Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48601 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 06:29:09 am »

For reference, here's the character sheet, though no one's said if they're for or against. (5 hp only? Crap, I'm squishy.)

Spoiler: Richard! (click to show/hide)

Also, I've never played a wizard, so the sheet confuses me: Since I specialized, am I restricted to only using Necromancy spells, or can I prepare others as well?

EDIT: I forgot, I spent my money based on objects listed in the SRD site, not the character genner. Here's all the stuff I spent:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:34:39 am by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 06:30:07 am »

I don't think you can adventure with Leafsnail's dwarfadin, though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 06:33:09 am »

Curse the RNG and my not reading the Paladin page carefully enough.

And 5hp?  Jesus.  Even my awfully constructed pally has 4x that.

Erm, will my Super Virtuous Pally try to kill his Mega Evil Necro?  Hmm... might need to reconsider my choices.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 06:43:07 am »

You could always play as a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar (link for people who do not know the dangers of TvTropes).

That way you could consider his Mega Evil Necro a means to an end. Like fighting fire with fire. Except here it's fighting evil with evil.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44:21 am »

You could always play as a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar (link for people who do not know the dangers of TvTropes).

That way you could consider his Mega Evil Necro a means to an end. Like fighting fire with fire. Except here it's fighting evil with evil.

No, I'm pretty sure there'll be fire involved. The first one was fine.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:10 am »

Yeah, sounds good.  Fine with resurrections and stuff as long as they destroy the vaguely defined evil we're fighting against.  Paladins have to be Lawful Good, right?

And by the way, the logic for my choice was as follows...

1. I'm new at this.
2. Therefore I'll suck.
3. Therefore I'll take lots of damage.
4. Therefore I'll need lots of hp and stuff to stop me dying quite as quickly.

And... that's about it.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:43 am »

If you prefer, I rolled a boring, un-slaughtery paladin.

Spoiler: Sissy McDogooder (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 07:27:52 am »

I'll stick to my poorly made one, thanks.  It may be crap, but it's mine :P.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 07:32:10 am »

Yeah, sounds good.  Fine with resurrections and stuff as long as they destroy the vaguely defined evil we're fighting against.  Paladins have to be Lawful Good, right?

1. I'm new at this.
2. Therefore I'll suck.

And... that's about it.

The thing about paladins is that RP'ing them is essentially the difference between RP'ing Qui Gon Jinn and Mace Windu. Some might bend the rules in name of good, and some are just all murderdeathkill all over the bad guys, even when doing so is in direct contradiction of their own rules. (Episode III was a car wreck for me.)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:10 am »

I'll stick to my poorly made one, thanks.  It may be crap, but it's mine :P.

What? No, I meant for me to play. But I think I'll probably stick with Richard.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:22 am »

Yes, a fighter with a greatsword.
I've just realized I got a shield, whoops, don't need that. I've changed it for a sling, and some bullets.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:51:00 am by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 08:28:57 am »

Ok, had a go at making a character.  Rolled like you said, with 3d6, but I'm 95% sure I got something else badly wrong (probably the equipment - I just sortof guessed for it.  Feel free to suggest changes if I've taken too much of it or buggered something else up).  Never mind, here's what I got.

How is he 'known for fighting to the death'? Done it alot has he?

By the way, you're going to want a 14 in Wisdom to cast all the Paladin spells, unless you're willing to start with an 11 in Wisdom and just boost it at every available opportunity.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:28 am »

Maybe... maybe he used to do it before he got picked up for the order? Whichever Paladin order this is.

Yes, a fighter with a greatsword.

Awesome archetypes are awesome.

Someone's going to make a Dwarven Ranger with Racial Hatred: Elves, probably. :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:45 am »

1. I'm new at this.
2. Therefore I'll suck.

And... that's about it.

The thing about paladins is that RP'ing them is essentially the difference between RP'ing Qui Gon Jinn and Mace Windu. Some might bend the rules in name of good, and some are just all murderdeathkill all over the bad guys, even when doing so is in direct contradiction of their own rules. (Episode III was a car wreck for me.)

The trick to Paladining is to know the difference between Lawful Good and Lawful Stupid.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 08:39:09 am »

And yes, Paladins are restricted from knowingly associating with Evil characters.

Also, if you really want to be a Negromancer, be a Cleric, not a Wizard. Wizards suck at Negromancery. (it's useful to them as a means to get bodies to perform menial tasks and whatnot if they're planning on setting up shop somewhere, and with the right multiclassing and prestige classing you can get a decent necrowizard going, but the Cleric is far superior in almost all respects.)

I can point you to some wonderful guides on how to be a Negromancer and not suck big hairy gorilla balls, as 3.5 seems to be very carefully crafted so as to provide the illusion of being able to be a competant Negromancer and contribute to the party without actually doing so. The designers were (and still are) very big on playing the good guys, and they never really liked giving people bad guy options (as shown by the fact that they generally suck.)

But Negromancery is hard, very hard, i highly reccomend that you do not persue that path until you've gotten a decent mastery of the system. If you're determined though, then know that Negrowizards are basically 'death dealers' in that they throw around lots of nasty death effects and debuffs, but don't expect to command an Undead Army. If you want an Undead Army, you're gonna hafta be a Cleric, at least to start with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57