Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48780 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (TOOZDAI?)
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:30 pm »

Yeah.  Richard Dawkins also reminds me of a CofE vicar, and he sortof sounds like one too, which is vaguely ironic.

Anyway, I'm sure me and Richard the Evil Fiend will get on just fine as long as he doesn't start torturing innocent things, or randomly purging people with fire.  If he does... well, there's not much I can do, other than whack him with a mace and lose my powahs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »

A focus is different from a material component in that a focus isn't used up.  You can use it over and over again.  Material components are consumed by the spell.  And yeah, it's usually assumed you have all the material components and focuses for your spells unless it's something expensive or rare.

Killing an evil PC for being evil will not make you lose your powers, unless your DM is a douchebag.
Shoes...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2009, 04:54:57 pm »

My, it's like a focus stone from Valdemar. Are focus items different for each person?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2009, 05:03:39 pm »

No.  Some spells need a focus though, and it varies between spells.  All divine spells require a holy/unholy symbol as a focus, though.
Shoes...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2009, 05:26:49 pm »

One question: with the spell "message" I can whisper to things over long distances, and receive replies. Can I do this from a hiding place without giving myself away? And can my social abilities still work when using this spell?

You're still whispering, so if someone is close they will get a listen check to see if they hear you. They'd need to get a really high result to pinpoint your location from it, but it might prompt a "hey did you hear something?" sort of response from someone nearby on a decent roll. And yeah, your social skills would still apply, but for certain things you'd get a penalty, like diplomacy if they didn't know who the voice was coming from. Or other weird uses.

Actually, combining your ridiculously high bluff score and the message spell might have some pretty clever uses, now that I think about it.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

If you're planning on using it to get a guy to start a riot and destroy a city don't bother--that's already on my to-do list.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »

I just want to know the full extent of my abilities. Making people think there's voices in their head is just a bonus.

Another question: Will a person being targetted by the message spell KNOW that they're being targetted? Even if I don't say anything?

What's your character like CJ? I don't think you've talked about him at all.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

Basically, Richard is the comic relief. He is a psychopathic murderer who enjoys ending lives almost as much as preserving his own. However, his friends are the notable exception to this rule. He is very devoted to his companions and will protect them fervently from an perceived threat, even if the "threat" is harmless. He also has a love of young, small, or otherwise cute animals; but only ones he has developed a personal relationship with, such as his donkey Thunderhoof.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »

Do you really have to be Richard?  Can't you be a chaotic evil necromancer of your own devising?  It seems kind of cheap to just lift one out of a tongue-in-cheek webcomic.

Also, I think ghost sound would be a more effective way to mess with people's heads regarding noises.  You make a board creak across the room, the orc turns around to checka it out, and BAM, surprise heart surgery.

Speaking of which, I'm going to redo my feats to make my rogue a bit more damage competitive.  That -1 strength bonus sucks when my ranged weapon is also tied to strength.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »

If you insist, I'll change the name. However, he will have his own developing personality, more and different than what the Richard of LFG is.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2009, 06:02:27 pm »

Basically, Richard is the comic relief. He is a psychopathic murderer who enjoys ending lives almost as much as preserving his own. However, his friends are the notable exception to this rule. He is very devoted to his companions and will protect them fervently from an perceived threat, even if the "threat" is harmless. He also has a love of young, small, or otherwise cute animals; but only ones he has developed a personal relationship with, such as his donkey Thunderhoof.

Can I call you Dick?

Also, what webcomic are you talking about Cthulhu?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 04, 2009, 06:03:30 pm »

I can't remember what it's called, but Richard is from a webcomic.  It's the one with the elf and Richard and maybe some goblins or something.  It's one of the few well-drawn humor webcomics I've seen.

Fack, rogues don't have a BAB until level 2 so I can't get Weapon Finesse, that sucks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:05:20 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

It's called Looking For Group.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »

http://www.lfgcomic.com/

Looking For Group

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile