Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48660 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2009, 11:56:53 pm »

Ouch, how do I determine how much everything costs?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2009, 11:57:58 pm »

Wait, I just found the table. Nevermind.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:56 am »

Question...what do I do with deities? Do I make up my own or are there official ones?

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2009, 12:39:24 am »

I think my sheet is completed, i edited it too. Page 4
nm using him in emperors game
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:19:54 am by theevilmonk »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2009, 01:31:11 am »

Looks good userpay, I'll double check that sheet sometime tomorrow, when I haven't been drinking.

There may be some confusion on how people are explaining sorcerers. You don't have access to every spell on the wizard spell list, you learn spells as you level up and you have access to every spell you know. You start with knowledge of four level 0 spells and two level 1. Every day you get five castings of any level 0 spell you know and four of any level 1 (to start with). Wizards, by contrast, have to prepare every spell specifically. Hope that makes sense. I never really realized how confusing this all is until I had to try to type it in a way that makes sense.

I am also arbitrarily deciding to allow the Create Jelly spell because, I don't know, jelly is delicious.

Whoops! Forgot to add you to the wait list theevilmonk. You're on there now though. Hope I didn't forget anyone else.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:41:32 am by kinseti »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2009, 01:31:53 am »

Question...what do I do with deities? Do I make up my own or are there official ones?
There are official ines, but they were not in WOTCs SRD, so you'd actually have to have the book,

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2009, 01:56:45 am »

Oh, have LeafSnail, CJ1145, chaoticjosh posted their availabilities? It's possible you have and I lost them in the already giant thread.

As for deities, yeah, I haven't planned that yet. I haven't really done a whole lot of "worldbuilding" for the setting yet, actually. We can use the default Players Handbook pantheon if someone can find it online, I can make a unique one tomorrow if anyone deems it important (it wouldn't be a big job), or I can just wing it like I'll be doing for most every thing else, since everyone seems so eager to just start and not let me plan anything.

Oh, and Neruz, please stop filling my thread with powergaming propaganda. In my opinion, a campaign based on the optimization of party damage is sort of completely missing the point. It's like playing a drinking game. You don't play to win, you play to get drunk.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2009, 02:10:51 am »

There's a substantial difference between building a character that can reasonably expect to be able to tackle an appropriate-CR encounter and powergaming. If you think you're a good enough DM to be able to adjust monsters and encounters properly to fit a poorly built party, then by all means go ahead, but i feel it's only fair to warn people that it is entirely possible to construct a character that quite simply cannot tackle appropriate CR encounters, even if CR didn't blatantly lie to the DM at times.

If i was filling it with powergaming propaganda then i would be telling everyone to play Human Clerics and Druids, as those are the only two class\race combos that deserve to be associated with 'powergaming.'
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:12:28 am by Neruz »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2009, 02:28:09 am »

Heh, most of the time the game assumes a balanced party. I remember some talk about how the CR automatically assumes that there's a cleric or healing potions. If there's a barrel of healing water or something, it shouldn't be much of a problem XD
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2009, 02:37:41 am »

Alright, alright, fair enough. The massive stockpile of healing wands > divine healer trick always struck me as a tad powergamey though. Also the implication that tanks aren't worth having by mid levels. Just because they won't be the strongest character in the party shouldn't be a reason in itself to avoid them. I mean...why else would there be Bards? ::) Anyway, it's not something that a first time player should worry about.

And what about Human Wizard/Fighter dual classes? I seem to remember people coming up with some pretty outstanding munchkining with that combo.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2009, 02:51:06 am »

Heh, most of the time the game assumes a balanced party. I remember some talk about how the CR automatically assumes that there's a cleric or healing potions. If there's a barrel of healing water or something, it shouldn't be much of a problem XD

CR actually assumes very little, mostly because it doesn't work. Dragons for example are substantially more powerful than their CR would indicate, while Ogres are substantially less so.

The game does definitely assume there's a source of healing though, unfortunately appropriate CR encounters require substantially more healing than an appropriate CR Cleric can actually put out.

The massive stockpile of healing wands > divine healer trick always struck me as a tad powergamey though

While less important at lower levels, it's actually neccessary in the higher levels. Cleric healing quite simply cannot keep up with monster damage output. The CO boards spent ages trying to make a healer class work, and it is possible, but it requires multiple splatbooks and a massive character investment, and the class isn't Cleric interestingly enough.

Clerics can spend early levels healing people in combat, mostly because in the early levels they'll be outclassed by the various fighter type classes, as they go higher in level and get access to better and better buffing spells however it becomes less and less useful for the Cleric to spend his actions healing and more useful for him to spend his actions beating the living shit out of things. And at around level 8ish monster damage output surpasses Cleric healing output, rendering in-combat healing nearly useless.

Also the implication that tanks aren't worth having by mid levels. Just because they won't be the strongest character in the party shouldn't be a reason in itself to avoid them.

Not actually what i meant; what i meant is that as you go on you run into more and more magical beasties. By mid levels you're encountering monsters that can, with a wave of their hand, hit the entire party with save or suck spells. If you don't have somone who can counter those magics you're in deep shit. By higher levels the save or suck spells are replaced with save or die spells, and it becomes even more vital to keep magical protection everywhere.

An excellent example being one of the games i watched at RPGA aages ago, party of 5 level 14 characters, all fairly heavily optimised and cleaning house with the module, just wiping everything out. They were slaughtered to a man by a low-CR random encounter because the random encounter was a Demon and using fire magics, and they'd forgotten to put their Protection from Fire buff on. Two spells later the entire party was dead.

I mean...why else would there be Bards?

No-one's really sure why there are Bards :P

Anyway, it's not something that a first time player should worry about.

Very true. But it is something the DM needs to worry about unless he's planning on ending up with alot of corpses.

And what about Human Wizard/Fighter dual classes? I seem to remember people coming up with some pretty outstanding munchkining with that combo.

That is a horrible multiclass combo. Sacrificing Wizard caster levels for Fighter levels? Unless you're talking a 1 or 2 level Fighter dip for extra feats, then that is a very good way to gimp yourself.

Oh, that is something new players should keep in mind; don't multiclass unless you know what you're doing, or you may well end up wondering why you can't hit anything and none of your spells seem to have any effect.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2009, 03:02:38 am »

Meh, please put me on the waiting list, I will make up a character when I have some idea what the level will be, or maybe sooner if people yell at me or something. I might aim to be a duellist, it almost looks like it might be useful if they can reach a crazy high level and don't want to be more than a distraction...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2009, 03:04:16 am »

Arhg so much to keep track of in this topic...

Josh, character looks very good, he'll help balance the party. You took flaws though, which are from a supplement, so I was not planning on using them. However, you just used them to take extra social skills and I've always been fond of flaw systems in RPGs, so I'll just allow it unless someone has a problem with that.

Anyway, it's not something that a first time player should worry about.

Very true. But it is something the DM needs to worry about unless he's planning on ending up with alot of corpses.

Have you seen the size of the waiting list? There's plenty of cannon-fodder. Seriously though I agree, balancing should fall to the DM.

That is a horrible multiclass combo. Sacrificing Wizard caster levels for Fighter levels? Unless you're talking a 1 or 2 level Fighter dip for extra feats, then that is a very good way to gimp yourself.

I know it sounds stupid, and this is based on a foggy memory from 5 years ago, but I think the wizard levels were mostly for self-buff spells to boost melee output. I just remember it was a massive abuse of various rules that resulted in a killing machine.

I'll add you to the list RAM.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2009, 03:07:01 am »

While i agree that there's plenty of cannon fodder, dying isn't fun, it's even less fun when you die and have to sit in a waiting list to come back. Dying because the system is hard and you accidentally screwed up without even knowing what you did wrong is so not fun it occasionally creates a black hole of antifun.

You'd be better off multiclassing Cleric for self-buff spells; Wizards don't really have any decent self-buff spells. Clerics get Righteous Might, Divine Rage and, if you get them to level 17, Miracle.

Off the top of my head the only Wizard self-buff spell i can think of is Mage Armor, which is completely invalidated by real armor.

I feel i should also add that alot of things look like they're abusive and munchkiny on the surface, but aren't.

The things you need to look out for are the ones that don't look abusive, like Natural Spell, the worlds most overpowered Feat ever and the single reason why the Druid as a class can replace the entire party at level 8.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:08:45 am by Neruz »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2009, 03:08:49 am »

Quickened true-strike + 2 handed power attack + alter self/polymorph sounds vaguely familiar...

Can people use extra WotC books if they have them?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57