Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48641 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (Second Session Today!)
« Reply #645 on: October 14, 2009, 01:41:41 pm »

Yeah, sure CJ. If we're in an encounter and you're too slow to act, who do you want to take your actions? Waiting several minutes every time it's your turn would bog the action down quite a bit.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:56 pm »

"Physical therapist"

While funny, I fail to see the meaning behind this

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:46 pm »

Actually, don't freak out too much. It's far more likely to be 20 to 30 second waits, and about a 10 minute time where I will be out of bed and unable to respond at all. If you don't mind, could you control Richard if I'm suddenly afk, kinseti? Frankly, I don't trust my companions. At all. If you accept, I have two guidelines:

1. Be destructive, yet deceptive as well.

2. Protect myself and Thunderhoof at all costs. All other party members are a secondary objective.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 14, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »

Out of bed? That's wild.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 14, 2009, 02:05:09 pm »

Damn it Rash.  ::)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 14, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »

okay two things, one I might be a tad late to getting on and ready as my lunch will finish cooking right about when we start. Second is joyous news, I have friday free. Classes are cancled for some meeting between the teachers so if we can set up a game on friday that would be awsome. Heres hoping my dad doesn't get any chores or places to go for me.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 14, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »

Alright josh, just let us know when that server's up.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #652 on: October 14, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »

Hypothetically, supposing there was call for such a thing, I could host; I'm not doing anything on my computer, and my ports are all properly forwarded for such things. Also, would it be alright if I Livestreamed the goings-on?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (josh? Josh?!? JOOOOOSH!!!)
« Reply #653 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:51 pm »

Go ahead Reasy, I don't think it'll cause lag now that we know about /clearlog.

info:

IP: 97.84.162.161
Port: 6812
No password

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (NAOW)
« Reply #654 on: October 14, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »

We have to get this to speed up :/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:30:25 pm by Rooster »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 14, 2009, 05:38:13 pm »

We fought some goblins, handled a lousy gate trap, and then fought some raccoon rats.

It looks like things are getting serious, as things are getting darker, good thing I brought all the supplies that everyone needs. Like torches, and candles...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 14, 2009, 05:39:34 pm »

Also, I think that we should be effected by thirst and hunger. So as to give spells like "create water" or "create jelly" some purpose.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:04 pm »

Also, I think that we should be effected by thirst and hunger. So as to give spells like "create water" or "create jelly" some purpose.
Well mayhap we should wait till we get back to the town before we implement that.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:23 pm »

A discussion about whether or not PCs need to eat, a goblin ambush, an argument over dividing a very small pile of loot, breaching the dungeons entrance, falling into the worlds most harmless trap, squishing rats, and the second session winds to a close.

So, Rooster was saying the games are going too slowly and I have to agree with him. Yes, tabletop games can be slow, they're slower online, and our party is primarily newbies. Slow is expected. But this is very slow. I'll give some thought towards speeding it up, and hopefully once everyone gets used to the flow of battle and such it'll move quicker, but off the top of my head;

If you have questions about anything, ask them here, before the session starts.

I will do my best to speed things up as a DM as much as I can. Preparing enemy pogs ahead of time (which I haven't been doing), getting the most relevant DM information printed out and right in front of me so I'm not scanning pages and clicking tabs while you're all piling things in the chat window, and anything else I can think of. Maptool also strikes me as more efficient, hopefully I'll be able to spend enough time with that in the coming week that we can adopt it.

Have your own character sheet open, and (if you are a newbie) learn where all the relevant information is. It is tedious to load up peoples character sheets whenever they want to know what this or that roll is, having them all open at once slows down my computer, and I already have a load of tabs open in the first place. (Actually, I suppose I should just print out everyones sheets too)

To that effect, make dice macro's for all your attacks, saves, and initiative, at least.

In many encounters it should be pretty easy to decide what you're going to do while waiting for your turn. This helps.

When we're doing doing initiative specifically, and anything else that requires a multitude of rolls like that, please don't fill the chat up with side discussions, so I don't have to scroll through a mess of text or arrange a battle order.

In fact, I might just adopt an entirely separate OOC chat, since it's confusing as hell when two characters are discussing one thing, two another, and someone else is trying to perform an action.

I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying my best to speed things up. The way things are now I'm considering letting the party size drop (through natural causes, of course), because it's harder to handle 6 people smoothly than I thought. This is a less than ideal scenario. I'd rather just make things efficient enough that a 6-person party can get things done at a decent speed. I'll take a hard look at the availabilities and figure out when our next couple sessions could work, possibly skipping people for one session. More sessions = more progress, and it's very hard to get even 1 session a week with peoples availabilities as they are.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:19:47 pm by kinseti »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:54 pm »

So, Rooster was saying the games are going too slowly and I have to agree with him. Yes, tabletop games can be slow, they're slower online, and our party is primarily newbies. Slow is expected. But this is very slow. I'll give some thought towards speeding it up, and hopefully once everyone gets used to the flow of battle and such it'll move quicker, but off the top of my head;
You talked about whether the pack animal was a mule or a donkey, and whether or not they were the same, for ten minutes or something.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 57