Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with so many caged creatures?  (Read 2163 times)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with so many caged creatures?
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:38:15 am »

So, what do you suggest I should do? My front door cage trap defense got me 33 goblins and 1 weird dwarf (another 2 missing somewhere).

Also, I have neglected to butcher any strays (somehow, I couldn't bring myself to butcher the animals). Thus, I have ended up with 264 animals (z screen). And still breeding. Mostly dogs, cats, but also some exotic animals from the elves.

On a side note, one of my Guards went and killed a stray bactrian for no reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What to do with so many caged creatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:46:20 am »

Disarm all of the hostiles (using d-b-d to mass dump their equipment, then undesignate the cages themselves), then build the cages in an arena and hook them up to a lever. Lock your military inside the arena and Pull the Lever. Watch hilarity ensue. This is also a great way to train your nervous-injured soldiers.

Alternatively, you could build a suitably tall execution tower (taller is always better) and chuck them off of it. This would also work for eliminating your stray animals, though it would be much more productive to butcher them (so you at least get meat, tallow, and leather out of the deal).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:59 am »

I use the arena as well, but I've never thought of using it to train injured dwarves. Or I execute them by firing squad, in a setup with two rooms separated by fortifications. Probably the safest way to use them for training, and it's a way to train marksdwarves if you're low on wood or bone but have plenty of metal bolts. And, of course, it will extract the bolt-making material stored within those goblins.

And butchering kittens and puppies is tough. You may get used to giving the order, but there's still something sad about seeing that c going ? as it's being led to... the farm...

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:10 am »

Butcher puppies! What madness is this, that's a waste of a wardog to hunt down Goblin thieves or use as an Arena combatant!
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41:35 am »

there's still something sadhilarious about seeing that c going ? as it's being led to... the farm...
Fixed that for you.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

Sacrifice them to the great giant olm god of course! What a silly question!  :P

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:16 pm »

Butcher EVERYTHING. Your dwarves will be up to their armpits in cat and dog burgers before they know it. ;D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:48 pm »

If you drop the creatures off of a tower, the dwarves will pick up their exploded bits and take them to the butcher's shop to be turned into usable products. In fact, I believe you can get more usable bones and meat out of a creature that's exploded - each limb produces a bone separately. The stacks are smaller, but I believe stack size doesn't matter when you're using bone to decorate. So if you drop a dog off a tower and it explodes into four pieces you can decorate four things with dog bone instead of just one.

I've never tried doing this on an industrial scale before, but if I were to make the attempt I'd make a tall tower with a platform that drops into a pit whose floor is a refuse stockpile, surrounded by walls with doors leading to butcher shops. Make the pit deep enough that splattered pieces of the creatures dropped off the tower aren't able to reach the top to "escape". The pit doesn't have to be very wide but it's probably more fun that way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:52:16 pm »

If you drop the creatures off of a tower, the dwarves will pick up their exploded bits and take them to the butcher's shop to be turned into usable products.

Only if they were Wild Animals - dead tame animals will never be butchered.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:04:02 am by Quietust »

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:45 am »

It's possible to use colors that aren't on the menu? What an outrage!  :P

Oh, and butchering puppies... they do make good war dogs, but try telling that to the 40 migrants who arrived before that second winter, which also was the winter after the human caravan was attacked by carp and the dwarven caravan had a run-in with fire imps. It was miserable!

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:56:06 am »

Also if your facilities arent up to snuff for handling your current detainees, you can always consolidate them to one cage. That will free up the other cages for traps.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:46 am »

All my animals are in 1 cage.

Do they eat my FPS? My 76 dwarf fort has a measly 10 FPS at the moment (with 40 idling).

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:21:13 am »

It's the pathfinding that eats most of your fps. An animal in a cage should have about the same effect as any other object, just one more thing among thousands for the game to track.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:40 am »

What you can do is have a challenge to see if your noble is worthy enough to rule in your fort.  Have your noble fight increasing waves of goblins and if he manages to survive then he is sure legendary enough to demand that Adamantine table in his bedroom.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:03:16 am »

It's the pathfinding that eats most of your fps. An animal in a cage should have about the same effect as any other object, just one more thing among thousands for the game to track.
I dug a 1 Z-level pit at the beginning and dropped every tame animal in there. Well, not every tame animal, because I can't drop pets, but there are still quite some creatures down there. They don't eat any fps because they can't path outside the small pit and they still breed. I'm thinking of dropping some invaders down there, but it will be hard to extract the Goblinite because I don't want to dig a path down ther. All the creatures will swarm to my meeting hall and that's no good. Airlock system should work, but they will still try to path through the doors, thus straining my fps. But that can be handled by constructing a wall in the airlock system after getting the goblinite.
Pages: [1] 2