Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too Many Wrestlers?  (Read 1936 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Too Many Wrestlers?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:30 pm »

I think the problem might be that they're all CHAMPION wrestlers. So they've gotten it into their pig heads that they know what's best and that all weapons are for sissy's, I think I've seen them throwing refuse at the marksdwarves >_>

Pity there's not training dummies. Build them with a weapon and then set your dwarves to fighting them. You couldn't get champion level with them, or maybe you'd just train MUCH slower than the deadly training dwarves undergo normally...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 08:24:48 pm »

Unfortunately, due to a bug, any dwarf who has ever wrestled seems to decide that using a crossbow is too complex a task to complete, and will never use one.

Sorry!

Wrong. There's a bug where wrestlers will forget to drop items they've stripped off of other dwarves. Manually dump the items in their hands that don't belong there and they'll go back to normal behavior.

Any soldier of legend will be a skilled wrestler. The dodge and ability to repel other wrestlers is insanely powerful, plus it trains wicked fast.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 01:15:25 am »

Yes, but I think you're missing my point when I say they're ALL legendary wrestlers, as in that's they're primary weapon skill...

of course, I've just given them all weapons and since they never trained in them any more than my other recruits, the wrestlers who I want to be hammer/mace dwarves should become hammer/mace dwarves fairly soon.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 01:43:19 am »

The problem probably is that you didn't unequip their shields.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Nerdgasmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:23:50 am »

Unfortunately, due to a bug, any dwarf who has ever wrestled seems to decide that using a crossbow is too complex a task to complete, and will never use one.

Sorry!

Wrong. There's a bug where wrestlers will forget to drop items they've stripped off of other dwarves. Manually dump the items in their hands that don't belong there and they'll go back to normal behavior.

Any soldier of legend will be a skilled wrestler. The dodge and ability to repel other wrestlers is insanely powerful, plus it trains wicked fast.
If this doesn't work for any reason, switching off the wrestler's armor and then switching it  back on will alleviate the problem.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:29:20 am »

(Text)

First off, thats hilarious. How do you drop food & booze through the hole? Put a pit at the bottom and dump or something?

Second, why would this solve the not training with weapons problem? Is it that whenever they go to spar with someone who is a wrestler, they put their weapon up and wrestle back, so isolating the weapon-dwarves will cause them to mostly spar with weapons?

Place a 2x1 garbage dump zone on the floor, 1 tile on solid ground, one over the channel you want them to dump things into. They will walk to the solid ground designated as a dump, and then toss whatever is set to be dumped into the channel. This has plenty of uses for moving things around.

Secondly, I assume it will be because the wrestlers will grab the others, and when grabbed a dwarf can only try to break the hold, not attack using his actual weapon. This is the reason why groups of goblin wrestlers can take down unlucky woodcutters and the like outside, 4 of them hold him down so he can't do anything but try to get loose, and the rest beat him up. This can be tested in adventure mode, which seems to use the same combat system(Although slower).

As for just giving the wrestlers a crossbow, that's not a bad idea for the fortress guard, instead of running after a kobold thief or berserk dwarf, they can just shoot them. And even dwarves with a nerve injury(Brain, spine, neck) will train with a crossbow.(Which is also the safest way to train, I've not once seen a marksdwarf get a sparring injury, not counting the one time I dropped the ceiling of the archery range on a group of them by mistake)

The wrestlers problem seems to be because they wrestle away things from their opponent, like how a quickly activated dwarf beating up an elf can manage to somehow pull the elf's thong off and will then keep holding on to it, even long after he's returned to being a civilian.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »

Yeah, my champion wrestling guard doesn't appear to want to equip bows... /sigh, going to see if making a bunch of iron hammers will work...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:48:34 pm »

If they won't equip one weapon, they probably won't equip any others either. As stated, the simplest way is to simply set them all to not wear any armor, which should cause them to drop all of the stuff they've been holding onto.

In order to prevent them from sparring in the meantime, just temporarily undesignate your barracks. Assign them armor, then assign them shields, then finally assign them weapons - once they're all done, turn the barracks back on and they should start training their weapon skills.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »

The bug i meantioned is as follows.

If a dwarf has trained their wrestling skill at all, they will no longer be able to train their Crossbowdwarf skill with an archery target.

It is quite a commonly mentioned Bug.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 06:16:45 pm »

If a dwarf has trained their wrestling skill at all, they will no longer be able to train their Crossbowdwarf skill with an archery target.

And I can state that this is completely false - in my last fortress, all of my soldiers trained to be Champion wrestlers, at which point they were assigned crossbows and war hammers and trained those skills all the way to legendary as well. I even swapped them around a few times, so they eventually got to legendary at Hammerdwarf and Marksdwarf.

Granted, I did have to dump unwanted equipment from their hands at several points, but they most certainly did practice at my archery ranges.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:40 pm »

And I can state that this is completely false - in my last fortress, all of my soldiers trained to be Champion wrestlers, at which point they were assigned crossbows and war hammers and trained those skills all the way to legendary as well. I even swapped them around a few times, so they eventually got to legendary at Hammerdwarf and Marksdwarf.

Granted, I did have to dump unwanted equipment from their hands at several points, but they most certainly did practice at my archery ranges.

Confirming this.  I have no problems what so ever training wrestling and then marksmen on my dwarves.  However, every time I switch them from wrestling to marksmen I always strip them of any equipment they may have yanked off a sparring partner.

One possibility of the root of the marksmen wrestlers not shooting at archery targets is the fact that some of them retain items in their hands after wrestling it off their sparring partners.  Crossbows are 2 handed weapons (but for some reason still work with a bucker equipped.  Not sure about shields.) and they won't work if they have anything in their hands as it prevents them from firing the weapon.  The other hand is supposed to hold the bolts (plus one extra set in a quiver if one is equipped).

Another possibility is a quiver might be what lets a dwarf to fire a crossbow if they have something in the other hand.  Normally a creature is supposed to have a bow/crossbow in one hand and a stack of arrows/bolts in the other plus another stack in a quiver if one is equipped.  I've never observed my marksdwarves holding a stack of ammo like goblins do, but at the same time I've always equipped my marksdwarves with bucklers and never had a marksdwarf that didn't have a quiver equipped.

Though I haven't really extensively tested this and is merely based on some first hand observations.  I could be completely talking out of my ass here.  I should test this TBH.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:55:52 pm by Kravick »

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:37 pm »

I think if they have shields assigned from the start they also won't rip eachother's clothes off when training wrestling.  I allways assign shields and have never had problems with wrestlers stripping eachother. 

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 12:07:34 am »

I think if they have shields assigned from the start they also won't rip eachother's clothes off when training wrestling.  I allways assign shields and have never had problems with wrestlers stripping eachother. 

I've had them do it, but restricts them to only pulling off 1 item instead of 2 and seems to lower the chances of it happening as a result as well.  They just end up beating each other with clothes but still allows them to gain in wrestling.
Pages: 1 [2]