Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: steampunk  (Read 5283 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: steampunk
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:47:46 am »

I'm trying to remember what series that picture is from- there's an entire series of pictures that are related, I believe, to a tabletop game.

It's concept art from Iron Grip, which started out as a total conversion mod for Half-Life 2 and is now a commercial game. Too bad neither the mod nor the commercial game feature those airships in any meaningful way.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

I'd say that the babadge engine's more akin to clock punk though ;)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 12:02:46 pm »

The one thing that bothers me about steampunk is how oftentimes it isn't scientifically possible.  Bleh.

Dwarf Fortress is by definition not scientifically possible.

I think he means that it's a little silly when a steam-and-machinery setting introduces near-magic technology that would be hard to take seriously in traditional sci-fi, all justified by just running with 19th century styling a little longer.  Take Arcanum for example, with force field hats, machinegunner robot spiders, and a zombie-making remote control.  Eventually you have to ask, why bother the Steam Age underpinning at all?

That said, I loves me some telodynamics and coal burning zeppelins.

And I love how everything is a copper color.

Indeed, it's very charming that the past is always presented in the colors of Sepia photographs of the era.

That's exactly what I meant.

Also, funny you should mention Iron Grip, I was on the Dev team for the Iron Grip HL2 conversion for awhile. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 04:34:51 pm »

There is at least one steampunk angband variation.
Eh?
Eh!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »

Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »

Steampunk includes clockwork, IMO. If a misnomer, it's a good swipe for the whole Victorian-future thing.

Also: That's my kind of computer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »

Well, Rise of Legends is pretty steampunk. And also magical. (huh.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »

Isn't clockwork called clockpunk? In any case, I like the term "gaslamp fantasy."
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 08:12:16 pm »

I like the term "Orgasm of Clanks and Steam".
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »

Hmm I'm considering making a steampunk costume... what would you guys think make up one?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »

EVERYTHING EVER ALL AT ONCE.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »

Samurai 7 is a steampunk anime. There's a short TV series, but the original one is released on DVD.

Here's the its opening song, Unlimited by Aikawa Nanase, with scenes from the TV series

It is inspired by an old movie, Seven Samurai (七人の侍, Shichinin no Samurai), a 1954 Japanese film co-written, edited and directed by Akira Kurosawa (黒澤 明).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:13:52 pm by kcwong »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »

I can't say I'm too familiar with steampunk, but the idea of mixing it with the magic-type fantasy and doing much more than you could do with mechanics don't appeal to me.  Now, the basic idea on it's own seems rather interesting.  But throw in magic . . . why even have the steampunk?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:00 pm »

Like I said... to stick to steampunk as a term for the whole deal. :)

Anyway, I've heard of Seven Samurai... need to get around to watching it, and probably Hidden Fortress and what have you as well...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »

I can't say I'm too familiar with steampunk, but the idea of mixing it with the magic-type fantasy and doing much more than you could do with mechanics don't appeal to me.  Now, the basic idea on it's own seems rather interesting.  But throw in magic . . . why even have the steampunk?
The magic (at least in the game I said) when relating to the machinery was more along the lines of powering them similarly to steam. And to the samurai 7 one I wouldn't say its quite steampunk, alot of the machinery were robots or cyborgs and even the other stuff I would say borderline but not quite crossing into steampunk territory.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway pertaining to my costume question I put out earlier I had the idea because I say a steampunk monocle and a shotgun that looked interesting to build and I'm trying to brainstorm a costume (like would a brown/tan trenchcoat be a good start?).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4