Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Economy  (Read 656 times)

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Economy
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »

Well when I got my new computer I forgot to disable the dwarven economy in the init file.
Now the baron has arrived and started it up. I don't particularly like the dwarven economy. If I go disable the economy in the init, will it still be going on in my fort since its already started?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarven Economy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »

Once the economy has started, it cannot be deactivated for the lifetime of that fortress.

The opposite also appears to be true, if my fort is any indication - if you have the economy turned off at the moment it would have normally activated, it will not activate if you later turn the option back on in init.txt.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:18 pm »

Although, you can essentially roll back the clock by making everyone legendary in something, even if it's just Pump Operator or Bookkeeper. Depending on how you do it, this can interfere with moods, but if the only other options are to put up with it or reroll your fort, it's worth considering, and it's good for cross-training military forces and haulers.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:54:09 am »

My last fortress trained up every last dwarf to Legendary, and it had some rather... unfortunate effects on the economy. Namely, a few of my impulsive dwarves managed to acquire hundreds of items, mostly the rock crafts I was producing, and leaving them in the stockpiles rather than putting them away. One of them, a miner, refused to put away even a single item even when given a large empty bedroom, office, dining room, and even a tomb - upon closer inspection, his personality included both "is impulsive" and "is completely disorganized".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25:07 am »

Well when I got my new computer I forgot to disable the dwarven economy in the init file.
Now the baron has arrived and started it up. I don't particularly like the dwarven economy. If I go disable the economy in the init, will it still be going on in my fort since its already started?

Is this also true of invaders and artifacts? If one happens, can the others be prevented by turning off the option in the Init?

If not, I just screwed over a specific fortress I was doing...should've been more careful switching to d16.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:27:51 am »

My last fortress trained up every last dwarf to Legendary, and it had some rather... unfortunate effects on the economy. Namely, a few of my impulsive dwarves managed to acquire hundreds of items, mostly the rock crafts I was producing, and leaving them in the stockpiles rather than putting them away.

The sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off. About the only goods that exist for my dwarves to acquire are some large cut glass gems, a big pile of totems, four metric tons of goblin gear and several thousand dwarven syrup roasts. I've noticed one or two gems and some clothes strewn about, I can't imagine how bad it might get if I produced anything of that kind in any great number.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »

My last fortress trained up every last dwarf to Legendary, and it had some rather... unfortunate effects on the economy. Namely, a few of my impulsive dwarves managed to acquire hundreds of items, mostly the rock crafts I was producing, and leaving them in the stockpiles rather than putting them away. One of them, a miner, refused to put away even a single item even when given a large empty bedroom, office, dining room, and even a tomb - upon closer inspection, his personality included both "is impulsive" and "is completely disorganized".

Did it also include "is magmaproof"?  Because if it doesn't there's a simple solution.