Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The future  (Read 3902 times)

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
The future
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:58:55 pm »

Dwarf Fortress... What we know today as an uncompleted-beta. In the future, What might become of it? Will it be sold in stores? Will it have Next Generation graphics? can you tell me how long until it's done? If not, Will it ever be "done"? Will dozens of new creatures or concepts be attached? Might there be another mode other than Adventure or Fortress? Will there be separate races to be played? Will there be new races? Hm...  these are all fascinating questions, no? If you have answers to them, or if they're already in place please reply with your answer or thoughts. ;D Ermm... Just don't be rude, I'm just dreaming.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Re: The future
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:02:24 pm »

I already seen some topics about "DF Future", i think the people should stop creating these topics, but DF are the cooler game right now, and in about some years will be coolest!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:19:01 pm »

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:57:28 am »

I'd really like to see up to date graphics added once the gameplay is polished. Toady can and should make some serious money on this game, but it needs eye candy to make it mainstream and sell-able to a wide audience.

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:04 am »

these topics are a dime a dozen, check out toadys arc list, that gives you the lo-down on version 1.0

however, even graphics from the year 2000 would make zis game teh LEGENDARY ARTIFACT WITH AN IMAGE OF A LIMESTONE STATUE, IN LIMESTONE ON IT

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:02:21 am »

I'd really like to see up to date graphics added once the gameplay is polished. Toady can and should make some serious money on this game, but it needs eye candy to make it mainstream and sell-able to a wide audience.

Just imagine...
Dwarf Fortress with Oblivion level graphics...
Adventurer mode where you can actually see your avatar beat the elves to death with their own internal organs...
Fortress mode with realistic 3D graphics...
A rendering of planepacked in all its fractal recursive glory...

As much as I love free software, I would happily pay £50-£200 for that.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:08:05 am »

A game this hideously complex?  With modern graphics?  It wouldn't run at 50 frames per second, it'd run at 50 seconds per frame.  :o
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »

A game this hideously complex?  With modern graphics?  It wouldn't run at 50 frames per second, it'd run at 50 seconds per frame.  :o

Who knows where the desktop PC will be power-wise by the time Toady is finished?

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 02:57:50 pm »

Considering exactly how complex the game will be at that point, I'd say that the prediction is still accurate.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »

Amusing hyperbole aside, I don't see graphics being that taxing if the code utilizes multiple cores and games-grade graphics cards, which it currently doesn't. If today's DF used all of my PC's hardware, it would have no lag problems, and my PC is almost 2 years old.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:16 am »

Just imagine...
Adventurer mode where you can actually see your avatar beat the elves to death with their own internal organs...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:25 am »

As long as it keeps its current graphics as an option.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 11:22:33 am »

Yeah, ASCII has a lot of charm.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 04:52:06 pm »

Just imagine...

Considering the glitchy nature of Planepacked's origin though, and how it is unlikely that the graphics engine would be prepared to render it, I imagine that it would be massively distorted beyond comprehension, or else highly compressed like a hypercube: looking at it from different angles would produce different "shadows" in the 3rd dimension.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 05:38:21 pm »

I personally think DF would just be way to gruesome and laggy to play with Oblivion level graphics, I kinda like being able to fill in the details of my beating an elf child to death with his parents head with my imagination, also then we wouldn't be able to wonder how you choke somebody with a pile of mud, cause the graphics would force their restrictive imagination on us.
*Also !!RAGE!! I WANT THE NEXT VERSION !!RAGE!!
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2 3 4