Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too Many Wrestlers?  (Read 1935 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Too Many Wrestlers?
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »

When I first started my fortress and got my fortress guard up, I made sure they were all wrestlers, so that if any of my dwarves happened to get drug off for beatings, they'd be less likely to die. Now they're all champion wrestlers (and I have 1 other champion wrestler in the military).

I'm trying to train up a squad of hammer and mace dwarves, but so far all they've gained is skill points in wrestling. I think the champions might (don't know how to check) be pulling away their weapons fairly soon in their sparring, and so they don't get to level up their mace/hammer dwarfery. Is there a way to fix this? (note: I haven't actually seen any weapons lieing around on the ground while they're tumbling about sparring, so I could be wrong about the disarming them part)

edit: On the other hand, is it a bad thing to have an army made entirely out of champion wrestlers in full plate? I mean, ya gotta admit, that's a pretty bad ass image of an army of warrior monks (and they have managed to push off goblin raiding parties and 1 siege before now...)
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too Many Wrestlers?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:58 pm »

Gather all your good wrestlers, and put them on duty, or locked away somewhere, they won't spar with the newer recruits, allowing them to train their actual weaponry skills.

You can lock away all the good wrestlers in a barracks behind a locked door, and then take them off duty too, they will spar together, but not with others, drop in food and booze through a hole in the ceiling.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that :3 I just hope no one breaks any mandates or commits other crimes while my fortress guard are locked up >.<

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »

Lock up the hammerer along with them and it'll be fine. 

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »

Lock up the hammerer along with them and it'll be fine. 

This is always a good idea, even when the current nobles are... "Sleeping".
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »

Gather all your good wrestlers, and put them on duty, or locked away somewhere, they won't spar with the newer recruits, allowing them to train their actual weaponry skills.

You can lock away all the good wrestlers in a barracks behind a locked door, and then take them off duty too, they will spar together, but not with others, drop in food and booze through a hole in the ceiling.

First off, thats hilarious. How do you drop food & booze through the hole? Put a pit at the bottom and dump or something?

Second, why would this solve the not training with weapons problem? Is it that whenever they go to spar with someone who is a wrestler, they put their weapon up and wrestle back, so isolating the weapon-dwarves will cause them to mostly spar with weapons?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »

Another option is to assign all the wresters weapons.  Then they won't wrestle.  If you're worried about sparring injuries when mismatched dwarves spar you can assign all your wrestlers crossbows toget them out of the way, but layered armor and silver weapons seems to work fine at least for blunt weapons. 

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »

Another option is to assign all the wresters weapons.  Then they won't wrestle.  If you're worried about sparring injuries when mismatched dwarves spar you can assign all your wrestlers crossbows toget them out of the way, but layered armor and silver weapons seems to work fine at least for blunt weapons. 

OH! THAT'S BRILLIANT! I can do the same with my fortress guard! (who are all wrestlers and the root of the problem, since I can't turn them off)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:39:28 pm »

Unfortunately, due to a bug, any dwarf who has ever wrestled seems to decide that using a crossbow is too complex a task to complete, and will never use one.

Sorry!

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:54:31 pm »

Unfortunately, due to a bug, any dwarf who has ever wrestled seems to decide that using a crossbow is too complex a task to complete, and will never use one.

Sorry!

Are you sure about that? Because I've given marksdwarves wrestling/armor training to up their survivability and it seems to work out fine.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »

I believe that i should have specified Using archery targets, rather than thr bows themselves good sir.

However, the point still holds. Sort of.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:12 pm »

Yeah... started noticing that... though to their credit, the wrestlers in full plate seem to be able to kick some serious goblin ass... even sword masters and spearmen... so maybe it's not an entirely bad thing? I'm about to lock the recruits in to some place... hmmm... gives me an idea, I'll get back to yall.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:20:41 pm »

you should be aware, if you have champions, they will kick ANYTHING'S ass, the enemies are literally only JUST trained.

This will be rectified in future versions.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 07:16:03 pm »

Wait... seriously? o_O maybe I should just leave my army to go and be wrestlers then...

of course, assuming my fort SURVIVES that long... then I'll probably not want to have an "army of Wrestlers" going on when the update you're talking about happens, will I?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:18:40 pm by shadowclasper »

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »

My wrestler/marksdwarves have no trouble using archery targets. 
Pages: [1] 2