Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma-Safe questions  (Read 592 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma-Safe questions
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:43 am »

I haven't done too much with magma before, so I want to make sure I get this right.

If I have floor hatches above magma linked to a lever - do the mechanisms need to be magma-safe? I'm assuming not, but if not... I know that magma can splash if terrain falls into it from a height - but magma won't splash if, say, goblins fall into it, right? If so, what about from a height of only 1 or 2 z levels?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma-Safe questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:14:47 am »

The hatch / mechanism do not need to be magma safe unless magma will be in that square.  Magma "mist" doesn't count -- just 1/7 magma or more.  If magma never comes directly into that square, the mechanism and hatch do not need to be magma safe.

So if this is a hatch over a magma pit you drop goblins into, you're fine. 
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:55 am »

the hatch doesn't need to be magma safe if you aren't going to have it open while under magma.

if you are going to have it open under magma then you want both the hatch and mechanism to be magma safe.

basically any time magma will flow through a constructed gate of any type the above should hold true. Remember when in doubt, play it safe, or route the drainage to your noble's quarters.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »

the hatch doesn't need to be magma safe if you aren't going to have it open while under magma.

if you are going to have it open under magma then you want both the hatch and mechanism to be magma safe.

basically any time magma will flow through a constructed gate of any type the above should hold true. Remember when in doubt, play it safe, or route the drainage to your noble's quarters.

If it's a floor hatch, it doesn't matter if it's open or closed - if there's magma on top of it, both the hatch and mechanisms must be magma-safe or it will melt. The same is true with bridges.

Only doors and floodgates are magma-safe when closed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:41:19 pm »

okay my bad, I thought hatches worked just like doors.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:08 pm »

The difference between hatches and doors, in this case, is that hatches don't keep the magma from occupying their space, while doors do. As soon as the magma enters the same space as the hatch/door, it can start melting the mechanisms involved.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:25 am »

The difference between hatches and doors, in this case, is that hatches don't keep the magma from occupying their space, while doors do. As soon as the magma enters the same space as the hatch/door, it can start melting the mechanisms involved.

Exactly. Magma heats up the tiles next to it, but not to the same degree as things that are in the same tile. Therefore, furniture made of fire-safe materials that are not in the same tile as magma can survive contact. If magma enters the tile (as it would with a floor hatch that is submerged in magma, but not one which is above it), the furniture that contains non-magma-safe parts (i.e., either the furniture itself or a mechanism attached to it) goes down in flames, leaving only the magma-safe parts, but deconstructed.

Now I'm wondering if magma safe furniture with non-magma-safe decorations will burn.