Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d]Royal guard violates production order?  (Read 726 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d]Royal guard violates production order?
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:55:24 am »

This isn't really a bug, but rather behavior I find to be kind of odd.  I have a legendary Royal Guard who was recently imprisoned for 100 days for "Violation of Production Order."  Meanwhile, this legendary guard has to her name 3 dwarf kills, all of whom died while sparring with her, and she has never been charged with Murder (yes, I had my Baroness for at least one of these kills).  I find the dwarven justice system increasingly bizarre.

I realize nobles are annoying and do what they want, but isn't it pushing it a little to lock away a guard for not obeying a mandate?  Building stuff isn't in their job description... Now I have to worry about a champion throwing a tantrum and escaping my prison :P
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d]Royal guard violates production order?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:15:59 pm »

Sparring accidents are just that; accidents. I don't think the lack of punishment for them is a bug. As for the violated production order, nobles will usually try to pick someone= with skills relevant to the production order to punish. If they can't find one, they'll just pick someone random. The wiki says this random check excludes legendaries, though. Odd.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »

Does excluding legendaries extend to the finding of someone with related skills?  This isn't my first legendary to be sent to prison (In fact, I lost a legendary Carpenter to thirst because my dwarves locked him away and forgot to feed him), but it is the first Champion.

I guess my question now is this: is the Wiki in error and should be updated, or do I have a bugged save?
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:37:05 am »

I think you're right about it only excluding legendaries from random checks. Does your royal guard have any skills related to the mandate? Even then, it seems strange that a noble would punish a dwarf who had absolutely no way to make the required items. Have you noticed any obvious... wrongness with your save file? Any previous crashes? It's unlikely that save corruption is the cause of this, but it's still worth a look.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »

Her skills are Adept Woodcutter, Novice Stone Crafter, Novice social skills, Dabbling Grower, Grand Master Armor User, Adept Wrestler, Legendary Shield User, Legendary Axe Dwarf.  The Duchess's mandate was create Aluminum items.  I can't see her assigned jobs because she's a champion, but I'm positive she's never been assigned as a Metal crafter or anything like that because she was one of my starting dwarves, was drafted into the Guard as soon as possible, and I didn't even have a metal shop by then.

This save has seen a few minor bugs, but it's never crashed, and I've never reverted to an older save.  There was an issue with a super-slow trade wagon and a mechanic canceling a job over 1600 times.
Do it.