Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with troublesome miner (SOLVED)  (Read 420 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Problem with troublesome miner (SOLVED)
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:32:05 am »

Hey all! My friend appears to be having some rather... interesting trouble.

Recently, he got a pretty kickass artifact. A pick made entirely of bone. Thrilled with his artifact, he made his miner drop his current pick (by removing mining, forbidding the dropped pick and adding mining again) and go grab the other one. Instead, the dwarf wandered off for a break. After the usual assign/unassign from the military, the dwarf stood there, dumbfounded.

After accidentally losing sight of the forbidden pick and then re-finding it again, he did a number of tricks to get him to pick up the bone-pick. He turned on/off mining, he assigned/unassigned him to the military, waited... nothing. He just wouldn't pick it up.

Frustrated, he went to go do something else. when he comes back, his miner is farming. He doesn't have farming enabled.

In short, does anyone know:
1) What the fuck just happened
2) how to make him pick up the bloody bone pick.

Here is a picture of the artifact. Nothing OVERLY flashy, just kinda cool.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:44:28 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with troublesome miner
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:39 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Artifact#Usage

'Object types which require a dwarf to wear or use the item will generally not be used by your dwarves, with the exception of artifact weapons and armor.

Artifact weapons or armor will only be worn by heroes and champions'
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:49:44 am by Demonic Spoon »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with troublesome miner
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:05 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Artifact#Usage

'Object types which require a dwarf to wear or use the item will generally not be used by your dwarves, with the exception of artifact weapons and armor.

Artifact weapon or armor will only be worn by heroes and champions'

Thanks! I don't normally get many artifacts, so I don't know these things. And he's a new player so he wouldn't know either.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Problem with troublesome miner (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:16 am »

Put simply, an artifact pick is pretty much useless because only a Hero or Champion will wield it, and once a dwarf becomes a Hero or Champion he is stuck in the military forever and cannot return to civilian status in order to use it for mining. This is further complicated by the fact that a drafted Miner doesn't even receive any "military" experience (since combat uses the Mining skill) and thus will always be a Recruit unless switched to another weapon (which will cause the pick to be dropped), and once the dwarf becomes capable of using an artifact, its Labor menu is locked out and thus prevents switching it back to using a pick.

On the bright side, you can still put it in a weapon trap. If you've had a moody Mechanic, use an artifact mechanism in it, though a normal masterwork one should work just as well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.