Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undo mistaken embark area?  (Read 1189 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undo mistaken embark area?
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:52 pm »

So I embarked on what I thought was a really cool site - deep Z-level variations, natural cave, magma tube, lots of red sand... But then I realized I didn't make the embark site quite large enough to include the nearby ocean shore, so I have absolutely no water available.

What's the best way to fix an embark goof up?  I should have copied the DF folder before I embarked but I forgot to.

1.  There is the embark anywhere utility but I read that the embark anywhere utility sometimes causes glitches if you embark on something overlapping a previous site.  And anyway does it still work with the latest version of DF?

2.  Is there some file I can just delete in the save folder to make DF think I never embarked on it?

3.  I did a lot of tweaking to generate the world (all islands with volcanos and natural caves).  I had thousands of rejections, and finally just told it to "accept all rejections even I end up with a legends only world".  If I try to regenerate the world I don't think I could ever find that exact point at which I told it to go ahead and accept one.  If I knew what the seed was for my world, would using that seed get me the same world I've got now, or would it start at the beginning of that series of rejected worlds?  Would it reject my seed and make something else?

4.  If I do regenerate the world, where do I look for the seed number?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undo mistaken embark area?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »

abandon fort
go into legends mode
p to export maps
you'll have world-gen.....txt file in main directory
copypasta to the worldgen.txt file in data/init directeory
regen.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:31:25 pm »

Thanks.  Unfortunately it's as I feared:  it started doing all the rejections again from the beginning.  If I could get it to just take the first world from that seed it would probably be ok, but it only offers that option AFTER it's rejected a lot of sites.  Some of the reasons for the rejections in the log don't seem to have settings that I can turn off to stop the rejection in the init file (for instance, "such and such not evenly distributed".)

Edit:  Oh, but if I just wait for it to ask the "ignore all rejections" question and say yes, then I do get the right world back.  I wonder is that because it asked me the question at the same rejection point as last time, or if it would have worked regardless.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:40:00 pm by denito »
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »

abandon fort
go into legends mode
p to export maps
you'll have world-gen.....txt file in main directory
copypasta to the worldgen.txt file in data/init directeory
regen.

There's a much easier way to export worldgen info:
1. While the fort is running, press ESC
2. Select "Export Local Image"
3. Press "e"

Granted, this gets you a bunch of bitmaps as well (which you can reduce by unselecting all but one Z-level), but it does not require abandoning.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »

(If you haven't saved the game since the embark)
Go to Task magager
Go to Processes tab
Right-click on dwarfort.exe
Select End Process
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:37 am »

luckily my computer is crud and DF crashes when I try to play full screen.  so f11 is like a savescum button.