Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sober Fort  (Read 4444 times)

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sober Fort
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:34:22 am »

has anyone here made a sober fort,and if so what happened?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sober Fort
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:38:32 am »

Never tried.. But I suppose a lot of FUN will come out of that.
Dwarves taking more and more breaks.. making more and more friends they can lose..
 :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:15:36 am »

This is an... abomination. Kill it with fire.

Hehe, actually my very first fort turned into a sober fort because I had no idea what the hell I was doing.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:15:49 am »

I've also had a few forts wind up sober - mostly back in the 2D days. In modern times, a fort that goes sober is actually much more likely to have problems - simply because it takes a LOT more effort to get a well working in most cases, and if you're not using a well dwarves could get upset(or killed by wildlife on the way to the brook).

Even forts that are starting to go sober can be frustrating to work with because of the more/longer(not sure) breaks the dwarves start taking. Breaks can be frustrating enough in a fort that has booze enough for every dwarf to swim in, never mind dwarves that can't remember what +dwarven wine+ tastes like anymore.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:37:32 am »

...Starvation.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:41:42 am »

I'm usually never able to create booze because all barrels always gets taken to the food stockpile. After buying lots booze from traders, i get a surplus of barrels, and that's when the booze production starts. >_>

I didn't notice much of a difference when i started getting booze in my fort. Work gets done and everyone is ecstatic, just like before.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:36 am »

Short dry spells won't be noticable.  However after going for a couple years, all work really grinds to a halt and just sustenance level farming gets really hard.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:45 am »

I've had this happen in forts that ran out of barrels and didn't have enough wood to make more. It's a major pain because everyone works and moves ridiculously slowly.

Really, it's nothing special and I wouldn't recommended it as a challenge. It just makes the dwarves run slower, which means you have to sit there and spend more time waiting for stuff to get done. Might make them a bit crankier, not sure.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:08 am »

Might make them you a bit crankier, not sure.

Fixed that for you.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 01:01:12 pm »

I had a sober military once. That ended with them tearing each other apart.

My current fort had a nearly-dry spell when under siege by humans. No trees indoors, no wood stocks, barely any barrels. Any time a barrel went free, it was instantly filled with booze.
This ended when I struck copper, and made a load of bins and barrels, as well as weapons and armour for the military-in-training. Then I could kick them out the airlock and drive off the humans.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »

I recently had a fort that was sober, but due to everyone being abnormally slow and taking so much breaks, my military was much to weak to defend against the first siege, and my mechanic never decided to reload the traps from a prior ambush so it ended in some real FUN.

Fucking Mechanic... -.-
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »

It may be wise, early in your fortress's life, to go into the Stockpile menu (p) and use the controls there to reserve barrels, maybe 5-10 of them. That way, those barrels will not be used for stockpile duties - they'll be saved for tasks that specifically require a barrel(brewing, plant processing, and construction of an ashery or dyer's shop come to mind).

Running out of barrels while out of booze indeed stinks, and I usually forget to reserve them until it happens. Maybe that should be a configurable setting in the init - the default Reserve Barrels setting for a new fortress. (And Reserve Bins, but I don't think there's much point to doing that as it stands, since no tasks explicitly use bins and they're ONLY for stockpiling.)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »

Most of my forts are sober, my biggest (180 dwarves, king, HFS dead, over 7 million wealth) seems to run just fine without booze, sure my magma silo is going a bit slow, but it's huge so...

running a sober fort is easy, running one without stone is HARD AS HELL
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:20:58 pm »

Sober is horrible for your dwarves.  Your military ones too!  Dwarves become slower, take more breaks, and get unhappy thoughts when sober.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »

In some games, sober dwarves had been known to die of thirst instead of drinking from a well.
Pages: [1] 2