Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Human caravan causing crash  (Read 1158 times)

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Human caravan causing crash
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:32:19 pm »

Lately I have been having problems with my fortress repeatedly crashing under Windows 7. After taking a look at the game log, it seems to be crashing every time the human caravan arrives (this would be the first contact with humans for the fortress).

Example:

*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
** Loading Fortress **
You have struck Tetrahedrite!
A human caravan from Alpethanthath has arrived.
*crash*

Here is my DF directory with save; the only mod I can remember adding is the orc mod (although they have not even been encountered yet).  The caravan comes about 30 seconds or so after the save.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/261199/Dwarf%20Fortress.zip

The only other wonky thing is that I have been playing the same fortress on two different computers using Dropbox. I had a crash with my previous fortress stored in Dropbox as well, although I hadn't saved in so long that I essentially gave up and never tried to figure out the cause.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Human caravan causing crash
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:15:03 am »

I reproduced the crash on my system.  For anyone who's wondering, this crash is NOT the "nemesis unit load" error.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:47 am »

I reproduced the crash on my system.  For anyone who's wondering, this crash is NOT the "nemesis unit load" error.

Wow...

So, it's essentially a new, mysterious bug?
Perhaps... the entity files (for the civ) got smacked? And DF can't read what resources do the civ get access to?

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:47:42 pm »

Well, at least it wasn't just me.

Does anyone have an idea as to whether it's potentially fixable or not? I was just getting to the fun part. :(

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:21 pm »

I found one possibly important discrepancy -- your raws are not in sync with your saved game.  Your save loads fine if I copy over your entire folder and run from there, but if I just copy your save and raws, it fails to load with a "Missing creature definition: DIRE_WOLF" error.  When I copied over your /data/objects folder as well, the error went away.  So yeah, some of your raws are missing.  I'm guessing an entire raw file got deleted, since /data/objects doesn't get refreshed when that happens.  In any case, this is almost certainly messing up your creature index, possibly causing the game to try to spawn a dire wolf caravan or something equally absurd and crash-inducing.

Short version: try restoring whatever you deleted from your raws.

edit: um, this is weird.  I let the game keep running after copied /objects/raws, /data/save, and /data/objects, and it didn't crash when the caravan arrived.  So... you can try that too.  Get a fresh copy of DF and copy those folders over (delete all the vanilla raws first).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:27:13 pm by Footkerchief »

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »

It worked! I screwed up your instructions quite nicely but I found an old copy of DF I had been running with the orc mod, and just ported the save over. It worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:50:44 pm »

No problem, glad it worked for you too.