Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Dwarf Per Farm!  (Read 1727 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Dwarf Per Farm!
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:05:21 am »

Does anyone have a nifty method to made sure only a single dwarf is able to work on a select farm?

All I can think of so far is something like...
XXXXXXXX
XXXBP___XXXXXX
XXX3XXX2X_W_X
XXXEX___X____X
XXX_X_XXXX_XXX
X_______XFFFFFX
1_______1FFFFFX
X_______XFFFFFX
XXXX1XXXXXXXXX
XXXX_XXX
XSSSSSSX
XSSSSSSX
XSSSSSSX
XXXX*XXX

X = Wall
_ = Floor
B = Bed
P = Pressure Plate 1
E = Pressure Plate 2
1 = Door Connected to P
2 = Door Connected to E
3 = Door Connected to P and E
* = Forbidden Door
F = Farm Plot
S = Stockpile
W = Well

The front door starts closed, as well as door to the short path to the bed.
When the dwarf enters his home to sleep, he will have to take the long path to the bed, triggering P in the process, which will close the front door, open the door to the farm, plant stockpile, and short path out the bed, and open the short path from the bed.

When he wakes, he will take the short path, which will trigger E and close the door to the short path (Forcing a return trip through the long path). He, unable to do anything else, will continue to farm (I think?), storing plants in the stockpile. If he gets hungry, he can eat a plant. If he gets thirsty he can drink from the well. When he gets tired again, he goes back to sleep along the long path, which again triggers P. This time it closes the door to the farm and stockpile, opens the short path door again, and opens the front door.

When he wakes up this time, and leaves his room, he will trigger E which will close the door to the short path behind him (thus returning the building to its original state), and he will be able to merrily leave his home to hang out with friends, do some communal jobs, and maybe work the farms in the city. Now the forbidden door (*) can be un-forbidden, and the stockpiled food can be transferred to the nearby kitchen for boozing and meal-ing.

However, I kind of feel that I am 1) starting something that won't work too well, and 2) Dooming my solitary farmers to high mortality rates.

Does anyone think this will work as I imagine it? Can it be simplified? Is there an all together easier way to limit one dwarf to a farm plot?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:07:01 am by QuantumSawdust »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Per Farm!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:09:46 am »

Pressure plates work the same as levers, sending open and close signals(and toggle to gears) they send an 'open' signal when activated and a 'close' signal 100 steps after the activating conditions end, you would need something else to stay activated when the plate disengages.

for instance, make plate 'a' activate a door or floodgate that allows water to flood a square that's triggered by water, and plate 'b' to open a second door that allows that square to drain.

you'll also have to use a signal interter of some sort or a combnation of doors and bridges otehrwise all the doors will be open or be closed at the same tome, not some open and some closed.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:55 am »

I assume you cannot just set workshop profiles on a farm plot? I never checked that, I have to admit...

Automated airlocks are a kind of a pita to build and it will get overly complicated and not very reliable I fear.

You might want to consider building the farm area hermit style and put the output storage in an airlock room controlled by a single lever (doors on one side leading to the fortress and a raising bridge abused as door on the other side, so they alternate)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:47:14 pm »

Reese - thanks for the info, ridiculously useful if I go forward with this. And very good to know regardless.

Puck - hmmmm, yes, my main problem is that I want my fortress to be easily accessed by invading armies (no drawbridges, doors), and I also want the surface farming/fishing community to be at risk from goblins and such. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with the hermit idea. Not to mention it would be a bit odd to have my fortress accessible, but my surface housing invincible.

Maybe I'll just think of something else.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:24:33 pm »

I like the whole though of a farming community. Or perhaps more like Family farms on the outskirts of the fortress/village/human town. And while it's not going to help us now, I think I know what one of my first tests with the new burrows are going to be.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:14:37 am »

It's possible to create "sticky" pressure plates, and to turn any trigger into a toggle, but what's the point?  The design already has one door that must be manually forbidden.  Use that door as the only entrance to this farm pod and forbid it once a dwarf enters to harvest.  Unforbid it when he's done harvesting and replanting.

If your goal is to have only one dwarf always use the same plot, then try this:

Code: [Select]
############
###  L #####
  D    G   
###    #####
############
### SS #####
  D SS G   
### SS #####
############

The lever L is hooked up to all the doors D and the bridges G (S is the plant and seed stockpiles).  When it's harvesting time, the farmer dwarf is commanded to pull the lever (set the workshop profile on the lever for only that dwarf).  He'll come in through the open top door D and pull the lever, closing the doors and opening the bridges.  Beyond G are all the farms, booze and food stockpiles, bedroom, internet connection, etc.  All the facilities a lone dwarf needs.

When he's done harvesting and replanting, have him pull the lever again and hope he doesn't head back the way he came, or he'll be stuck behind the bridge.  There are plenty of ways to prevent that without adding yet another door that needs manual forbidding.  The bridges close and the doors open, letting the farmer out and the peasants in to transfer plants out and seeds in.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.