Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf stuck airborne  (Read 1716 times)

Shoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf stuck airborne
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:51 am »

This was most probably a sparring accident.
One of my fortress guards was happily sparring in barracks and apparently got stuck in the ceiling.
She's been there for a rather long time (no idea how long exactly), but she doesn't appear to be hungry or thirsty, or try do anything else than "spar in barracks" (she doesn't move, and the announcement log is not showing her failing to do any actions).

Anyone experienced this before? Or any good ideas how to get her down? :D

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf stuck airborne
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:07:55 am »

It would be unfortunate and awesome if she is considered to be falling this whole time.  If she ever breaks loose she'll absolutely EXPLODE.

I got nothing to help you, I've never experienced that before.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:35 am »

While I've never experienced this before, my advice would be to channel out the ceiling above her, and if that doesn't work, try pouring water on her.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:41:21 am »

Search the forums, I remeber this happening a while back for someone wih a goblin. I don't recall what they did though.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:47:00 am »

This happen all the time for me..
Have a good chance of happening if a dwarf is on top of a wall, as in the wall have created the tile hes standing on, and the wall is removed.
I've had 3 - 4 dwarves go falling that way.

They'll be in stasis in whatever shape they were in at the time, I've had a child being nauseas midair for some 9 years now (And they're modded to mature after 6) and the first time I even filled the place up with water, but the guy lived in stasis midair/water for 12 years.

And no, none of them came to an end, I abandoned them so they never broke loose.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:03 am »

There is a goblin in my fortress with this problem.  Except he is outdoors, so you can't even say that he's stuck to something.  He still appears on the unit list as an invader, but luckily does not scare merchants or my dwarves.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:20:21 am »

I've heard this can be caused by saving the game mid-fall.  There could be other causes though.

Falling creatures are in a sort of stasis and do not really interact with the world.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:38:39 am »

I would reccommend using DF companion to manually move her position. If that doesn't work, you can use it to kill her.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:54 am »

Magma.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

Don't kill her until you try digging/channeling her out, and if necessary building a floor under her.

Also for the sake of science, at some point try unrecruiting/recruiting her to see if it breaks her out of stasis.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:54:48 pm »

Magma.
This is about the only problem that magma can't solve.  Falling creatures don't interact with the world in any way.  That is, until they hit the ground.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Shoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:27:26 pm »

Alright, thanks for ideas.
This happen all the time for me..
Have a good chance of happening if a dwarf is on top of a wall, as in the wall have created the tile hes standing on, and the wall is removed.
I've had 3 - 4 dwarves go falling that way.

I can say this was not it, haven't been rewalling around there (and built the place underground in the first place). Good to know this does it, too.
Possibly just saved when she was mid-air.

Digging a channel above did not work, and neither did recruiting/unrecruiting her. Could not get her back to fortress guard, though, and now she's just an ordinary recruit. Which is a shame, making some noble happy would have been the best use for her in that state.

Might as well leave her there, she's an amusing sight every time I have a look at the barracks' direction. :)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »

This is about the only problem that magma can't solve.  Falling creatures don't interact with the world in any way.  That is, until they hit the ground.

It can, however, solve it from the other end of the "If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?" perspective. That is: fort "fixed". It should also have the possibility of fixing things by creating solid ground in all sorts of spots that have the potential for stopping the "falling". So if digging out the ceiling and all other adjacent tiles fails, try adding tiles via... Magma.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 10:32:44 pm »

While I've never experienced this before, my advice would be to channel out the ceiling above her, and if that doesn't work, try pouring waterMagma on her.
Fixed
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:28 pm »

Hacking might be able to fix it by removing airborne.

I'm not sure if DC has the code though. If you can find out which parameter shows airborne, just hack it out of her, and she'll land.
Pages: [1] 2