Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard  (Read 55926 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:17 am »

Congratulations on getting the magma flooder to work.
There's one thing I don't get, however. The pump stack raising magma from the bottom level is powered by a set of water wheels. This set of water wheels sits in a section of the river, but that section is currently frozen. The warmmaker channel, which keeps the river unfrozen, is currently empty, and it seems like it's going to stay that way, because the six parallel pump stacks that constitute the magma flooder all suck their magma from that very channel. Are there any mechanisms in place to fix this, or is it a design issue?
Keeping things as they are, the magma flooder is capable of tapping only two levels of the magma pipe. With the pump stack operational, it would be capable of tapping the entire magma pipe, but at a slower rate.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2009, 03:17:24 pm »

Damn it! I missed my turn again. Sorry guys, life seems to love throwing unavoidable, unexpected distractions my way.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:03 am »

1. we put magma proof stuff as the front doors, right? it should hold SoFs back. if only doors have material strength...

2. i tried on my own map, the warmmaker does -not- unfreeze the river when it's winter. even on 7/7. and only separated by a thin sheet of floor.

3. yes, i realized i made two faults on this one. not sealing the magma pipe, and not putting another more reliable power source for the flooder. there's a lot of space for an underground power factory, utilizing buckets and cleverly aligned channels and whatnots-- but it could be dangerous if it used up the whole cistern's worth of water supply for the winter, because we're out of barrels... yeah. we only need approximately 600-800 power for this. probably 20 windmills?

4. the only place i can safely tap from the lowest level was... on the very very edge of the map. which made it very difficult to expand. or i might be wrong...

now we should decide what the next fun stuff we're gonna do should be!

also, i volunteer to be the one who'll play after barbarossa the seal god. i claim the 24th slot.

EDIT1: hmm, oh, wait, you can turn the magma flooder off by pulling the toprightmost lever on the bottomleftmost chamber. it'll still refill the warmmaker, if you pull only that lever and not the one below it.
EDIT2: oh right, the story i promised yesterday! okay. here it is.

Rosey never put any thoughts to time. She had a plenty of it, life was good, here in this place the gods and goddesses has forsaken. As long as she stays out of the sun, at least.
She spent her time carving perfect blocks, and scrubbing the stone walls till they're just as smooth as the blocks are. She often spends her time with her best friend, too...

Then it happenned. It was Nil. He got into her room without knocking at the door.

"You're the new supervisor of this place, now. The king commanded it so. Here's some plans and notes."

He rushedly handed over a bunch of scrolls to Rosey. She looked down at them, confused.

"What--"

"Good luck. I'll just live peacefully now. Thank you."

He left the room. Slamming the door, too.

Rosey opened a scroll. "Sparkgear". Oh, that's what this place is called. She just realized that now. After reading it for a moment, she sighed as she mumbled a "How nice of him and the king to...", grunted and started walking towards the main staircases, committing herself to take an overall look to the whole fortress.

She returned to her room, her face pale, her breath held in tightly due to the suspense.

"Dear god, it... it... it made me forgot your name."

MANY LIMBED MONSTROSITIES OF FLAMES. OH DEAR GOD WHOSE NAME I FORGOT.

A moment of silence for the mind has passed... Okay, here's the what we have now...

A large area of unfinished bridges, just above the walls. She had nothing to do with that, because she can't find anything about it inside the scrolls that Nil gave to her.

A... set of broken contraption. Tapping to the magma filled tunnel. Aimed at the evil, evil outside world. Maybe I can fix it and make it better...

A river with it's potential not fully exploited.

A... hey, I know that one, it makes unlimited amounts of usable obsidian, to conserve space and maximize aesthetic efforts. But it has a major flaw in it's design.

After all that, she took a nap. It was all she can take for a single day.

The next day, she got to designing, and more designing, and overseering, and briefing the working dwarves on what to do... Talking to them about her ideas, making it clear why it would be useful to them. A busy day, but she had fun with it. Designing contraptions is something she's interested in.

Leading the workers on her plans, she put some of her plans in place. When she gets tired, she takes a lunch break and goes to smooth the walls of the newly dig room. She needed the more of the white mineral stone to completely seal the rivers...

Showing the finished blueprints of the upcoming magma tap to the miners, they immediately set off to work on it... While they were gone she snagged a pick and a torch, and sets off to ruin the grass, forming a large grassless circle around the vicinity of the fort... and sets the outer parts on fire.

This will give us enough time. The orcs, elves, kobolds and whatnots won't be able to reach us through the forest fires, and the fire monsters won't be back here in some time.

She was going in circles, thoroughly inspecting the obsidian bakery oven, as she was slowly finishing the new design for it. She had this unnerving feeling as she gazed upon the floodgates who held the magma back... but she decided to just go for it. Finishing the design, she sets off, giving it to the miners...

There was scorching heat, an eerie red glow, and screams. She frantically stumbled down only to find magma, slowly spreading around the burial complex next to the obsidian oven. She then directed the miners to stop the magma flow from above, with water.

No more dwarves will die, for now, but she has to take responsibility of what mistakes she's made. Unknowing to her, one of the floodgates was leaking. She made sure what remains of those who died there was given proper respects. Then, she set off to repair the once intricate carvings, ruined by the magma.

It's working! The world will soon fill with magma, and we will forever be safe against the orcs... but... the fire spirits...

Bah, it's not her worry, now. She'll just spend her time making pictures, down below. It's up to the next unlucky fellow the king appointed. A royal messenger pidgeon came with an official scroll this morning.

Goodbye, suffering! Hopefully forever!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:28:42 am by rosedrake »

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2009, 04:55:19 am »

I'm taking over the modding business 'round here. Clearly you can't be trusted not to cock it up. Gar.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

I'll take the blame for making sure that he made it stupid hard.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2009, 08:13:23 am »

I'm taking over the modding business 'round here. Clearly you can't be trusted not to cock it up. Gar.

Yeah, it would seem I'm not cut out to be a authority figure and stuff. :/ Also, you know it's your turn right nahkh?

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2009, 08:24:20 am »

Yeah I'm aware.

I think I'll spend most of my time turning the modded DF folder to something sensible.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:41 am »

I dislike double posting, but I feel one this is warranted.

I haven't been following this fort too close, to tell you the truth.
As someone taking his first look at it, allow me to say

WHAT THE FUCK
IS GOING ON
WITH THIS FORTRESS?

CHAYSUS KROIST

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:16 am »

yeah, nahkh, that too was my response upon seeing it the first time.

it's okay. after one hour or two, you get used to it.

and, well, it's slowly flooding with magma. don't worry. we're sealed tight. remember, if you ever want to stop the magma flooding, pull the toprightmost lever in the bottomleftmost chamber.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2009, 09:50:57 am »

Nah, someone had turned it off already.
Some floodgates closed somewhere blocking the magma, the pumps are still running.

We lost some guys mysteriously to burning and bleeding, but it's quiet now. A couple of tantrums and someone called Kibble made an artifact millstone.

Everything seems to be running by itself, so I made an impromptu mason squad and started roofing the courtyard over.

As for the mods, I've altered the SoF's a bit, changed their name, removed flying, and made them a bit more vulnerable to stuff. I also altered the orcs a bit. They're still fast, but not 0 fast. I also removed their NO_PAIN and NO_STUN tags.

Any other suggestions before I make those mods official?

EDIT2:

And we seem to be experiencing a magma spill in the eastern pump system. I have no idea how or why.
EDIT:
AAGH who designed this?
Why does the magma flooder drain from the magma warmer? Now the magma warmer must be on whenever you're trying to use the flooder and it drains the magma reserve O_o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:18:48 am by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:43 am »

Well the players report that the magma warmer does not work in any case so that's okay, I suspect it is because of the river tiles, perhaps if you remove them and replace them with something else?

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2009, 10:23:55 am »

Huh. Where's the activation switch for the eastern pumps?
I found that if it's turned off it spills magma to the lowest living floor.
Like, ad infinitum.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:35:05 am by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:28 am »

No idea man, I haven't played in this trainwreck since the first.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:18 am »

Ok, so the pump system is apparently frozen somewhere else, so no luck there.  I figured the magma leaks in so slowly that I can just ignore it for now. Pic related.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:17 am »

Wah? You let my fire golem escape? A legendary miner and mechanic gave up thier lives to capture that golem!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24