Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumping magma question  (Read 1544 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumping magma question
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:16 pm »

I'm building a pump stack to bring the contents of a magma pipe onto the top of a tower.

Incidentally, the purpose is for a variation on the standard Fuck the World system. I have an outdoor town, with houses, buildings for workshops, a mead hall, and then I'm building a keep which will house the nobles, the military and emergency supplies in case of apocalypse. On top of the keep will be a large tank, multiple z-levels deep, with floodgates in staggered patterns around the edges. That means I can open just the gates on one side, or certain sides, or just all of them, flooding whichever part of the map I like or the whole thing, in lava.

Anyway, I'm pumping magma to the top to dump it into the reservoir. I know I'll have to get bauxite for mechanisms if I don't want to have to rebuild the floodgates after each use, but that won't be an issue for a while. Right now I just want to know if the blocks used in building a screw pump have to be magma-safe. I.e. do I have to forge the blocks out of iron too or can they be stone other than bauxite?

If they do, I'm probably going to mod magma-safety so it's realistic and I can use other stones. My map is short on hematite.

Also, will pumping a huge amount of magma many z-levels into the air take horrendously long if I have dwarves do the work or would it be way quicker to use a windmill? (I wouldn't mind having dwarves beef up on pumping)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:54:48 pm by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping magma question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:14:49 pm »

Fire-safe materials will suffice for pumping magma, so long as magma doesn't touch the passable tile of the pump. Wooden pumps may work, too, depending on your map. So you may want to try building a test wooden pump before building a giant pumping tower.

You should power your pumps with a windmill array or whatever, unless you want your magma to stop pumping because a dwarf decided to get a drink.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:44:11 pm »

Fire-safe materials will suffice for pumping magma, so long as magma doesn't touch the passable tile of the pump. Wooden pumps may work, too, depending on your map. So you may want to try building a test wooden pump before building a giant pumping tower.

Fire-safe?
You should power your pumps with a windmill array or whatever, unless you want your magma to stop pumping because a dwarf decided to get a drink.
What would happen then? It wouldn't backfire or something would it?

Oh Jesus

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:48:31 pm »

Fire-safe?

Corkscrew and pipe not made of wood, block not made of wood, bituminous coal, lignite, or graphite.

What would happen then? It wouldn't backfire or something would it?

No, it'll just stop pumping magma. The impassable tile acts as a wall, so a properly placed pump will serve to seal a magma channel and prevent any leaks, but if you need magma pumped quickly, it's best to use something that will never abruptly turn off.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »

I think the floodgate and the mechanism both need to be made of bauxite.  When the floodgate is up there's no problem, but when I let magma go by a floodgate that was down, which has a bauxite mechanism and a non-bauxite floodgate, I found the bauxite mechanism laying by itself in the magma; the nonbauxite floodgate seems to have melted and decontructed, leaving the bauxite mechanism lying there.

Note:  making the floodgate out of metal is probably ok; by nonbauxite I mean nonbauxite rock.  I wish you could make mechanisms out of iron - that would seem to make more sense anyway.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »

Rather than referring to floodgates as being "up" or "down" (it isn't explicitly stated if they lower into the floor, raise into the ceiling, or simply rotate out of the way), it's much simpler to state that a closed floodgate and mechanism can be made out of any material (except maybe wood?) and hold back magma, while an open floodgate must be made of magma-safe materials (either bauxite or an appropriate magma-safe metal) and use only magma-safe (i.e. bauxite) mechanisms on the gate itself (the mechanisms attached to the lever can still be made of anything) or the entire floodgate will deconstruct once part of it melts.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:16 pm »

Yeah, I previously made a magma-flooding machine that, it turned out, could only be used once since I didn't use bauxite for the mechanisms that opened the floodgate.

As for the pumps - I was wasting all my iron ore making corkscrews and pipe sections and now it turns out I can make those out of glass! Well, that's awesome - now I can train my glassmaker on all those pump components and have my smiths focus on weapons and armor.

Also, my home civ imports bauxite :D

Oh Jesus

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »

upload a pic of your town, would like to it. :)
Art is a Blast

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:46:15 pm »

Once the keep's done I'll upload some 3Dwarf (my computer's not good enough to run Visual Fortress) pics of the whole thing. I actually haven't looked at it in 3D yet and it probably looks like ass. For example, my mead hall is supposed to have a pointy roof, but because the main shape is only one z-level high, the proportions are gonna make it look really weird. My dwarves are all busy assembling the keep now so there's no time to go back and redo it.

Also, the keep is just about 3 stories high right now. I'm going to build it up to the max Z level and hopefully add some elaboration to its shape along the way, so things should look cool in a while...but they would look quite bland now.

I could upload the save file next time I get a chance if you want.

Oh Jesus

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 12:16:15 am »

You should really make the pumps magma-safe in case of accidents. Quite a few times now mine have ended up submerged in magma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:52 am »

hey I'm currently working on a similar project, an artificial volcano.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7075-toolcrew

sorry about how the initial point is way the heck off in the middle of nowhere, this is my first map that I've put up, so you'll probably want to use the points of interest link I put in to zoom in on it.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:36 pm »

Rather than referring to floodgates as being "up" or "down" (it isn't explicitly stated if they lower into the floor, raise into the ceiling, or simply rotate out of the way), it's much simpler to state that a closed floodgate and mechanism can be made out of any material (except maybe wood?) and hold back magma, while an open floodgate must be made of magma-safe materials (either bauxite or an appropriate magma-safe metal) and use only magma-safe (i.e. bauxite) mechanisms on the gate itself (the mechanisms attached to the lever can still be made of anything) or the entire floodgate will deconstruct once part of it melts.

When it asks for the two mechanisms to  link the lever to the floodgate, how do you tell which one is going to end up on the lever and which one on the floodgate?  50/50 chance and I always guess wrong.

\As for the pumps - I was wasting all my iron ore making corkscrews and pipe sections and now it turns out I can make those out of glass!

I could never get my glass workshop to ever turn out corkscrews or tubes.  They'd gather the sand, and make raw green glass, but not construct anything else.  Of course, this was the same game where they suddenly stopped all digging jobs even though I had mining turned on on everyone and three picks.  I finally had to abandon because I couldn't get them to do anything except party.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:37:40 pm »

When it asks for the two mechanisms to  link the lever to the floodgate, how do you tell which one is going to end up on the lever and which one on the floodgate?  50/50 chance and I always guess wrong.

It tells you which one you're linking.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 01:48:32 pm »

I could never get my glass workshop to ever turn out corkscrews or tubes.  They'd gather the sand, and make raw green glass, but not construct anything else.  Of course, this was the same game where they suddenly stopped all digging jobs even though I had mining turned on on everyone and three picks.  I finally had to abandon because I couldn't get them to do anything except party.

Raw green glass is a rough gemstone which can't actually be made into anything (you can have your jewelers cut it and then encrust it onto your goods, a great way to train them up without using your valuable gemstones) - all green glass items are made directly from sand bags and fuel (and pearlash for clear glass, and rock crystals instead of sand bags for crystal glass). Don't worry, lots of people make that mistake the first time.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:49 am »

It tells you which one you're linking.

Not only that, but as far as I've seen, they always link in the same order: first the floodgate (or other triggered device) then the lever (or any other trigger, such as a pressure plate)