Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48629 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (in the dungeon)
« Reply #675 on: October 14, 2009, 11:34:52 pm »

Well I think the reason we didn't do a fiendish one was because we didn't have a template for it or something. At any rate the centipede killed one of the rats, I'm curious to see if the summoning will last long enough till the next fight.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:54 pm »

Summons are mostly used for cheap hit points. Maybe I should make that thaumaturgist I always wanted...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 14, 2009, 11:58:11 pm »

Well I think the reason we didn't do a fiendish one was because we didn't have a template for it or something. At any rate the centipede killed one of the rats, I'm curious to see if the summoning will last long enough till the next fight.

For some reason, summon monster restricts you to fiendish or celestial for any given kind of creature. Even though the templates grant the same level of bonuses, making it completely arbitrary. So yeah, from now on I guess I'll waive that rule.

Also, summon monster spells last 1 round/level, so no. It won't last until the next fight.

Has anyone considered using VOIP? Xfire works fairly well for that sort of thing. It's a small download, largely non-obtrusive, and relatively simple to set up. I could even host the server for that, too, if I'm around. If that doesn't work for everyone, there's Ventrilo, but I know much less about that.

I lack a mic, and I believe other players do as well.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2009, 12:36:12 am »

For some reason, summon monster restricts you to fiendish or celestial for any given kind of creature. Even though the templates grant the same level of bonuses, making it completely arbitrary. So yeah, from now on I guess I'll waive that rule.

Also, summon monster spells last 1 round/level, so no. It won't last until the next fight.

Has anyone considered using VOIP? Xfire works fairly well for that sort of thing. It's a small download, largely non-obtrusive, and relatively simple to set up. I could even host the server for that, too, if I'm around. If that doesn't work for everyone, there's Ventrilo, but I know much less about that.

I lack a mic, and I believe other players do as well.
I have a mic its just my damn computer doesn't seem compatable with the 3.5mm jack ones (no idea why, it has the jack so I can only assume that the jack wasn't connected or shorted to the rest of the hardware).

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2009, 03:47:45 am »

No mic here.
So far the suggestions for improvement by Kinseti are reasonable to say the least and will speed things up.
We should see if we can get one on weekend or something

EDIT: Just found out that I'm stupid. My damage should be 1d12 +4 (str) + 2(1/2 Str) = 1d12 +6 because I go with a two-handed weapon.
Stupid aren't I?

Rules reference:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Attack_Damage
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:20:36 am by Rooster »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 15, 2009, 12:22:11 pm »

In an unrelated note I really like a character I'm making for another game and I actually just did fat change up making him a part fighter part wizard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:21 pm »

Sorry for having to leave again, everyone, but it looks like you took out them raccoon/ squirrel things anyway.  Well done.  Also, I think I might have been deliberately taunting the gods in the fight with the goblins, having dodged 3 separate shots and then rolling my maximum damage to one-hit a goblin.  Proof that drive and passion is all you need!  Just like [animu reference removed to avoid modkill penatly].

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:29 pm »

Sorry for having to leave again, everyone, but it looks like you took out them raccoon/ squirrel things anyway.  Well done.  Also, I think I might have been deliberately taunting the gods in the fight with the goblins, having dodged 3 separate shots and then rolling my maximum damage to one-hit a goblin.  Proof that luck is all you need!  Just like [animu reference removed to avoid modkill penatly].

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 15, 2009, 02:41:29 pm »

Don't forget that one sling bullet went so off it clocked my char in the back of the head.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 15, 2009, 03:11:58 pm »

The monsters have a fiendish/celestial template because you're summoning them from one of the inner/outer planes.  You're communicating with the powers that be there and calling an animal from their dimension into ours.  Since there aren't very many demons/celestials at the low levels, they applied fiendish/celestial templates to material plane creatures to fill out the lists.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:26 pm »

I don't fully understand the mechanics of this spell. If I have the power to yank a badger from heaven, why can't I just yank one from the forest I'm in, likely less than a mile away?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 15, 2009, 03:49:34 pm »

Because that's nature magic, not arcane magic.
Shoes...

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 15, 2009, 03:51:24 pm »

There's something in it.
Maybe it's just easier to teleport something from the inner planes than from material plane.
Teleport is like 3rd lv spell?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 15, 2009, 08:09:49 pm »

The monsters have a fiendish/celestial template because you're summoning them from one of the inner/outer planes.  You're communicating with the powers that be there and calling an animal from their dimension into ours.  Since there aren't very many demons/celestials at the low levels, they applied fiendish/celestial templates to material plane creatures to fill out the lists.

I know why they have a fiendish or celestial template, what I don't understand is why celestial badgers are on the summon list, but fiendish badgers aren't. The same for any animal, it's one or the other but not both. That's what I find strange.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40:29 pm »

A lot of the celestial animals seem a bit nicer than the fiendish animals.  You've got stuff like dolphins, monkeys, and dogs for celestial, and spiders, centipedes, rats, and octopi for fiendish.  I don't know, though.

When I'm DMing I don't even bother with the templates.  The low level summons basically amount to speedbumps so there's no real need to modify all the monsters in the summons.  I just go with "Counts as" for template summons.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:42:21 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57