Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best high building method?  (Read 1860 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
Best high building method?
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:55 am »

Hi!

What would be the best method to build high walls/buildings? If I just add layer upon layer the dwarves will make a mistake somewhere and some areas will remain unaccessible. And building stairs around the WHOLE constructions is just a pain in the a$$..

How do you do it?
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Best high building method?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:30 am »

You mean in the corners?
Code: [Select]
. = floor
# = wall
X = stairs

.X.
THEN
#.#
#X#
#.#
THEN
###
#X#
###
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

cbingel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:38:18 am »

For buildings, I'll just build a single stair to the next level, and then lay the floor down.  I put an extra piece of floor on the outside of each corner, so they can build the wall corners, then I deconstruct the extra piece.  When the walls and floor are done, I construct another set of stairs and repeat.  Same thing with walls, except sometimes you need to build temporary floors, like scaffolding.
GENERATION -24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:43:03 am »

For buildings, I'll just build a single stair to the next level, and then lay the floor down.  I put an extra piece of floor on the outside of each corner, so they can build the wall corners, then I deconstruct the extra piece.  When the walls and floor are done, I construct another set of stairs and repeat.  Same thing with walls, except sometimes you need to build temporary floors, like scaffolding.

Scaffolding is exactly what I'm trying to avoid because deconstruction is so painful. :(
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:04:48 am »

Depends what you're building, but a good general rule is build stairways first, then corner walls, then everything else. As long as you're building on top of other walls, no scaffolding should be necessary if everything is built in the right order.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:08:11 am »

Actually scaffolding is needed if you are building a roof , especially a complicated roof.  I would use instead is a combination of wall and ramp that goes up the side of the building.  Deconstruction for that is much easier then compared to stairs.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:17:53 am »

Scaffolding is exactly what I'm trying to avoid because deconstruction is so painful. :(

Deconstruction is only painful if you're standing underneath it at the time.. ;)

For buildings and other constructions with an enclosed area then just put stairs and a floor on each.. er, floor and designate the corners last (they'll be done first).  For a long wall more than 1 z high you'll need the billions of scaffolds approach, or extreme patience to designate it 1 wall piece at a time.  There's no quick way to do it that doesn't trap your dwarves or leave gaps.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:31 am »

Actually, if you just carefully deconstruct everything that could hurt anyone (which is most likely just some floors on the upper level(s)), then build a support supporting the scaffolding, remove the up-stairs formerly supporting the scaffolding, link the support to a lever, get everyone the hell away from the scaffolding and pull the lever, you'll have an Instant Deconstruction Device.
I'm pretty sure that forcefully deconstructed walls don't punch through natural or constructed floors without a wall under it, but you should test it first. Otherwise, it'll be painful indeed.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:28:17 am »

Deconstruction is only painful if you're standing underneath it at the time.. ;)

Tell me about it... I had a series of floor hatches over a 5 z-level pit and wanted to replace them with a bridge.  I set them to deconstruct, leave, come back a little while later and am greeted by the following horrifying image:

. = dirt floor
c = hatch
:) = dorf

.ccccccc

flashing with

:):):):):):):) c

Urist Emptiedskull cancels deconstruct a building: Dangerous terrain.

Fortunately, only 1 fell down the pit, but he broke a leg and an arm.  He was one of my legendary carpenters, too.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:08:40 am »

Well, I'm planning on building a tower with a wide cylindrical base. I have 37 z-levels to work with, so I dunno, maybe make it 20 tiles or so in diameter, or maybe 10. The fort I'm planning on doing it in has just started and is in the 'getting set up' mode (building defenses, digging out the neccesary rooms, etc), so I don't have the foundation in for it yet.

I've built a few small towers before and have some experience working with scaffolding (I used it for a big shield wall I needed in another fort), but nothing on this scale. So, I could certainly take some construction tips and advice from here.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:22 am »

You could just leave the scaffolding up.  That's what I do.  Use bridges instead of floors.  They take less material and if you them to go away you just need to hook a lever to them and throw it.  If you ever want them back for deconstruction you just throw the lever again. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »

Well, since I'm doing a roughly cylindrical tower (I'm actually going to expand out and do stuff near the top, but I can just start the scaffolding a bit below where I want to do it.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 12:18:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure that forcefully deconstructed walls don't punch through natural or constructed floors without a wall under it, but you should test it first. Otherwise, it'll be painful indeed.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, they do.  I had a situation in a suxxtion game like this:

Top View

C - constructed wall.

. - floor

~ - River 1 z-level down.

~~~~~
CCCC~
...C~

See that wall on the corner?  It was directly above the river, but 2 z-levels down, there was a part of the fort.  From the side it looked like this:

C - contructed wall
~ - water
W - natural wall
. - Hallway

CCC
~~~~
WW.W

Long story short, that corner piece fell, broke through the riverbed, and flooded almost the enitre fortress up to the waterlevel of the river.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 12:22:35 pm »

So, in other words, constructed things will always deconstruct in a cave in?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »

Constructed things deconstruct when they're dropped.  But they'll punch through floors anyway.
Pages: [1] 2