Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fall Of Reme: of Politics, War, Religion, Commerce, Technology and Exploration.  (Read 10792 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reme has fallen!
The words run around the old world like wildfire.
Reme has fallen!
Impossible, cry generals!
Impossible, cry kings!
Impossible, cry priests!
Reme has fallen!
The heathen Igitians conquered it. They slew the cardinals. They crushed the relics. They filled the churches with blackpowder and burned the city to the ground, then sowed the fields with salt and poisoned the wells. A hundred years reperation would not be enough. And even if, by some miracle, the city should be rebuilt, it would not be enough. The knowledge that there is even the possibility that the gateway to heaven should be crushed by heathen armies is enough. The damage has been done.
The unifist church is a lie. Perhaps even all of Luthianity
The bond between all countries of the old world- even those beyond, the political catalyst, the source of divine right, the military co-ordinator, the unifist church- destroyed. Can the old world even survive without the church?

The Kings are heathens!
From the north: Prince Eric II of Northland, heir to the throne, is no Luthian! He worships the Norse god Thor and his pantheon!
From Celtice: King Richard is ending the inquisition! No longer will druids of the Celtic faiths be chased and purged by the king's men. Though still illegal and prosecuted, the king will not search for them with proper Unifist fervor!
From the Holy Remen Empire: The Protesting church is risen! In dribs and drabs the rulers of the fiefdoms convert to Protestism, claiming the Unifist church corrupt and outdated! The fall of Reme can to them only be evidence that they are correct.
Whilst it is worrying indeed that these claims of heresy even exist, what worries more is that not all men shout out in anger when they hear them. Some consider it acceptable, or even right, to stray from the Lord's path.

The Crusade has ended!
No man can blame them; there is no honour in battle any more; a peasant with a knowledge of blackpowder can beat the most valiant knight in armour. Besides, with no Reme, who can command them? What are they even fighting for, if Reme itself no longer exists? The banners of the ecks are taken down. The knights return home to rule their fiefs, and perhaps never go to battle as knights again. The peasants return to their fields. The priests retreat and pray to God for answers to what has happened, and why.
The men who fought because fighting is what they know, however, do not have lives to return to. They must train in guns and cannon if they do not wish to become obsolete all together. Even now they plan retaliation, not out of honour, or faith, but out of a wish for a purpose, a goal in life. These are a new kind of solider. Professional soldiers, as adapt and focussed at their 'jobs' as a real artisan.

The New World beckons!
To the far west, across the great ocean, lie new, untainted lands, where mystical spices grow and fantastic beasts roam. The journey is long and hard, but already explorers have gone and returned, each with tales of lands unclaimed, waiting for a nation to fund an expedition to settle there.
And Africa, though the north is firmly in Islemic grip, is rich in spices and gems for those who will risk the natives to search for them. Already small settlements, no more than a rest stop for ships, litter the ivory coast, and each small pit stop has the chance to become the gateway to the riches of africa.
Further east, around the coast of africa, lies the far east. The silk road, though well traveled, is dangerous and long, and only few items come along it to europe. But each cargo of silk and spices flares the imagination, and now that a new, faster, sailable way has been revealed, avoiding all need to pass Islemic lands, who knows how fast the trade shall grow?

It is the year of our lord 1500.
Reme has fallen, and the world is changing. For better or worse, is yet to be decided.

BY YOU!

Yes, you, dear forumgoer, can affect the course of an already mangled history!
'But how can I, a lowlife from earth prime, 21st century, affect this world?', I hear you cry!
Well, don't be stupid! This is not a real place or time! It is all my imagination! And this is a FORUM GAME.
You can 'join' my 'forum game' and 'affect' this 'world' by your 'actions'.
Exact mechanics of this affecting: Chance, good roleplaying, and my whims!
You may join as any of the following:

A)A single influential figure- not a ruler of a nation or the leader of an orginization. This option requires the least work but also offers the least rewards (in terms of history-affecting-powers). As one guy you must select one interest which interests your guy. You can pick whatever you like, but a basic list is: Warfare, Technology, Politics, Religion, Exploration, Commerce. You also require a name and a starting position (for list of regions, see below)
Example of who you could join as:
Name&title:Some Rich Explorer Guy, the Rich Explorer.
Interest: Exploration
Current position: Kingdom of Iberia
Description: S.Guy has always been fascinated by exploration. As a child he would hike in the mountains of his native Iberia, mapping them as he went. When he was 16 his father let him join him on his mercantile ventures, and Guy learnt to sail, navigate, and barter. He became a successful merchant, his love of exploration driving him to ever further markets for ever more exotic goods. With the discovery of the New World Guy finally decided to sell his assets and invest in an ocean-going carrack and enlisted himself as an explorer to King Alfonso of Iberia. Now he prepares to sail the seas, in search of new lands.

B)An influential organisation. Be the power behind a guild, military organisation, religious group, or whatever you can come up with! This option allows for lots of history affecting whilst also allowing lots of freedom. An organisation may have one to two interests. It may be based in one region or spread out, although it requires at least one region where it has sufficient influence to build an HQ. As an organisation religion may have affect, so choose yourself at least one tolerated religion (no atheists in 1500!) and a level of involvement in religion (from 1-5). Also required: a name.
Example of an organisation:
Name: Defenders of Reme (DoR)
Interest(s): Religion and Reme
Religion: Unifisim (5)
Regions of Influence: Reme Region (HQ), high. Latinia Region, medium.
Description: The Defenders of Reme consist of survivors of the fallen Reme and highly devout Unifists, which includes both warriors and priests. They have taken it upon themselves to rebuild the city of Reme and protect it and what it stands for in the coming age of darkness. The Crusaders, after driving off the Igitians, gladly left them in charge of the ruins. The DoR now seek to have a new Pope elected and the college of cardinals reformed, and to prevent Unifism collapsing after what they see as naught but a test for the faithful. That may prove to be simple in comparison to getting people to remain faithful to Unifism.

C)A nation! Control a nation, Civ style, in this age of turmoil. This option does hem you in a little qua free choice, as you can only join as an existing nation, ruled by an existing leader, in an existing geographical position, with existing policies. Well, it's not that bad, actually. You can modify your chosen nation a little, or even a lot if you can provide a good case for why your version of the alternate nation is better. Any nation not player controlled will be AI'd.
I shall provide a list of regions and a brief summary about them. (Note: Geography corresponds almost exactly with that of earth prime)

Northland: Scandanavia. I'm not sure how much of it, but most of it. Basically vikings and their ilk.
   Leader: King Eric II, to old to really have a personality any more. Soon it will be the heir: Prince Eric III. Forwards-looking and rebellious.
   Religion: Fairly Unifist (60%). Some Protesting and a fair chunk (25%) Norse. The current king is Unifist, but he is old, and his heir is -allegedly- more 'old school'
   Politics: Good relations with the Holy Remen Empire. Trade with the Cossaks (russia). Complicated politics with Celtice, currently neutral. Tensions with Gaulland.
   Military: Their Longships are feared on the high seas still, despite not being able to carry many cannon at all. Their warriors are toughened by cold and harsh terrain, and tough fighters for it, but lacking in cavalry. Gunpowder is not used     much in northland, but that could easily be changed- the Cossacks are willing, eager, to sell them blackpowder weapons in exchange for european goods.

Celtice: Britain, but then where the normans got their asses handed to them in 1066. So none of that fancy pants french influence!
   Leader: King Richard II. Young and charismatic. Celtice-first policies. Going into middle age is mellowing him.
   Religion: Devoutly Unifist (75%). However, Protesting, Celtic, and Norse have small followings. The crown is Unifist and other religions are illegal, but King Richard II seems to be becoming more tolerant.
   Politics: The only reason they are not at war with Iberia is because of the recent crusade. Relations with Gaulland are ok. Complicated politics with Northland, currently neutral.
   Military: The mighty welsh longbow is still in great use, as it has a greater range than all handheld firearms. The mounted Knight was never very popular in Celtice (not being hyped up by the normans after their conquest on account of       how they never conquested), so its decline has not affected them. Infact they have taken to guns with such eagerness that they have mounted them, giving them a great, original military advantage.

Gaulland: France... just, france. You know. France. In the middle ages. Joan of arc and all that.
   Leader: King Philip II. Traditionalist. Military interest.
   Religion: Devoutly Unifist (80%). Some expanding protesting influence and a little lingering rural celtic. Religion is just an assumed part of life, like breathing.
   Politics: Relations with Celtice are ok. Tensions with Northland. Relations with Iberia are ok. Complicated politics with the Holy Remen Empire, currently neutral. Tensions with Latinia.
   Military: Knights. What's wrong with knights? A knight is faster and better trained than a crossbowman or -heaven forbid- a musketeer! The Gaulland armies consist of troops who are high on morale but low on technology, with lots of         knights. But for how long this will last is questionable.

Iberia: The entire Iberian peninsula. That's spain and portugal.
   Leader: King Alfonso. Pretty damn Unifist indeed. Also interested in exploration.
   Religion: Pretty Unifist indeed (70%). A smidgen of Original and some judaic colonies. Also the south retains an annoying Islemic faction (15%). Unifism is promoted fiercly 
   Politics: Relations with Gaulland are ok. The only reason they are not at war with Celtice is because of the recent crusade. Relations with Latinia are Good. They are at war with North Africa, but there is little happening.
   Military: Good all-round armies, with experimentation occuring with gunpowder. Their ships, though not the very best, are of an excellent quality.

The Holy Remen Empire: Germany, dutchlands, austria, that sort of thing. Pretty much all of western europe not part of another country.
   Leader: The Landraad, a council consistent of the leaders of the city states and fiefdoms of which the empire consists. Although
        arguably it is merely for show, with city states even going to war with each other on occasion. The council is not interested in
        running the country, preffering personall power. Mildly commercial.
   Religion: Fairly Unifist (65%). But Protesting originated here and it's following is growing (15%). Also some pagan (norse&celtic)
        and some Original influence. Some judaic colonies.
   Politics (with non-empire people, inter empire politics I will ignore): Complicated politics with Gaulland, currently neutral. Good
        relations with Northland. High tensions with Latinia. Relations with the Cossaks are ok. Tensions with the Hellenics (greeks)
   Military: Focus on infantry, and willing to modernise. Archers armed with crossbows are trained to kill armoured cavalry and the
        armoured cavalry are un-armoured and trained to avoid crossbows and musketeers. A few units of musketeers in the works.

Latinia: Italy. Consistent of city states. Not one country, but counted as one region. City states can be counted as regions as well, though.
   Leaders: Typically rich merchants, rather than hereditary kings. Interests vary but mostly commercial. All of them unifists.
   Religion: Unifist.
   Politics: High tensions with The Holy Remen Empire. Relations with Iberia are Good. Tensions with Gaulland. High Tensions with Hellenics. At war with Igit (egypt).
   Military: Varies. Gunpowder is widely used.
      City states of note:
      Reme. Now ruined. Nevertheless, holding the region is a symbol. Perhaps something could be done to repair it, slowly.
         Military: In it's day, it had a highly trained infantry class.
      Vinece (venice). It is said that the arsanell of Venice can produce a war galley every week, and this is true.
         Military: The mass-produced galleys are not shoddy, but it is the finely built war galleys, with banks of cannon and reinforced hulls that truly inspire fear into enemies of vinece, and are rightly called the most mighty ships on the             sea. Unfortunatey, vinecian vessels are designed for use on the meditereanen only, but ocean going vessels are also produced, and the art of perfecting them is always underway.

Other nations:
Cossacks: Russia. Divided states, lots of gunpowder weapons due to [mongolian] influence. Original.
Turks: Need good name plz. Horse archers who have decided to make a nation. Uh, sure, turks. That's going to happ- hey what are you doing to byzantium? Islemic
Igit: Egypt. Islemic fanatics. Cannon and guns are what they do. And they do it well.
North africa: Islemic. Moors. Horse archers and stuff.
Hellenia: Greece and the balkans. Not one nation. Mostly original, but also some Unifist. They get conquered, that's what they do.
The Holy Land: The latest crusade was to protect this nation. Actually all crusades are. Tries to be Unifist, but also has large islemic and original influence.

'Holy shit, Nuke. That is one giant wall of text!' Yes it is my friends! But don't worry you will be elaborating upon it by yourself a lot until you know it all by heart! That is, infact, mostly the point!

'So Nuke what is actually the point?' Make an entity and further its goals, thereby creating a history!

'Nuke I want more details on the actual friggin gameplay rather than pointless backstory!' Hmmn. Get the fudge out of this thread.

Haha. More seriously:
Turns will last, say, a week. They will usually represent 2 years of game time. In each turn you can do three things:
1)Roleplay (Pure): Make up details about the world. Unless I rule otherwise all this will be considered cannon.

2)Minor actions: Attempt to do some minor action which could fail but does not have game-shattering implications. You may do a certain amount of these per turn and they will fail or succeed based on a luck. Your skill roll against the action difficulty roll. Say, a merchant tries to make money in city X. If the merchant is a noob merchant his skill might be only D4. If he is an experienced merchant it might be a lot higher, D10, say. If the city is a hub of trade in which even the beggars are clothed in silk it might have a difficulty of D3, but if the city is ruled by monopolies and in a lull of trade it might be, say, D12. Bonuses to rolls are constant, like a merchant with a cargo of rare spices gets a +2 bonus to his rolls. Negative bonuses are also possible. Like a city which has issued a law promoting trade loses a constant 1 from its difficulty. Your skill at different skills will be told as well as any bonuses, and you can discover what the difficulties of certain actions are. You may perform a limited amount per turn, which varies.

3)Major Actions: Change the world! Sack Reme, for example. These actions will succeed based on my whims entirely. If you want to increase the chance of success, bribe me... with good gameplay! If I like you, because your roleplaying is frequent, balanced, and fun to read, and you properly seperate your knowledge from that of your entity, and such, you may find your victories more common. One major action may be undertaken per turn per player. Ofcourse, the major action of a nation will be more major than that of a single guy.

'Sweet were do I sign up?' Right here.
'Ok one more question: Magic?' Oh, go on then, just a little. But not too much.

PS: Any questions feel free to ask!

EDIT: Questions!

What is with the strange names?
All on purpose! They are silly mutations of real world names for the purpose of not offending people and suchlike! It should be pretty easy to figure out all the real names though. If you think you have a better new name for a place please tell!

Has X been invented?
If you want! If you think that the invention or device you want in the game is reasonable for the level of technology, then feel free to add it and it's inventor to the world! You can add things to history and the present as you wish; The world has the bones of history and culture only, letting the player fill in details as they wish!

Your rules are vague! Please expand upon them, make them more structured!
I will do so in the section below this titled RULES: CLARIFICATIONS AND STRUCTURE!

What is X called in the Remen world?
If I haven't named it, whatever you like! No all to silly names, though, please. This random name generator is quite useful if you need a name for something and can't think of one!

RULES: CLARIFICATIONS AND STRUCTURE!
Spoiler: In progress (click to show/hide)
I'll finish this tommorow. It's pretty damn long already!

Turn one will last 2 years, from spring 1500 to spring 1502!
Turn one effects:
In the next 5 turns half of all Unifist peoples will convert to a different religion (assuming no other effects.. effect it). If another Luthian religion is present in the region they will probably convert to one of them. If there is no other religion available they will become [REGIONNAME] pagans.

Due to the political turmoil all political skill and difficulty scores are HALVED for the next three turns. This will make politics a lot more unpredictable!

Notes: The igitians have been beaten. There is no threat from them now.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:34:11 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll join.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas at the moment. But I'll make an organization tomorrow, I swearz!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, um, Nuke, did you intinally misspell Islemic?

What is Unifism? Is that Catholicism?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile

i will join 2 but not today, tommorow

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

wow, big wall of text. I must read it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Name&title: Julius Galivinci
Interest: Intellectual revolution
Current position: On one minor trading ship in the Mediterranean or another, he is always on the move to evade the inquisition.
Description: The son of a lesser noble, his father went bankrups in his youth and when he died Julius emidiatly sold his title, resulting in him having a large amount of money. He is an heretic and an atheist, advocating numerous extremely controversial ideas (usually heavily improved by himself and renamed) such as Athenianistic Governence and the Rationalistic Natural Observation Principle. He is a first class genius, and always working on one prodject or another. He is also an a very persuasive author, but has been unable to Get his books in print.
With this sudden change in the political climate, that last part might be about to change.

(OOC description: You probably know the kind of person Julius is; in our timeline similar ones have existed: Voltaire, Galileo, Darwin, Marks, Aristoteles, and others. Peaple who have no direct influence at all, but throught what the write shape the world in ways that are pherhaps much greater than any king. Sometimes they are wrong and sometimes right, but that matters less than that at one point peaple didn't know if they were or not. Julius differs in that he's an extreme version, like a bunch of these thrown together, and his ideas ar sometimes several hundred years earlier than they were in our world. Also, despite his great technological genius, most of the works that are actually influential will be theoretical studies of nature, descriptions of political systems, or even works of fiction. (Also, yes, i know there weren't all that many people like this at the time, but it's not like it's the only thin g different from here.) )

---

My action this turn:
During this turn, one of Julius  mayor occupations is studying anatomy, stealing corpses from graveyards and dissecting animals, focusing on embryology.
At some point during the second year, he publishes and manages to get a book of his printed in almost 600 copies in various cities in Latinia and Gallia. The book is a humorus work of fiction called Celestial Barbarian, and is abaut a group of pagans (lead by a Norse religius leader) who got bought out of Hell by their Unifist relatives, but then comit crimes in Heaven. The book makes comparisions betwen almost all mayor faiths, parodying them and pointing out their flaws and inconsistencies with sharp logic, the book ends with a civil war in Heaven and a strong case for atheism.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i decided to play a NATION
yes a nation and god maybe knows what will hapen when i am in control of a whole land

I want to play as the Russians

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, um, Nuke, did you intinally misspell Islemic?

What is Unifism? Is that Catholicism?
All questions will be answered!
Islem = Islam!
   An Islem = A Moslim!
Luth = Christ!
   Thus, Luthian = christian
   Luthendom = christendom
   And Luthianity = christianity!
Unifism = Catholicism! Nigh identical, yes!
Protestism = Protestantism!
Original = Orthodox!

All crappy mutations of real names are intentional! If you can think of better ones, please tell!

I'll join.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas at the moment. But I'll make an organization tomorrow, I swearz!
Yay!

i will join 2 but not today, tommorow
Cool!
Also: I hear the GM likes the english language. Capitalising I might win you bonus points, and writing too instead of 2! The GM took 5 friggin hours (+ research, admittedly) to come up with, write, rewrite, and read, re read, and finally format the first post, so I think you saving a few seconds on yours would not impress him!
(It's no biggy, though. Just a matter of preference)

Guy who, if you told me armok was going to play, I would imagine him playing as!

Actions!
Woah, armok! It is cool that you are playing (and I look forwards to seeing you burn for heresy) but you should not start making actions yet!
When we have some more players and their entities I will start dishing out skills and so forth, and filling in details for nations unclaimed. Your major action (I assume that is the book) is acceptable as a major action but I can tell you now for free that it will fail. Epicly. Latinia is still wholly Unifist, and you will not find a publisher to publish that book for you! You may have more luck in gaulland, but even there, it will not be well accepted! Waiting for even a single turn would dramatically improve your chances at success, as people will have left unifism in droves! For best results, you should probably publish originally in the Holy Remen Empire, where new religious ideas have been show to get attention and consideration. You could spread your book from there, and the Holy Remen Empire does have meditereanen shores!

i decided to play a NATION
yes a nation and god maybe knows what will hapen when i am in control of a whole land

I want to play as the Russians
Are you sure? The cossaks are not very involved! I would recommend one of the lands I put into greater detail, or one of the Islemic lands, which I would have detailed, but I am ignorant of their ways! (I am sad of my racism through ignorance. Observe: :( )
Long Live United Forenia!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Oups.
Also, i thought the success/fail of the action was how much influence the book had/how much spread it got. Not if the books got printed, but if someone bought them, or if the church intercepted and burned them quickly.
Also, consider my action changed according to your advice.
I also mentioned that the book was publised during the later part of the turn, so some would alredy have converted. I also wanted to get the book out when the conversion rateas are as high as posible, so that they'd convert to atheism rather than just some branch of Luthianity.
About being burned, remember that my entire lifestyle I centred around evasion of that, so I'm probably pretty good at it, there is also the fact that there isn't any photography and such, so they probably have no idea who are even the source of the things I do, or for that matter that it's the same person.
Also, i sorta figured it might be early for actions, I just wrote it to que it up so I didn't forget, consider actually TAKING the action to happen once it's time for that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile

those rules seem a little...err...very open ended.

could you maybe explain the game mechanics in a bit more structured way, sorting them properly ?

(think, what would istrian do)

because I am fairly interested in this game, but it seems kinda...well, not thought through until the end
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

I want to play too, but I'm going to wait for some more structure.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

Yeah, same here. Wait, if Luth = Christ, what would the equivalent of Lutherans be called?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Of Reme: of Politics, War, Religion, Commerce, Technology and Explorati
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:22:14 am »

i changed my mind i want to be the Celts
Longbows are just awesome

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: The Phoenix Guard
Interest(s): Warfare and Religion
Religion: Unifism (4)
Regions of Influence: The Holy Remen Empire (High), Northland (Low), Gaulland (Low)
Description: The Phoenix Guard believe the only true path in life is the path of the warrior. They seek perfection,
 and believe the only way there is through countless battles. Also show almost fanatic devotion to God, the perfect being. They are always in the heads of crusades, and have a reputation for being a fearsome foe, and also one that takes no prisoners. Think Unifism is the only true religion, and all the followers of other religions must be converted or taken to meet the executioner.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

Has the printing press been invented, because the faction I thought up would be pretty reliant on it.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5