Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parties.  (Read 636 times)

FheteranPhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Parties.
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:59 am »

I know this may have been asked many times before, but how do I stop my Dwarfs from having so many parties? I've been trying to get some work done on my fortress and all they are doing is constantly having parties. :-\

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: Parties.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:10:34 am »

For each Zoo, Statue Garden, and Dining Hall you have, your dwarves will have a chance to have a party. They can have only one party for each one of these rooms. So if you just have a Communal Dining Room you're already at the lowest chance of partage.

If you need someone who is partying to get to work right away, and don't mind being called a square you can [f]ree the room, then turn it right back into whatever room it was before.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:01 am »

Make a meeting hall using the Zone menu ( the menu) instead of designating it out of a dining room (but keep it a dining room). And free all your zoos and statue gardens.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:28 am »

zactly.  If you use a building to designate a meeting area (from a dining hall, a well, a statue, whatever), it's party time - but if it's just a "Meeting Zone" ( < i >), then no worries.

Make it small if you want idlers to get experience from talking together, but know that it will also make closer friends which can lead to tantrum spirals down the road.  Depends on your playstyle and mortality rate.

FheteranPhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:05:46 am »

Cheers. ;D

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:03:49 pm »

Can dwarves still get happy thoughts from a great or legendary dining room if it's not designated as a room? 

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:28 pm »

Probably not (besides "admired a fine..." thoughts), or at least the entire value of the "room" will not be taken into account.  However, it can be designated a dining room without also being a meeting area and open to parties.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »

Won't that make the first dwarf to eat at the table claim it the way they claim designated but unassaigned bedrooms?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:53 pm »

Dwarves don't claim dining rooms, only bedrooms.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:10 pm »

This may be unsubstantiated, but I think any dwarf that is idle has a higher chance of starting a party. So if you have some guys who mostly haul and that's it, and there's a lull in the hauling jobs, someone's about to start doing kegstands out of boredom.

This is one of the reasons I tend to keep my population low, easier to micromanage everyone into busyness.