Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard  (Read 55920 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2009, 04:14:51 pm »

Mmmm, so we not gonna go on with killer SOF? And the 0 speed orcs are strange, I don't remember doing that.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2009, 04:58:10 pm »

Yeah, everyone seems to be changing the raws >.>
Alright, proposals time for the Sparkgear mod, going on from the RAWs posted in the original post
SoF:
Remove flier
Set back the progress (So they wont siege in first year)

Orcs:
Set speed to 400, fast but you can still activate traps.

General:
Make adamantine a layer
Anyone else?
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »

Lots of new and interesting monsters I guess.

But yeah, the SOFs are a bit too much.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:50 pm »

There was something wonderful about the surprise monsters, which I hope we'd be able to isolate and replicate for future generations. When the SoF ambush revealed itself, and blasts of fire consumed any dwarf standing outside, it was extremely awesome, and possibly the most memorable thing about my entire turn. Yet, it was also terminal, so it wasn't canon or very useful. How can we keep something not unlike the surprise of swarming SoFs without making the game unplayable?
One thing I think we should try is a no shut-in rule. There must always be a path from the edge of the map to the heart of the fortress. This ensures that players have to defend themselves competently, instead of just shutting the doors and riding through impending starvation and madness. Combined with challenging enemies, this rule could increase fun for both the players and the readers.
Another thing is more modding, with an emphasis on diverse, surprising and challenging enemies. This could be accomplished by starting the game with many enemy races and agreeing not to peek, or by allowing players to mod the RAWs and then submit them along with the saves. I'm not experienced enough with modding to know how far you can mod a race after worldgen, but it's at least far enough to allow for different stats and abilities, if not a new name and symbol.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:52 pm »

... so... i can make the SoFs easier?

... well, it's too dangerous to go outside at all... here's a schedule/pattern i see: spring: orcs/elves, summer: SoFs, autumn: kobolds/SoFs, winter: orcs...

to hell with lowering the drawbridges.

also, due to my timezone (GMT+7, which sucks), i'm just gonna start the fort now. i'm sorry. i went out the house all day long yesterday, and then went to sleep.

EDIT: friggin hell, i missed my turn already by three hours. ;__; do i still have a chance or not?

EDIT2: ..... wtf, you guys modded alunite to be magma safe !??
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:22:22 pm by rosedrake »

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »

Alunite being magma-safe is part of Dig Deeper, as I recall. Somewhat based on realism? I don't know.

Man, sometime I might do a SparkGear-style fort as cats. Gotta fine-tune the mod first though. :tongue:
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2009, 01:25:00 am »

heh, well, damn...

anyways, my fps got killed by three squads of fire spirits, because one of them fell into the river and evaporated it... even after removing building destroyer, flying, nobleed... the lack of bolts gave me the capability of doing nothing.

the obsidian farm has a fatal flaw on it (i learnt it the hard way on my own obsidian farm a few forts back), it lacks a z level to remove the floors above.

the river is decreasing the capabilities of the magma flooder... i've no idea what the mass of bridges a few z levels upwards do... a child toppled a granite lever.

my turn's passed already, too. i guess i have to just let the next one after me use nil's save.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2009, 03:31:11 am »

Um, Solarn has yet to show up so you can play a bit more, I'll start modding the SOF and making a new mod for the next SG.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2009, 06:00:30 am »

We're barely half-way this one. I'll make a new mod tomorrow since I don't have school that day.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2009, 06:41:28 am »

... in the effort of making the magma flooder a success (and keeping the rivers flowing), i...

i turned invaders off.

i guess that makes me a cheater, huh... the next player can go on with nil's save. or maybe, if i'm allowed to finish this...

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2009, 07:16:35 am »

Make sure you seal up the catapult fortifications before you turn on the flooder.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2009, 07:24:30 am »

Path from border to heart of fortress?
Hell, even the normal orcs of DD would completely shitwreck everything...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2009, 08:53:44 am »

Shitwreck? You overestimate the orcs. A squad of barely trained marksdwarves using bone equipment can severely damage a squad of DD orcs, so a combined force of well trained marksdwarves and well trained melee dwarves should be enough to handle an orc invasion, and that's without getting into mazes, magma traps, redundant sealable corridors and siege weapons.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2009, 09:45:45 am »

heh, whee, i flooded the world with magma, and fixed the obsidian farm.

... well, i had an accident involving the obsidian farm, you see... i thought the floodgates were just fine... but... it turns out that one of them was actually displaced, see... i let loose of some magma and killed some dwarves, but it was quickly fixed... and now i set rosey to re-engrave the floors on where it happenned...

and... flooding the world with magma part... might have to wait for a bit. it's progressing, but rather slowly... anyway, our fort's good enough to live on without trade... the farms are really productive, we have a cistern... and 60ish population... eheheh.

i had 120 FPS with temperatures off... good luck. please remove flier tag from SoFs. and building destroyer.

SAVE

i'll make a story tomorrow... i have to go sleep right now.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2009, 10:23:19 am »

all i did was remove [buildingdestroyer:2] and [flying] and [nobleed] on the SoFs. my copy of sparkgear prospered.

I say the [nobleed] and [flying] tags should be removed, but I think that SoF need to be able to bust down doors.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24