, and has more uses, but once he chooses them, he can't switch them up?

That's about it, yeah. Sorcerers are easier for beginners because they don't have to prepare their spells carefully every day.
I'm pretty much done your sheet too. I think I mostly just need those spells. 4 level-0 and 2 level-1. Heh, you're going to have to be pretty careful josh, with no armour and 3 HP...

Oh, and I've arbitrarily decided to give casters their spell component pouch for free, since Richard forgot to bring one and Jodhu went a couple copper pieces over 25 gp.

And yeah Rooster, Leafsnails getting his LG Atheist Cleric and your sheet for Gurk looks perfect.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »

Can I change my familiar from a bat to a snake?

I'm picking out my spells right now.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 57