Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [FISHITEM] -- how to make non-vermin creatures "fishable"  (Read 537 times)

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[FISHITEM] -- how to make non-vermin creatures "fishable"
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:28:11 am »

Greetings!

I seem to have a preference for building ocean-side fortresses, usually relying heavily on the fish industry.
But because seeing octopus, bass, turtles and oysters in every meal I make was starting to get a bit boring, I wanted to mod in bigger fish to be catchable;
- toads (and giant toads, in my Dig Deeper mod)
- whales
- sharks
- carp
- merpersons
etc etc
I tried doing this by adding [FISHITEM] to their tags.

However, after six month of fishing with 2 fishermen, they still haven't caught any of these creatures.
Do the "fishables" -have- to have the [VERMIN_FISH] tag as well in order to be fishable?

Also, on a side note, would it be possible to make non-living items fishable, like boots (yay for cliché!) or shipwrecked wood (usable as wood)?

edit: it could be that the population of, for example, merpersons simply vanishes in comparison to fish like "shad", so I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if it works. I don't have a good feeling about it, though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:18:52 am by P-Luke »

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FISHITEM] -- how to make non-vermin creatures "fishable"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:23 am »

Update: well, it seems that they do indeed need the "VERMIN_FISH" tag in order to be fishable.
Too bad really, as this also removes them from the game as regular animals and sharks pose a remarkably bigger threat to fishermen then carps do :p

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:46 am »

Have specific kinds of whales and sharks that can be fished then. Just add their entries in. You could make it so nurse sharks and thresher sharks are fishable vermin but great whites remain non-vermin.

It might also be possible to have a vermin and a non-vermin version of the same animal.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:28 pm »

Yeah. Imagine your fisherdwarves catching little carps while bigger ones (old enough) grow huge and catch your fisherdwarves back.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository