Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make shields out of bone/shell/wood/stone?  (Read 927 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
How to make shields out of bone/shell/wood/stone?
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:21:54 am »

Hey there! I consider myself a decent modder.

That is, modder of creatures. In actual fact, I can't mod for crap when it comes to items. So, could someone tell me how to make shields out of bone/shell/wood/stone? I'm playing kobold camp, I'd like my kobolds to have some wooden shields carved out. =w=

Also, I checked the wiki for the armour tags. [SCALED] and [BARRED] apparently make armour available to make out of shell and bone, but it didn't show up in any workshops.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:26:21 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: How to make shields out of bone/shell/wood/stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:44:40 am »

Pretty please help a girl out?

Also, I double checked, my raws do indeed have the proper tags in the proper places. Perhaps they don't affect shields/can't be made yourself?

EDIT: Even tried the [WOOD] tag that comes with trap components. Not working there either.

Perhaps this is hardcoded? I hope not, I really want to see some carved wooden shields...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:48:43 am by Doomshifter »
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:05:16 am »

Uh, you can make wooden shields in vanilla DF.  If you are using it for kobolds just make sure they have the shield item in their Entity list if it isn't there.  Copy it from dwarves to kobolds.  Need to regen the world for that.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:07:41 am »

Uh, you can make wooden shields in vanilla DF.  If you are using it for kobolds just make sure they have the shield item in their Entity list if it isn't there.  Copy it from dwarves to kobolds.  Need to regen the world for that.

I don't think you need to regen the world for an edit to a thing, only a completely new one. I'll test and find out anyway. Thank you!

EDIT: Just checked the list'o'things. I probably will have to regen world.

(I COMPLETELY OVERLOOKED THIS @w@")
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:15:33 am by Doomshifter »

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:34 am »

If at first it doesn't seem to be working, regen the world.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:38 am »

If at first it doesn't seem to be working, regen the world.

Yeah, I checked, it'll need a regen. Unfortunately, I'm currently in love with my camp (going well, tons of fish NO WILD ANIMALS ON MAP brook straight through the town) so I'll leave it till after I get swarmed by elves.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:42 am »

You can always get the seed numbers and regen the exact same thing (or close).

Minor changes to raw shouldn't affect world generation. History might be changed though. But land formations should stay the same.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »

You can always get the seed numbers and regen the exact same thing (or close).

Minor changes to raw shouldn't affect world generation. History might be changed though. But land formations should stay the same.
Nah, it's just that I've got the place running smoothly (Turtle comes in one end, +turtle stew [8]+, turtle bone arrow [5] and turtle shell helm comes out the other.) and everyone is happy with their tiny ass shacks.

I'll wait till it either dies from lack of turtle or gets killed by elves.

They'll probably happen at the same time, knowing my luck XD

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 12:53:03 pm »

Even though this is solved, just a quick aside.

Your kobolds will be able to make use of enemy shields/bucklers if/when they siege/ambush.

If you REALLY want bone/turtle shields, you could try making a smelter reaction. I'm very iffy on the syntax involved, but you can edit existing reactions to a new one without having to regen. (IE: Edit out the 'Rose Gold' entry but replace it with the custom one)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »

Even though this is solved, just a quick aside.

Your kobolds will be able to make use of enemy shields/bucklers if/when they siege/ambush.

If you REALLY want bone/turtle shields, you could try making a smelter reaction. I'm very iffy on the syntax involved, but you can edit existing reactions to a new one without having to regen. (IE: Edit out the 'Rose Gold' entry but replace it with the custom one)

My kobolds can't have the furnace operator job. I mean, I guess I could give it and just PRETEND it's some sort of shield making station, but yeah.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:15:53 pm »

You can add professions in entities without regens. And considering the smelter is the poor man's version of next version's custom workshops, what's the biggy?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »

You can add professions in entities without regens. And considering the smelter is the poor man's version of next version's custom workshops, what's the biggy?

Yeah yeah, I'll do it, geez ^^;