Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf in fey mood asking for something strange.  (Read 2153 times)

DarthBlob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf in fey mood asking for something strange.
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:35 am »

So, I'm on my fourth or fifth fortress here, and everything's going great. What's this? Urist McMiller has claimed my Craftsdwarf's Workshop in a fey mood? Sweet! I hope I get something valuable. Until I read what he's asking for.

"Urist keeps muttering 'Cattendatan'..." The heck's Cattendatan? It's not the name of anything on the map, as far as I can tell. Not a unit, not an artifact, nothing. What is he asking for?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in fey mood asking for something strange.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:38:19 am »

Are you sure he's not already working on the artifact. Once the dwarf gathers all their materials they will start work and begin to speak the name of the artifact they are creating.

DarthBlob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:04 am »

Ah, I didn't know that. Well, I suppose he must be working on it, but I don't recall seeing him actually grab anything. He just jumped out of bed, limped downstairs on a yellow foot, and claimed a workshop. Guess I missed it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:05:42 am »

Cattendatan is the name of the artifact he's making.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

If he's muttering the name of his artifact, then he isn't in a fey mood - he's possessed.
If he still needed materials, he'd be muttering "Cattendatan needs <some item>...".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:23:44 am »

Also, possessed moods never give the dwarf experience (not sure about the attribute boosts though). So, if it's a dwarf that you really want to get legendary, then you're screwed

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:21 pm »

Also, possessed moods never give the dwarf experience (not sure about the attribute boosts though).

Attributes come from experience.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:57:50 pm »

Also, possessed moods never give the dwarf experience (not sure about the attribute boosts though).

Attributes come from experience.

Oh whoop, yea you're right.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:44:20 pm »

Also, a Fey Mood is a specific type of Strange Mood

Strange Mood encompasses all of the moods {Fey, Secretive, Possessed, Macabre, Fell}

Possessed is widely considered the worst due to it not giving experience.

I've only played a few forts but it seems that my first couple moods are always possessed.  Just something I noticed.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »

Possessed is widely considered the worst due to it not giving experience.

Funny, I'd consider Fell to be the worst due to it requiring the death of a random (and possibly quite useful) dwarf...
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »

Be careful of seeing patterns in your allocation of moods. In all probability they're completely random, but the brain is very good at seeing nonexistent patterns in noise.

As for mood quality, I'd say possessed is worse than fell, because fell moods are a) incredibly unlikely in most forts (since you need an unhappy moody dwarf), and b) completely awesome.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »

Be careful of seeing patterns in your allocation of moods. In all probability they're completely random, but the brain is very good at seeing nonexistent patterns in noise.

As for mood quality, I'd say possessed is worse than fell, because fell moods are a) incredibly unlikely in most forts (since you need an unhappy moody dwarf), and b) completely awesome.

so, does a feel dwarf get an insta kill on a dwarf, or does he have to go through normal combat?
i ask because i think it would be incredibly funny if a fell dwarf attacked a child and got his arms ripped off

"hey, everyone! its all fine, you can come out now, e's 'armless innee?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »

so, does a feel dwarf get an insta kill on a dwarf, or does he have to go through normal combat?
i ask because i think it would be incredibly funny if a fell dwarf attacked a child and got his arms ripped off

Pretty sure it's automatic, although I've only seen it once. i think of it as a stealth kill.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 06:14:22 pm »

Pretty sure it's automatic, although I've only seen it once. i think of it as a stealth kill.

Does the kill happen on the spot, or does the moody dwarf drag the still-living victim to the workshop like when slaughtering livestock?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »

It sounds like it's time to experiment!
We need a fortress full of unhappy butchers!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2