Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How often do you curse not saving the game every 5min?  (Read 2458 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: How often do you curse not saving the game every 5min?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 01:53:17 pm »

I'm another who has never used saves. I have given up completely in disgust a few times..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »

I only save when I have finished something big or something that I don't want to repeat and back it up just in case the game crashes but no savescumming.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:21:18 pm »

Just now I raegquitted after a starting miner managed to channel himself onto a single brook square, causing a collapse, and leaving him in the water to drown. I don't let AI bugs kill my dwarves when it can not be helped.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 04:29:22 pm »

I have a policy of no savescumming, but I've not played DF for about 2 weeks due to a mega rage-quit involving approximately 9 hours of solid work being lost to computer crash.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 05:01:57 pm »

I only savescum very rarely. Generally, when I lose someone valuable to something petty.

The major exception was the human siege full of horse archers. THAT I savescummed on because my first trial idea got my military massacred, and the second caused heavy casualties. I got around that by declaring them test runs and using intelligent positioning for the last run.

Another moment was just today; The obsidian farm started leaking through a corner due to innacurate channeling. I was quickly able to wall up the gap rather than savescumming, however, thanks to my miners working like mad to deal with the water pressure.
I am so glad that this second run of the obsidian farm worked smoothly. The first use killed two dwarves and a bunch of masterwork crafts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Zengrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 05:41:06 pm »

I'm another who has never used saves. I have given up completely in disgust a few times..

I've never gone back to a previous save to avoid an incident, if i loose 50 dwarfs for a stupid mistake, i loose them, oh well.. .. I don't think this game would be anywhere near as fun and challenging for me if i could just load up any previous save game after i make a mistake... one of the best aspects for DF for me :)

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 06:25:50 pm »

I'm another person that avoids savescumming, though I'm open to the concept if it's a seriously big deal. However, if, oh, the elves are all mysteriously vanished, the human liason died when I still had seven dwarves, and the entire human race sieged me nonstop, preventing any dwarven trade... well, what kind of dwarf says "no thank you"? 8)

This is possibly the most fun any of my forts have been. ;)
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »

I've never reloaded due to disaster.  Part of the reason is because I consider it part of the challenge, and another part is because I'm still on my first fortress which, surprisingly, has encountered no notable disasters whatsoever in the entirety of its existence.  It's at the point where I want a disaster to happen so I can start over, but I won't do it on purpose, and I'll still stop it from happening if I can.

The goblins can't make it past my fortifications, I've been trying rather unsuccessfully to irritate the elves into warring with me, at one point my entire population started starving but I had more than enough animals on reserve to butcher in a hurry, and I had an accident with an artificial waterfall failure that drowned one dwarf... but I had accidentally installed a failsafe via a linked gear on the waterwheel, so I was able to shut it down before it flooded much of the map.  Oh, and there was that one season where a hydra appeared, and the first thing it did was jump into an open channel it couldn't come out of.  The only threat it posed was that it was canceling jobs left and right.

I think part of it is because I've embarked on a map with no underground river, no magma vent, no chasm, not even flux stone... it's been an extremely tame game.  Pretty soon I'm going to start mining for HFS just for the sake of getting some awesome battles going.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »

In the first autumn of my current fort, a migrant weaponsmith got into a fey mood and made an artifact uranium warhammer.

In the first winter, the new legendary weaponsmith was eaten by a mod dragon.

Did I savescum to save the weaponsmith? No. Why? Because the goddamn dragon came right before the winter autosave and I had to savescum a dozen times to get a lucky pick through the forehead and not get my entire fort killed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:20 pm »

I have a policy of no savescumming, its for the weak, and dwarves should never be weak.
Art is a Blast

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 01:25:50 am »

I savescum from time to time, usually when one of my dwarves does something monumentally stupid that no rational sentient being would ever do in reality (such as wandering outside in the middle of a siege to pick up socks, taking your whole military with you to the dining room for lunch right when the goblins are coming through the main gate, legendary masons walling themselves up and patiently waiting to starve to death for lack of an explicit order to unwall themselves, or everyone inexplicably ignoring a wounded champion lying in the busy entrance hall for months on end until he dies of thirst). I'd say I hit a situation where I grit my teeth over not having a suitable recent save to fall back on maybe once every one or two weeks.

I figure that since these sorts of thing are failings imposed by the artificial limitations of AI software it's entirely fair to compensate for them using software tricks of my own. But if someone decides to savescum for other reasons I don't see anything inherently wrong with that either. Different people have fun in different ways, it's all just as valid. A couple of months ago I had a bunch of fun by repeatedly testing out my fort's self destruct mechanism and seeing which dwarves died in the ensuing catastrophe more often, for example.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 03:19:07 am »

For me, it depends on the reason why I'm playing the fort. If it's some sort of challenge, no savescumming. If there's some other objective, like some really big megaproject, I'll savescum depending on the size of the disaster, how long I've been playing that particular fort, and the amount of crap I'd have to sift through if I reclaimed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 04:19:19 am »

if I'm Playing The Game, and not just testing how things work (new mod, or just testing the weird DF physics), then I don't savescum.

witness Windybreeches the glacier fort - 1 dwarf survived the tantrum spiral/icy-aquifer-doom. I can work with that.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »

I never savescum, takes out the fun of the game. I just had a kolbold ambush that left 8 wardogs and one of my three miners dead. But because that attack my fort is better defended now.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 03:57:39 pm »

I wouldn't save scum if I wasn't working on a crazy megaproject.  I hardly ever have to anyways.

I always screw something up with new machines/contraptions though which usually results in an irreparable situation.  I savescum for those.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 [2] 3