Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeast?  (Read 1683 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Megabeast?
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:22:01 pm »

A dragon attacked, and I prepared for a great battle with serious losses.

Then it wandered up my main entrance and was crushed by a boulder. Talk about anti-climatic.

At least it burnt half of the departing elven caravan before it died.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:24:26 pm »

Yep, megabeasts are pretty shrimpy right now, and rockfall traps are pretty overpowered as well. Hopefully the new releases' coming anatomy changes will make dragons tough enough to handle that.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 04:27:18 pm »

Some of the megabeast and normal monsters have been seriously pumped up.

Expect a small group of Ironmen to possibly walk through those traps.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:19 am »

Expect a small group of Ironmen to possibly walk through those traps.

I fully expect ironmen to be nigh-impossible to defeat without legendary hammerdwarves, cave-ins, chasms, or very deep pits.  It will be glorious.

For similar reasons, I figure the bronze colossus will keep its title as King of Megabeasts.  The new dragons and occasionally titans may give it a run for its money, though.  The new Arena mode should help us sort them out.  Speaking of which, I wonder how ironmen (in various quantities) will fare against the colossus...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:24:04 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:27:06 am »

That was exactly like my first dragon!

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:35:34 am »

Arena mode?
Is there something I don't know?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:31:30 am »

Arena mode?

Yes:

Quote from: Toady One - 08/22/2009 - Dev_Now
I'm going ahead with the arena idea we discussed a bit before -- not arenas in adventure mode, but a mod testing mode. The current simple idea, which can be expanded after this release, is to allow the selection of a raw folder (either the main one or one of the ones associated to a current save, active or not) and to create a 144x144x9 arena with a floor, sky, magma and water. Next up is being able to stick critters in there with equipment and skills, and give them sides. Then you could have them fight and read the combat reports, or jump into one of them and play using adventure mode controls, or just see if they can walk around or live in general. I've got a creatureless version of it up and running in a stripped down dwarf mode -- there are lots of things to fix up, since there isn't any civilization information etc. loaded up and dwarf mode doesn't really like that. This time around, you can't save anything and there are no buildings or jobs created. We can do stuff like that later, after this release is up. The purpose here is basic creature/weapon/armor/material testing.

Quote from: Toady One - 8/24/2009 - Dev_Now
The basic arena I described last time is up and running with creatures that can be created with items and skills. You can make as many creatures as you want and they can be assigned to teams or set to go it alone. You can have as many teams as you want (well, 100, but that should be enough). There are still various dwarf-mode residue problems to sort out, and several creature problems have come to light. We wanted to test a shark vs. whale confrontation, and they just ended up tail slapping each other. Lots of welts all around. I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm guessing the teeth are too small to be registered or something, so the sharks go to their secondary attack, but there are lots of candidates. Various other mistakes have already been fixed, from arena critters all starting off by self-targeting (and succeeding in hitting themselves) to dragons having their sizes rollover to negatives and being treated as formless ghosts as a result.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:27 am »

Trogdor the Burninator?

Hoepfully there will be a new tag on all the Megas.

[CANT_ATOM_SMASH]
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 10:56:17 am »

Or Titans of Hope. Or something.
"I do hope I'll be able to kill you all by lunchtime."
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 11:19:57 am »

Keep it secret, keep it safe!

Oh, and is that last one Tar-Depth, The Tenacity of Joy? (look it up. Also, there is apparently no hope in the Dwarven language.)

I'm thinking a mod where everything is {spoiler}, even the pets. Or just creating a hundred opposing {spoiler} and shooping in as an adventurer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angellus

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:42 pm »

Arena mode?

Yes:

Quote from: Toady One - 08/22/2009 - Dev_Now
I'm going ahead with the arena idea we discussed a bit before -- not arenas in adventure mode, but a mod testing mode. The current simple idea, which can be expanded after this release, is to allow the selection of a raw folder (either the main one or one of the ones associated to a current save, active or not) and to create a 144x144x9 arena with a floor, sky, magma and water. Next up is being able to stick critters in there with equipment and skills, and give them sides. Then you could have them fight and read the combat reports, or jump into one of them and play using adventure mode controls, or just see if they can walk around or live in general. I've got a creatureless version of it up and running in a stripped down dwarf mode -- there are lots of things to fix up, since there isn't any civilization information etc. loaded up and dwarf mode doesn't really like that. This time around, you can't save anything and there are no buildings or jobs created. We can do stuff like that later, after this release is up. The purpose here is basic creature/weapon/armor/material testing.

Quote from: Toady One - 8/24/2009 - Dev_Now
The basic arena I described last time is up and running with creatures that can be created with items and skills. You can make as many creatures as you want and they can be assigned to teams or set to go it alone. You can have as many teams as you want (well, 100, but that should be enough). There are still various dwarf-mode residue problems to sort out, and several creature problems have come to light. We wanted to test a shark vs. whale confrontation, and they just ended up tail slapping each other. Lots of welts all around. I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm guessing the teeth are too small to be registered or something, so the sharks go to their secondary attack, but there are lots of candidates. Various other mistakes have already been fixed, from arena critters all starting off by self-targeting (and succeeding in hitting themselves) to dragons having their sizes rollover to negatives and being treated as formless ghosts as a result.
Thanks.

Too bad, I was hoping you would be able to build an arena and make an arena zone in it (Like pitting/ponding creatures) with a lot of extra options.

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »

the last dragon that came into my current fort(well the first thus far); came at a time early in my fortresses' life (70-80 dwarfs), the winged lizard suddenly appeared and began laying waste to the un-trapped part of my hall, it eventually made it's way to may fairly open trade depot were it lit all of my flammable trade goods on fire at which point it set itself on fire(as well as my trade depot and a small stockpile of graphite not moved to my stone pile).

Then my dorfs began running to the depot (because that's "only" time they move goods from it with any zeal) then they caught on fire, and then brutally died. Over all 14 dorfs died that day ll but 4 are attributable to the fire, then a huge wave of immigrants as well as my baron/hammerer/tax-collector arrived.

the graphite is still burning (for four seasons now).
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:30:55 pm »

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:24 pm »

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: [1] 2