Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You hear rushing water Ursist?  (Read 757 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You hear rushing water Ursist?
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:19 pm »

So my new sparkly fort is up and running and I'm just now putting effort into the long trap and creature infested cavern to my fortress. I've got something special planned for the end though and need to know if it will work or not.

Water
 |
 v
\  \
 \  \
  \  \___
   \  ___
    |____

Basially I've got a large source of water hanging about 9 z-levels of ramps and want to know if the water will push things down the ramp when released. The water itself is from a running underground river is the source is about 2 z-levels above the water reservoire.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You hear rushing water Ursist?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »

Water forces behave....unpredictably, at best. Ramps aren't actual ramps, but more a state of an cleared tile determining access to other Z-levels, so it probably won't have any effect that simply forcing water down a stair-shaped channel* wouldn't. Sounds like you'll have to find out and tell us!

*By this I don't mean stairs stairs, but:

Code: [Select]
| |
| |
| |_
|_  |_
  |_  |_
    |_  |_
      |_  |_____
        |________
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:18 pm »

Water does not push reliably. It can push things, but only as long as it's less than 7/7 depth; water that's at 7/7 is considered unmoving. This saves a great deal on the fluid sim calculations, but makes water pushing unreliable at best.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »

Water does not push reliably. It can push things, but only as long as it's less than 7/7 depth; water that's at 7/7 is considered unmoving. This saves a great deal on the fluid sim calculations, but makes water pushing unreliable at best.

You know what? Screw it, I'm adding magma!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »

Adding magma is probably not a good idea

You should drain it first :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:57 pm »

You know what? Screw it, I'm adding magma!
I cannot call this dwarfy, as both choices of resorting to lava and massive construction projects necessary to keep water at less than 7/7 depth through your deathtrap are dwarfy.

Unless you make a system to fill the cavern with ankle-deep lava.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:23:48 pm »

Well the keeping at at less then 7 is easy. The problem is that since ramps aren't actually ramps the pressure and flow is broken from transition from z-level to z-level. The water isn't "Flowing" down, it's simply being teleported from one level to another if I interpretted the wiki right.