Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Turnabout is fair play (HFS SPOILERS)  (Read 3729 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Turnabout is fair play (HFS SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 12:39:07 am »

There are pics, on the first page. Spoilered though. (Unless you're referring to the elf chunks, rather than the quantum quiver.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 12:49:34 am »

Also, could we refrain from using that phrase? It's such an idiotic thing to say.

My vote is cast for a harp. Suggests that it was made from making strips out of their hide >:3 If you do make a shrine to it outside, put it inside a glass box or with metal bars. also retractable bridge a moat where you toss all the dead elves into.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 01:56:52 am »

Would you expect any less of dwarves? By which I refer, of course, to the entire thread. :P
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

also retractable bridge a moat where you toss all the dead elves into.

Already got that covered...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:19:52 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 01:09:59 pm »

Which do you think is best - a buckler, shield, bag, backpack, quiver, or musical instrument?
Make a bag out of it because you can (b)uild bags as furniture.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 01:20:58 pm »

Dude, use dwarf companion. Change his profession for the mood to Mason. Savescum till leather statue.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »

Dude, use dwarf companion. Change his profession for the mood to Mason. Savescum till leather statue.

I just tried, and it doesn't make a difference - she simply made a leather item and gained legendary Masonry skill.

The key seems to be within the Strange Mood task itself, which is keyed to a particular material type - Dwarf Companion continues to list "Strange Mood Tanner" even after I change the mood skill to Mason, and she still consistently makes leather-type items. Furthermore, if I were to somehow change the mood job itself, I highly suspect it would simply create an item out of a material appropriate to the profession (or "toad bone" if an applicable item hadn't been collected).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:44 pm »

My god. that fortress is incredibly epic. Can't seem to find the moat for tossing elf corpses into. And I meant an open one. Don't retrieve them, let them rot.

and is bag an option? If it is, do it. Elf-tapestry!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 02:46:16 pm »

Can't seem to find the moat for tossing elf corpses into. And I meant an open one. Don't retrieve them, let them rot.

The magma pipe is my moat.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 02:48:34 pm »

I meant build a shrine to one side of your road, dig a small moat around it, put your shrine to the elf made artifact there, from then on toss all elfy refuse into that pit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »

So far, I've managed to get all instrument types other than drum (which is odd, since a drum is the one instrument that makes sense to be made out of leather) - I suspect it may be due to drums lacking the [HARD_MAT] token. At this point, I'm certainly not adverse to editing raws further, and I think an artifact elf leather drum would be sufficiently awesome.

As for the shrine itself, I'm considering making it out of cast obsidian, perhaps within a clear glass mold that I can leave behind - the magma is close enough to just manually pump across the grass (perhaps by first constructing some floors on top of it so I don't set the world on fire), and while I don't have water pipelines set up (and I can't easily justify doing so for such a small project), a bucket brigade would be able to solidify a small area quickly and easily enough.

[edit] upon adding [HARD_MAT] to ITEM_INSTRUMENT_DRUM and removing it from all of the other instruments, now I'm consistently getting drums. Go figure.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:04:01 pm by Quietust »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »

Actually, I think an elf leather harp would be pretty awesome. When played, it gives off an elfy scream of agony and despair.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »

Finally rolled a decent one. I was hoping to get one that menaced with spikes of elf leather, but this should do:

I present to you, Vathezzon Telinggïnonôsed, "Virginhelm the Coastal Stern-Maze", a elf leather harp

Weight: 19Γ
Basic Value: 596,400☼

This is a elf leather harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of elf leather and Native platinum. This object menaces with spikes of human leather, giant cave spider chitin, Star ruby and cave lobster shell.
On the item is an image of Momuz Craftsstrength the dwarf and dwarves in Native platinum. Momuz Craftsstrength is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Momuz Craftsstrength to leadership of The Godly Merchants in 1.
On the item is an image of blazing suns in Emerald.
On the item is an image of Zole Peacefulscab the demon in Rope reed. Zole Peacefulscab is striking a menacing pose. The artwork relates to the release of the demon Zole Peacefulscab by careless miners in the deepest recesses of Wasprag in the early winter of 59.
On the item is an image of Ducim Machinecaught the dwarf and dwarves in Adamantine. Ducim Machinecaught is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Ducim Machinecaught to the leadership of The Godly Merchants in 12.

For reference, Ducim Stâkudåkum, "Ducim Machinecaught", is my King. Also, there was nothing careless about the release of that demon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:19:34 pm by Quietust »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »

I would have suggested a bag. Bags can be constructed like furniture, would have been a great addition to your meeting hall (would really perfect the feng shui of the place) and would later be a great gift to your king, a legendary elf-leather bag with images of elves burning and falling to their death. But oh well, you chose a shitty harp.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:59:53 pm »

But oh well, you chose a shitty harp.

I'll thank you to keep those sorts of comments to yourself. You had your chance to make a suggestion earlier, and I was getting impatient from not being able to actually play my fortress.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:08:07 pm by Quietust »
Pages: 1 [2] 3