Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48786 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (TOOZDAI?)
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:25 am »

I am pretty sure that the PHB mentions the possibility of a cleric worshipping an alignment, or was that just paladins? I think that Forgotten realms is special because it forces all clerics to have a god...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2009, 11:45:09 am »

I don't know!  This discussion only started because I forgot the choose a deity in character creation :P.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2009, 11:46:25 am »

Yes, you can be a cleric of Good, or of Evil, or of... Neutral? That sounds silly. Maybe a Cleric of Balance?

I still like the "Cleric of Athe" idea, but that requires an insert into a pantheon that is as yet unknown.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:08 am »

I dunno, it could just be an RP thing with no effect on the game.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2009, 11:54:01 am »

since I want to end the oppression of the gods and religions.

I assume you mean that in a less than literal way since, if you wanted to end the oppression of the gods, you would believe in gods, and therefore not be atheist. If you want to fight atrocities committed in the name of gods, that would make sense.
Except clerics draw their powers from their beliefs and atheism is defined by what you don't believe...you would still have to be drawing your power from something. I don't know. If you come up with a decent character history explaining it I'll allow it.

I dunno, it could just be an RP thing with no effect on the game.

RP stuff affects the game because it affects your characters decisions. But yeah, it's just an RP thing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2009, 11:57:18 am »

One decent character history comin' right up.

And since gods definately do exist in D&D, it would be more of a Discworld style atheist - the one who knows they exist but denies them support or worship.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2009, 11:58:01 am »

Hmmmm, sounds like someone might have an RP excuse to take Ur-Priest...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:50 pm »

Hey Kinseti, do I have to write a better backstory for my character? I didn't really put alot of thought into it.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:35 pm »

And since gods definately do exist in D&D, it would be more of a Discworld style atheist - the one who knows they exist but denies them support or worship.

Except that your average person in D&D-land hasn't had any more contact with a god than I have. Of course, they probably have seen a cleric heal someone with divine powers :P You could believe that it all has a scientific explanation, I guess. "FOR SCIENCE!"

Hey Kinseti, do I have to write a better backstory for my character? I didn't really put alot of thought into it.

Well, you don't have to. You can just sort of make it up as you play. I just wanted to know exactly how that atheist cleric business is going to work, since it's sort of integral to a cleric character. Sorcerers, however, are allowed to be mysterious.

Oh, I'll try to make leafsnail and josh a MythWeavers character sheet today, since it'd probably be too confusing to do yourselves. Hopefully CJ will do his own.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2009, 12:27:25 pm »

Oh, I'll try to make leafsnail and josh a MythWeavers character sheet today, since it'd probably be too confusing to do yourselves. Hopefully CJ will do his own.

Thanks Kinseti. I took a look at the Mythweavers thing, and I immediately thought "wow, this looks confusing".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2009, 12:27:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that's the story.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2009, 12:30:37 pm »

Dude...

Wait, they killed halflings?
Dicks.

I'd write something more in-depth, but I suck.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »

Clerics of Pelor did whatnow?

That kind of atrocity would require Atonement.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:35:29 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »

Ok, so I'm worshipping an emo abstraction?  Fair enough.  Anyway, I'm Lawful Good rather than Evil since I want to end the oppression of the gods and religions.  So from my point of view I'm good.  Or something like that.

In OoTS, the Paladin whose name escapes me thought she was doing good by killing the city's ruler, but she still got robbed of her powers. Just think about that for a minute, and decide if your own perspective matters alignment-wise AT ALL. For example, maybe I think I'm Chaotic Good because I'm defeating an evil emperor by raping, then killing every man, woman and child in his kingdom; without his citizens, he has no empire. So I'm doing good, right? WRONG.

And kinseti, do I just take my character sheet and copy the info on the Mythweavers thing?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2009, 12:36:34 pm »

Yeah, the axis just does not work that way. Black and white morality, remember?

EDIT: Her name was Miko.

Also, Yondalla and Pelor are on the same side of the fence, I think.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:38:29 pm by Vester »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 57