Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A DF based campaign in Battle for Wesnoth.  (Read 2323 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
A DF based campaign in Battle for Wesnoth.
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:12:44 pm »

www.wesnoth.org/

So, I had this idea earlier today when I found that topic about battle for wesnoth on the other games section. We have some awesome stories that DF has spawned by itself that are worthy of something like this, and making campaigns in wesnoth is rather easy, so hell, why don't we try to translate some of these awesome stories into a wesnoth campaign? And I'd like to start with our favorite elf, Cacame.

Wesnoth already has dwarves, elves, humans and goblins, plus a lotsa other races and creatures, so it should be easier then just creating everything from scratch.

I'm putting this on hold until I get a confirmation from holy mittens, to see if he's okay with it and would like to join. I'll leave it to him to choose a campaign name, but I'm open to ideas.

Things we'd need to pull this off:

1-Artists for the unit portraits and story images. Don't care if its coloured or not, it just has to be some good epic art.

2-Sprite artists to modify wesnoth's default elven and dwarven sprites. Dwarves need marksdwarves instead of thunderers, and the whole weapondwarf unit trees. Wesnoth elves need to be redone to fit DF, with new unit trees, new abilities, wooden weapons and such. Humans can stay the way they are, but goblins need a race of their own. Kobolds are optional.

3-Ideas on how dwarven and elven units will be like, what kind of attacks, special abilities, etc. All according to wesnoth of course.

4-Someone who can provide music, but this is optional, we can just use wesnoth's soundtrack.

5-A plot. We need to know how Cacame's life started to change as a kid, into legend. We need to know how it'll play out as a campaign. We need ideas on how the missions will play out, what the objectives will be, etc.

6-People who have some experience with campaign building in wesnoth are very welcome, I have some very limited experience, but the campaign builder is easy to use.

Anyone who's willing to help, or contribute with something, feel free to leave your usenames, I'll put a list togheder soon enough.

==========================================================================

List of things to do:

Units:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scenarios and story:

Art 'n stuff:

Unit appearance for spriters: Idle animations are OPTIONAL.

I'll add more appearances as sprites get done, lets go step by step.

Lotsa work here, on hold until I get a positive from holy mittens.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:43:55 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: A DF based campaign in Battle for Wesnoth.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:27:08 pm »

Heh. While I can't play online ATM, I'd like to help with music side of things.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »

I could make the character sprites. I can't make portraits.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:42 pm »

You can just modify the existing wesnoth dwarf sprites, it'd be easier that way.

We need lotsa new units though, I'll make a list and post on the OP.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:01:00 pm »

Looking through the folder that holds the unit sprites, I discovered that each frame of their animation is a separate image. :(

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:11:51 pm »

Lol aye, thats hwy they're tiresome to make, I used to make some myself, i made 10 then gave up, it takes way too much time alone, tis why I need a decent number of people to pull this off, if not, i'll end up trying it by myself, but that'll take very very long.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:21:21 pm »

I can make maps, given enough time to smash my face on the keyboard to make it look pretty, and i can give ideas on units and plot if you can't find anyone better.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:21 pm »

Bumpy for update on stuff to do.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:01 pm »

I'm pretty damned good with spriting, if I do say so myself... if someone can give me a list of sprites to do, I'd be happy to crank out a few in the Wesnoth style, with combat animations, etc.

I think this would be pretty cool, though. I'd like to maybe see some non-canon DF units as well, like a Dwarven High Runepriest, or a Dungeon Master (in all their multi-caped glory, with faster movement in caves or something). It might be neat to add in a Megabeast or two as well, since default Wesnoth doesn't have much in the way of Fantastic Monsters. Beakdogs/Beakdog Riders,

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:19:24 pm »

Awesome. Basically we'd need all I put on that list plus a few more if you think it'd be needed.
I'll be working on the unit's config files, i'll post some unit's stats when i'm done with some of them.

The campaign itself will only start being built when we got unit's sprites and config files done, we can leave portraits and other images for later.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »

Bumpy for unit appearance list, for easier spriting. These are only guidelines though, anyone is free to use their imagination, as long they turn out as good as the wesnoth's ones.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »

Here's a quick revision on the units list, for completeness, playability, and so on. You can purchase Hounds, Recruits, and any Lv.1 Soldier Dwarf from the list.

Lv 0.                Lv 1.                Lv 2.                Lv 3.        
DWARVES:

Hound(♦∫)       ─┬─> War Hound(♦∫‼)
                 └─> Hunting Hound(♦∫†)

Recruit(♦)      ─┬─> Wrestler(♦)     ─┬─> Grappler(♦)
                 │                    └─> Stonehurler(♦◊)
                 │
                 ├─> Marksdwarf(♦◊)  ─┬─> Crossbowlord(♦◊)───> Arbalaster(♦◊)
                 │                    └─> Ambusher(♦◊†)
                 │
                 ├─> Hammerdwarf(♦)  ─┬─> Hammerlord(♦)   ───> Great Hammerer(♦)
                 │                    └─> Justicar(♦∑)
                 │
                 ├─> Speardwarf(♦)   ─┬─> Spearlord(♦)    ───> Steel Impaler(♦)
                 │                    └─> Javaliner(♦◊)
                 │
                 └─> Axedwarf(♦)     ─┬─> Axelord(♦)      ───> Axe Champion(♦)
                                      └─> Berserker(♦‼)

♦ - This unit has a melee attack.
◊ - This unit has a ranged attack.
∑ - This unit deals lightning (heat) damage.
† - This unit can hide in woodland areas, and ambush opponents.
∫ - This unit can move very far.
‼ - This unit continues to attack until combat ends.

As a related note, using temporary graphics (IE the preexisting ones) is probably better than necessitating Sprites upfront. That's a recepie for abandoning a project before it gets started, and for scaring away artists :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:43:53 am by Solifuge »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:37 pm »

What is the sigma by the Justicar?

Also, we should establish a baseline health and damage for each level, then decide whether or not a unit is weaker or stronger in that regard than the usual.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:47:02 am »

I accidentally deleted that when I deleted the Carp monster, and its symbols. Sigma is for Lightning Damage... I imagine them wielding a sparking Thor's Hammer type weapon, or maybe calling down Lightning as a high-damage, single-strike ranged attack.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

Not every unit needs a secondary prestige class, and we could have at least one alternate path that leads up to level three.

Suggestions:

- The ambusher doesn't work out. Replace with a siege crossbowman or fire archer.
- We need insane units, like Horde of Rabid Cats. Cheap, fast, weak, frail, annoying. Or, perhaps, Burning War Elephants?
- The stonehurler just doesn't fit too. Just cut. Replace with a !!dwarf!! unit maybe. We need more fire.
- Suggestion: Dwarven combat brewer. Deals fire damage in melee and range, heals, and has leadership. Expensive, of course.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2