Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training.  (Read 422 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Training.
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:03:00 am »

Do weapon users take longer to train than wrestlers?
I have a ten man unit of armoured and equipped axedwarves who have been off duty for a while, however they do not seem to be gaining experience nearly as fast whereas all units I left training unarmed seemed to become champions in 10 minutes.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17:14 am »

Yeah. It's a known 'feature' of the present version of DF.
Wrestlers train unimaginably fast. You can have champion wrestlers in little over a year if you like.

When training with weapons, it is wise to equip your dwarves in some form of armor (preferably better than leather) to avoid sparring accidents. Also, a few levels of wrestling to start out with also prevents injury when fighting, in general.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:22:01 am »

Aye I generally tell my squads to stay on duty untill everyone has a helm shield and chain mail, the most common series accident is actually novie wrestlers chocking eachother to death which is why I decided to train this unit on axes from scratch.
So far none have been given any broken or mangled injuries unlike a few champions I have cross trained (I'm guessing this has to do with a champions strength inflicting worse wounds on each other?) 

I don't suppose the training is something I can edit either?
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »

Nope.

Wrestling trains up a little while training weapons too, it seems.  So if you're trying to avoid heroes, keep that in mind.