Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't encrust glass furniture with glass?  (Read 2269 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Can't encrust glass furniture with glass?
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »

I have a legendary gemcutter/gemsetter who has been cutting green glass for years.  Next to him is a stockpile full of green glass furniture.  I tell Urist McJeweler to "Encrust Furniture with Green Glass", but rather than grab one of the masterwork glass doors from the pile next to him, he walks halfway across the map to grab an empty tower-cap barrel to encrust.  Does the restriction that an object can't be encrusted with the same material twice also mean that an object can't be encrusted with the material it's made of?  That is, no green glass encrusted green glass furniture?  Or am I missing something here?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't encrust glass furniture with glass?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17:30 pm »

I believe that an item can not be studded with its own material.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:09 am »

I'm fairly certain that I've encrusted green glass finished objects (in particular, large green glass gems) with green glass before, though I don't recall any specific instances. It's all dross anyway.

Are you sure you aren't falling victim to dwarven "pathfinding"? How many tiles was that barrel from where the dwarf was standing when he took the decorate job, as the mole digs? Remember that dwarves a) use straight-line distance to find the "closest" item for decorate jobs, and b) grab the item closest to them when they take the job, instead of the item closest to the workshop.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:57 am »

have you cut the green glass at the jewler's shop? it has to be processed like a gem before it can be used as such.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:26:13 am »

AFAIK, this is truth. At least for armor and weapons it is.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:19:53 am »

It's not a pathing issue.  I watched that dwarf walk from the jeweler's shop, past the green glass furniture stockpile, way over to the carpenter's shop to grab a barrel to decorate.  I've also had him encrusting finished goods with green glass, and a quick check of the stockpile shows lots of glass-encrusted stone crafts but not a single glass-encrusted large glass gem.  So it does look like in the current version at least you can't encrust objects with the same material they're made of.

I'll just have to clear-cut a few forests so I can encrust with clear glass instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:19:51 am »

Try putting what you want to encrust and what you want to encrust with into a room with a jewelers shop and lock the dwarf in there.

I've heard that this is the best method for making your dwarves encrust something specific.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »

b) grab the item closest to them when they take the job, instead of the item closest to the workshop.

I like 'as the mole digs,' but b) doesn't seem to be true. My metalcrafter keeps studding things in the metalcrafting room, as I intend. (I now have three iron-studded picks.)

However, when studding with multiple metals, if one of my targets gets tasked to return to the stockpile, she'll overlook it, and go stud something random.

AFAIK, this is truth. At least for armor and weapons it is.

Confirmed. My room has a bunch of iron doors and statues, but now I have several giant spider silk cloaks menacing with superior iron spikes. Double-checked that the furniture is closer as the mole digs.

I was wondering why trying to stud that shield with everything awesome resulted in a randomly studded door...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:45:55 pm by Alrenous »
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »

Alrenous: well, studding jobs do require two inputs: the metal and the item to be studded. I don't know what order the dwarf will grab things in, but it could easily be the metal and then the item, in which case the dwarf would head to your bar stockpile, grab the closest hunk of iron, take it to the forge, then find the nearest item (which, since he's now at the forge, is in the same room), take it to the forge, and stud it.

Typically the "grab the closest item" thing is only relevant for items made out of stone. For example, if you want to make some bauxite mechanisms, you make a workshop, surround it by bauxite, and then tell the mechanic to make mechanisms. But the first mechanism the mechanic makes will probably be made of a different stone -- the closest one to the mechanic when he took the job.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:00 pm »

Dwarves grab objects based on distance from current location, not workshop.

For example I had this setup recently...

Remote Mason workshop with stone stockpile adjacent to it.
Lots of distance (both vertical and horizontal) to a living area with lose stone.

Queue something up on the mason shop and the first thing produced by a dwarf would be in the stone type near the living area. Once the dwarf was in the workshop and working each additional task would use the stone from the nearby stockpile.

What would happen is the dwarf would get the workshop job, grab the nearest stone, walk to the shop, work, then look for the nearest stone from where they were which would be the nearby stockpile.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:26 pm »

You can add green glass decorations to Large green glass gems. Unfortunately I traded mine to the elves last time they came around, but they were definitely decorated. I'll set my jeweler to decorate finished goods and try to replicate it for a screenshot.

EDIT: Hmm, I could be wrong now that I think of it. They may have been bone decorations instead since I was doing both. I'll keep an eye out for Large Green Glass gems with green glass decorations.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:56:32 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:34:34 pm »

Derakon:
Ah, I see. Yeah for metalcrafting they grab the bar first, and then decide on what they're studding with it, and I suspect it works the same for gems and sewn images as well.

Large gems may be an odd exception, since we've now got two people who remember successfully doing so.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:36:58 am »

I've had my jeweler encrusting finished goods with cut green glass for some time now.  A check of my stocks shows screens and screens of green glass decorated stone crafts, but not a single green glass decorated large green gem.  Unless someone has a current screenshot showing otherwise, I maintain that under the current version large green glass gems can't be decorated with cut green glass.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:07:44 pm »

I've got a nice glass industry going on my current fortress, and I tried to encrust green glass goblets with green glass. After hunting down every other finished good in the fortress:
Udil Tosidzoloz, Gem Setter cancels Encrust Finished Goods With green glass: Needs improvable finished good item.
So you cannot encrust green glass goods (large gems, etc) with green glass.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »

My testing seems to support not being able to decorate glass with glass as well. I think last time I saw large glass gems decorated by bones, and not by more green glass
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit