Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How often do you curse not saving the game every 5min?  (Read 2455 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
How often do you curse not saving the game every 5min?
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »

I just spent the last 10min q-ing up things for my dwarfs to do, laying out vast amounts of walls to builds, ore seems to mine, things to build, floors to lay and bits to mine... Then I get the following message "Legendary Armorer '1st' Mclusagard has fallen into a chasm!"

<smacks head to keybored>

Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you curse not saving the game every 5min?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:13:53 am »

About once a fortnight, on average. See, I'd recently stuck bridges over the magma forge bay, and decided to test the lever.
The legendary weaponsmith wandered up, pulled the lever, wandered off over a bridge, and it triggered.
Sizzle.
Thankfully, I'd just loaded up, and was able to savescum quickly and set traffic designations.

Then a champion dodged into the moat today.
Sizzle.
No nearby save, and it was my own dumb fault anyway, so no reload there. He gets mourned, though, and I may even permit a party in his honour.
And someday I will haul his gear out that moat. And that of the goblins he took in with him.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:17:24 am »

Never. I don't savescum, so unless my computer crashes I just take the blows as they come.

Once I launched by legendary gem setter into my trade depot wall via bridgeapult. Took a while to train another... meh.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:19:15 am »

I savescummed for a long time whenever one of my original 7 got killed too early, or if a starting miner died, but letting the game go on makes a bigger challenge, and thus more Fun™
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:55:00 am »

Thankfully i've never lost more that an hour or two of work from an unlucky crash, but that's all it took for me to fall back into my old "Heavily Modded Morrowind 10 minute save breaks."

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:01 am »

I've lost quite a few seasons from piercing aquifers.

One of the worst was losing a few hour's worth of labor organization, naming, and housing based on the dwarves' personalities and families.

I raged.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:32 am »

The other night, when I tunneled out from behind my butcher's shop to setup a couple of grates so that miasma wouldn't completely fill up my corpse locker, and lo and behold, the moment I breached the outer wall 'A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived' wtf, like 10 squares from the hole in the back of my fort.

Lots of people died, tantrum spiral, bad things.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:27 am »

Rarely. Generally if I'm doing something likely to cause some stupid accident I *am* saving every 5 minutes and if something happens in the course of normal operations I'll just go with it.

Now, my last fort featured a wonderful little bug where stuff kept spawning inside the edges of the map. There I regretted it at least one a session when an orc siege would spawn inside my defenses or a dragon would come right in the middle of my logging operation or whatnot.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:59:42 am »

With seasonal autosave and backup I don't manually save it unless I'm about to do something with consequences I don't fully understand.  Pulling any newly hooked up lever falls into this category.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:21 am »

I rage when an ambush decides to appear right in front of a caravan, destroying it or injuring the merchants/team animals before anyone can possibly react. Sometimes I try to continue, but when it is the dwarven caravan bringing tons of things so I can pawn off my literally thousands of non-usable clothing from all the sieges and ambushers, I tend to just reset to my last save, regardless of how long ago it was. I only have a dwarven liaison in this game, so I'm most concerned about the things I am actually requesting than the human and elven caravans, who bring whatever they want.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:06:03 am »

Oh, for ambushed caravans, I normally don't bother doing anything for. I mean, if it's a useful one, I'll generally send a squad over to help out, but otherwise I just let them duke it out and clear up after.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:26:30 pm »

About every 10 minutes or so. Just lost my gemcutter to a goblin ambush, almost made it but one of my high master marksdwarves apparently decided that a stack of 5 turtle bone bolts was better than a stack of 40 masterwork orc bone bolts (playing Dig Deeper), so he had to close an additional gap after missing all five times.

I'd bathe him in magma if he didn't then fearlessly charge the sword gobs and batter four of them to death with a base quality salmon bone crossbow with dabbling hammerdwarf skill. He probably would have gotten all 8 if the rest of his squad hadn't shown up (half of them completely without bolts... how the hell did they manage that? I have 3 legendary bone carvers working nonstop to deal with the corpse backload) and pummeled the rest of the squad.

Then to add insult to injury, another squad of bowgobs ambushed not two minutes later. Luckily my marksdwarves were on their way back and my hammerdwarves were out to get a drink (which is also weird, seeing as how I have half a dozen barrels of booze), so one marksdwarf laid down suppressive fire (crippled the gobs that came through the door) while the hammerdwarves battered their way through the remainder of them and I only lost a single pet Cria. Seriously, I'm more afraid of goblins than orcs. How did that happen?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:59:26 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »

No matter what happens, I don't revert to another save. The only exception is a crash, if a bug kills a legendary such and such, I deal with it. For example a goblin crossbowman killed my main carpenter and my legendary +5 mason when I had about 16 dwarves, 5 mins later a 20 immigration wave came and launched my fort into a crisis, just now a mega golin siege (roughly 5 goblin "groups") came at the same time as a bronze colossus. I lost about 3/4 of my military and fortress guard.

Savescumming is just cheap. Why not just play with godmode enabled? Cheater.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:33 pm »

I've never savescummed and the only time I save is when quitting, plus the seasonal autosaves. I guess if my computer ever crashes I'll be hurting, but I've only ever had DF crash once.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »

The other night, when I tunneled out from behind my butcher's shop to setup a couple of grates so that miasma wouldn't completely fill up my corpse locker, and lo and behold, the moment I breached the outer wall 'A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived' wtf, like 10 squares from the hole in the back of my fort.

Lots of people died, tantrum spiral, bad things.
Similar incident happened to me in a fort last night- luckily I survived.
Except I didn't realize I had the 'hole' until some orcs made their way through it! (dig deeper)

It was a 1-wide wall they could walk on top of from a cliff. I was in the process of removing the ramps that provided access to the the hill that touched the wall but that was more so they could not shoot down from that hill- I didn't realize they'd walk on the wall. The wall lead to the roof of my main fortifications and then a staircase down into them. From there a bridge across to the mountain my fort was built into or a set of stairs down into a lower level of the fortifications many connections to some access tunnels.

It was a 4 or 5 squad siege and thank god I had my archers in the fortifications- they had killed all but two of the orcs before that squad got on the wall. My other troops took care of the last two before they caused too much trouble but I was all aware of the 3 more orc squads on their way to my design flaw.

I sat paused for literally 5 minutes trying to plan what to do... At first I designated a mason to build a single wall section to block access- but I (thank goodness) realized it would take way too long and he would get scared off by the nearby orcs anyways. So I rushed my miners to the fortifications with some random dig orders in the area while I positioned my troops in the fortifications as a last defense.  The miners got there quick enough that I was able to dig a two tile channel blocking the bridge that made connection to 'my hill' (It was not set up to any levers- never thought I'd need to raise it- it was mostly just a cheap/fast way to construct a floor over a couple tile gap).
At the same time I ordered my army out of the fortifications and tried to keep everyone else out- but for some reason the stupid miner that dug the channel decided to stay, and a peasant came into the area to drop off some ammo in a stockpile... sucked to be them... I had another miner dig out (thank god it was a mined staircase and not built) the stair that lead down another level in the fortifications just as the orcs started swarming down from the roof into the level above. The miner and peasant were quickly swarmed by the orcs and killed- one sent flying 15 or so tiles to land next to my army on 'my' hill that were standing watching (which conveniently let me bury him- the other guys body is still in the fortifications).

So I was able to successfully recover from my design flaw (which would have ceased to have been a problem had the orcs waited another half minute or so before coming) at the mere expense of a miner and a peasant... Problem is that it left me with no defensive positioning besides my flood chamber... Those fortifications were essentially my last line of defense (I only realize that after the fact, of course) because once past them there are like six different ways into my fort- and once in my fort its like being in the EU, you can get anywhere from anywhere.

Oh well.. tonight I'll return to the game to see if I can drive the siege back.

And had they made it past the fortifications and into the fort and killed everyone? no save scum for me... that's part of the fun:-)
Pages: [1] 2 3