Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: steampunk  (Read 5280 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
steampunk
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »

Doing a quick search I didn't see a steampunk discussion topic so here it is! I myself really like it, the artwork tends to be pretty epic. I was actually looking on some stuff on instrucables for steampunk and am sorrowly tempted to make a steampunk costume now.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: steampunk
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »

The one thing that bothers me about steampunk is how oftentimes it isn't scientifically possible.  Bleh.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »

And goodness knows, realism is integral to fantasy games.
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:13:07 pm »

The one thing that bothers me about steampunk is how oftentimes it isn't scientifically possible.  Bleh.

Dwarf Fortress is by definition not scientifically possible.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »

I'm a bit bothered by Steampunk. Seems nobody can decide if the genre should be about steam machines run by new-age punk teens who make said steam machines the things one would expect from an awesome rave without lasers and colorful lights, or Victorian era mecha fights. Seems to be one or the other.

But yeah, the detailed stuff they make is fantastic. And I love how everything is a copper color.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is by definition not scientifically possible.

I think he means that it's a little silly when a steam-and-machinery setting introduces near-magic technology that would be hard to take seriously in traditional sci-fi, all justified by just running with 19th century styling a little longer.  Take Arcanum for example, with force field hats, machinegunner robot spiders, and a zombie-making remote control.  Eventually you have to ask, why bother the Steam Age underpinning at all?

That said, I loves me some telodynamics and coal burning zeppelins.

And I love how everything is a copper color.

Indeed, it's very charming that the past is always presented in the colors of Sepia photographs of the era.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »

I think that one of the biggest (and most fun) challenges if you're writing or drawing this stuff, is thinking of how -exactly how- these things would work electronics-free. It's just taking the genius that made things such as the Anitkythra to its logical extreme. Not that I've had a ton to do with the genre (although I like it) but coming up with this and not fibbing anything is a fun challenge.

Also: The War in the Air by H.G. Wells.

I'm trying to remember what series that picture is from- there's an entire series of pictures that are related, I believe, to a tabletop game.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:41:00 pm »

I think half the point isn't supposed to be whether it's scientifically possible, but to have the upper-class Victorian ambience around it - top hats, monocles, cups of tea, and the like, and the zeppelins and such fit into that.  Besides, steampunk I've liked the most are the ones that go over-the-top about it.  It's half the fun.  Mind, this may just be different people enjoying it for different reasons, so consistency need not necessarily apply.

Now I just need to find that picture of Lincoln in a steam-powered jetpack...
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »

Victorian era mecha fights. Seems to be one or the other.
That + Airships.

And Zeppelins.
Airships v.s. Zeppelins. (Sensei's picture is goodness)

ALso: Any recommendation for Steampunk game? Preferably free.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »

Girl Genius is a web comic based in a steampunk theme, and it is seven kinds of awesome.

As for games with Steampunk, I can't really think of any (aside from Bioshock, but that's doesn't really count). It's really undersold.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:46:09 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:00 pm »

Besides, steampunk I've liked the most are the ones that go over-the-top about it.  It's half the fun.

Like I said- I like to make a challenge of how over-the-top you can be and still be believable. Trust me, I like absurd things as much as the next guy. It's the same joy from giving a logical explanation as to how one crossbow bolt pierced your nose, left eye, skull, and bruised your right ear.

I do at least not like when steampunk is half-assed. See: Mechanical spiders in NeverWinter Nights 2. Or overly simple (put it in a box) mechanical computers.

Oh, and one of the most appealing ideas to me is a battlefield in which tanks and the like are present, but swords are still highly relevant to a battle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »

Real life steampunk

(Ok maybe this one does use steam, that's not the point)
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:58:03 pm »

That's exactly what steampunk is. Imagine if all these ideas hadn't been scrapped?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:06 pm »

Victorian era mecha fights. Seems to be one or the other.
That + Airships.

And Zeppelins.
Airships v.s. Zeppelins. (Sensei's picture is goodness)

ALso: Any recommendation for Steampunk game? Preferably free.
well there was one called neo-steam I think that sort of revolves around it though magic is involved in it to. For me it isn't neccessaraly the steam aspect that I can about (heck don't care about that much at all) but just the mechanical aspect. Things typically go overboard in a good way thats fun.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 11:44:26 pm »

Nethernet has a steampunk theme. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4