Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to decorate a coffin when it's already a tomb for something?  (Read 489 times)

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The oldest cat in the fort, Sigun Tumamlikot AKA Sigun Moralinked and pet of my fortress's best engraver, Rith Azinzon or Rith Watchhelm is going to die of old age.

Seeing as I do like this cat and I'm sorry to see him go, and he's also the first animal in the fortress to die, I'm going to give him a very nice solid platinum coffin covered in jewels and bones.

The tomb would be smoothed and engraved and 5 squares wide with the coffin in the centre. All of the necessary items are ready to go and in fairly large numbers.

What's the problem you ask? Well, seeing as I took to ending the task in my taskmanager when things go horribly wrong, I've been racing against time to give him a good enough burial assigned to his corpse as a proper tomb that's an actual room, not just an assigned place of resting, but the past few times he's died before I can make it.

I think at a stretch, I might be able to get it all ready in time, but life will be a lot easier if I can just make the platinum coffin, place it in the tomb and then decorate it later. Is it possible to do this?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, only a placed coffin can hold remains, and placed furniture will not be taken for decorating.
Assigned tombs can not be used for pets either, only regularly placed coffins can.

You may have some more luck if you put the coffin in a locked room with a workshop, a skilled enough dwarf, and stuff to decorate it with, they won't run off to eat or drink then, but sadly they will still sleep.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't see why it matters that the coffin be completely decorated and placed before the cat dies.
Why can't you just let him die, then build the coffin when it's done and enable burial?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just build a coffin and stuff the cat in it.  When the cat is done decomposing (T over it and see if it is just bones) you can deconstruct the coffin and then decorate it to your heart's content.  Rebuild it and then redesignate it for pet burial purposes.  Your cat bones get buried and the only unhappy thoughts you ever get are the cat's initial death.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

Urist was utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious burial arrangements lately.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!