Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48623 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2009, 08:56:47 pm »

Each class has class skills that are related to the job.  Wizards have stuff like Spellcraft, Concentration, Knowledge, and the like.  Cross-class skills costs two skill points to get one rank, and you can only have like half as many, rounded up.

Ranks, that is.

Example:

I have a wizard.  He has however many skill points.  Spellcraft is a class skill, so I can put four points in spellcraft at level 1, giving me four ranks.  Open Lock, however, is not a class skill for wizards.  I can only get two ranks in open lock, and it costs four skill points to get those two ranks.  Of course, if I'm getting open lock on a wizard, I'm doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:58:39 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:10 pm »

Then how come it lets me have the cross-class skills with the normal exchange rate? I.e. it lets me have 4 ranks in a cross-class skill.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »

I get ninja'd every time in this damn topic.

The char builder says checking the box changes a skill from cross-class to class, I have no idea why that option's available since it's not allowed. That might be why. So ignore the check boxes.

"Cross class" skills are skills that your chosen class wouldn't normally be proficient in. You have to spend 2 skill points to get a one rank (the effective bonus) in a cross class skill, whereas class skills are a 1:1 ratio. The maximum number of ranks you can get for a cross-class skill is also half that of a class skill. But cthulhu beat me to that part >_>

Mind if I redo my character sheet? After reading up a little, I'd like to change things.

Yeah that's fine. Nothing's set in stone yet. If you're going for social skills and magic, you could always be a Sorcerer. They cast spells using sexy power.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:02:23 pm by kinseti »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »

SEXY POWER!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:22 pm »

Fun Fact #1: A Rogue with Use Magic Device and some Wands of Cure Light Wounds makes a better healer than a Cleric can ever hope to be. Clerics are the ultimate buffers\melee warriors and at around level ~6 - 10ish they become the ultimate everything and are quite capable of replacing the entire party.

Fun Fact #2: The healing domain sucks balls. You don't have enough Cleric spells to make preparing healing spells worthwhile at anything except low levels, additionally monsters will do far more damage in 1 round than you can heal in 1 round, don't bother healing people in combat except to stabilise them; you're better off killing the monsters and healing outside of combat with Fun Fact #3

Fun Fact #3: Wands of Cure Light Wounds are your friend. They're very cheap and come with 50 charges of 1d8+1 healing (you can increase the + for more golds, but it's not worth it, you're better off buying another wand). Cure Light wands are basically health batteries that you burn up outside of combat to keep everyone on their toes so as to avoid the inevitable "Monster critted the Fighter and now i'm out of healing spells so it's time to call it a day" scenario that you will otherwise run into.

Although this looks like a pretty newby game, so it's probably not worth bothering with optimisation, just hope that A: Your DM knows what he's doing, and B: You don't get into high levels.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »

The char builder says checking the box changes a skill from cross-class to class, I have no idea why that option's available since it's not allowed. That might be why. So ignore the check boxes.

You can get feats and class features that change class skills. A Cleric with the Knowledge domain for example gets all the Knowledge skills added as class skills.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:03 pm »

Hmm, i see we have a rediculously huge player list. While i don't have the time to run a full on campaign (even a prepublished one) for 2 - 3 weeks yet, i can run a weekly dungeon crawl if anyone would like.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:36 pm »

FIRST IN TO THIS.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »

Is there any limit as to my equipment?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »

Check the first page. kinseti put his rules thar.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 09:48:27 pm »

Okay I've copied over my character to the mythweavers site and made a few chances to skills and added the stuff I bought, feel free to check to make sure I did it right.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »

So many tanks.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:56 pm »

Tanky Fighters are the easiest class to play (and are just as easy to screw up) so most new players automatically gravitate to them.

You'll be fine so long as the campaign doesn't go further than ~6 - 8th level.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »

Hmm, i see we have a rediculously huge player list. While i don't have the time to run a full on campaign (even a prepublished one) for 2 - 3 weeks yet, i can run a weekly dungeon crawl if anyone would like.
SECOND

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2009, 09:58:39 pm »

With the player list as long as it is, that's quite likely.
I'll roll up a halfling archery ranger, that should give some sort of balance.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57