Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The future  (Read 3900 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: The future
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 03:58:05 pm »

The problems with giving DF graphics is that it will become the most controversial game ever.

Some games make children invincible, or not there at all, DF lets you pinch their spleen should you choose to do so.

Watching a man explode in gore would just be horrific in actual graphics(yet oddly tantalizing).

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »

The problems with giving DF graphics is that it will become the most controversial game ever.

Some games make children invincible, or not there at all, DF lets you pinch their spleen should you choose to do so.

Watching a man explode in gore would just be horrific in actual graphics(yet oddly tantalizing).
Not to mention other disturbing imagery such as female dwarves fighting goblins... And then spontaneously giving birth on the battlefield.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 05:31:51 pm »

There could be an advancment where humanoid females can only give birth in a bed. (you know, the civ ones... not magma peoples.)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 06:26:11 pm »

Not to mention other disturbing imagery such as female dwarves fighting goblins... And then spontaneously giving birth on the battlefield.
Or the line from boatmurdered where a bitch gave birth to a litter, that instantaneously began to maul the kobold she was chasing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:07 pm »

however, even graphics from the year 2000 would make zis game teh LEGENDARY ARTIFACT WITH AN IMAGE OF A LIMESTONE STATUE, IN LIMESTONE ON IT

Obviously none of you have seen Slaves to Armok Chapter 1.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 07:34:39 pm »

Just think about this. if DF got sate of the art graphics and gained mainstream popularity, imagine what our nice little community would be turned into. if you have a bad imagination then just spend 4 minutes in a Counter Strike match. the best part of the game (maybe) is the cult community that comes with it. I dont miss screaming 10 year olds

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »

Just think about this. if DF got sate of the art graphics and gained mainstream popularity, imagine what our nice little community would be turned into. if you have a bad imagination then just spend 4 minutes in a Counter Strike match. the best part of the game (maybe) is the cult community that comes with it. I dont miss screaming 10 year olds

Just think how great the community would be if the game was completely impossible to play.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:00 pm »

I'm not sure I understand this mentality - it's only fun if it's frustrating/ugly/painful enough that only the upper echelon play.  Conceivably Toady plans to release this game commercially, and make it appealing to beginners through tutorials and appropriate warning messages.  I doubt that will ruin the community or the core player base.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:48 am »

Yep.

We need to make an elite forum, if that happens.

ONLY acknowledged people can get in.

JonathanCR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 03:47:43 am »

Have you seen the Stonesense visualiser in the modding (I think) section? P'raps that might be the sort of thing you're looking for in terms of look.

I think that would be a great look. It's graphically appealing enough not to put off so many prospective players, and (crucially) clear enough to be able to tell at a glance what you're dealing with. But it's not detailed and realistic enough to portray all the imaginatively gruesome events that the previous few posts mention: you would still have to imagine them, which would mean that the very wide range of actions and events coded into the game wouldn't require an equally wide range of animations to depict them. In fact, a graphical style like that wouldn't require anything to be animated at all, keeping things visually simple. As I said before, it's possible to have nice graphics without having uber-realistic graphics. ASCII and Oblivion aren't the only options out there. You can have graphics that are more appealing than ASCII without having to depict people exploding in clouds of gore, even if that's what's happening.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:49:44 am by JonathanCR »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:29 am »

In my opinion, you naysayers underestimate the potential of a game of this complexity to educate and deepen the thought of the gaming masses. When this game has attained its ultimate complexity, doing well at DF will require a degree of such attention and consideration that it cannot fail to rub off on life outside the game.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:00 am »

There's another GIANT problem with going full 3d and, to an extent, even just flat 2d graphics. In the next release we're getting RANDOM creatures (specifically megabeasts, but the are still creatures)... now, there are ways around it, but in the end you need to be able to support the creation of new graphical bits for all of the new randomly generated things. Not to mention that Dwarf Fortress is VERY moddable, which means you would also need to support the creation of new graphical elements from the things people have modded in to make them fit with the rest of the game or you remove a very large portion of the moddability of the game. That's not to say that such things aren't possible, after all Spore has a creature creation system that can make practically anything you can imagine, or at least an approximation of it. However, that system took years to develop but multiple people working full time on it, and it doesn't do natural creatures well. That's one of the reasons they went 'cartoony'. At one point they had it so you could make very realistic animals, like a dog, but the way they moved was unnatural and so looked wrong. I haven't seen any actual fottage of it, but those are the words of one of the developers.

tldr: switching completely over to graphics would require a VERY (read many years of dedicated time) large amount of effort to support random and custom content.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 09:41:56 am »

Or you could just represent randomised creatures by some sort of either 1 graphic or a graphic for each sort of archtype.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 09:44:36 am »

Just think how great the community would be if the game was completely impossible to play.

Brilliant as ever from Footkerchief.  I'd love to use this in my signature, but I'm afraid people would get the wrong impression of it's meaning.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:37 pm »

Yep.

We need to make an elite forum, if that happens.

ONLY acknowledged people can get in.
I'm acknowledged, right? I'm a legend, right?

Also, ironicaly enoguht new VN might actualy become that kind of place, something that only the old forumites know or care abaut were the comunity and it's memetic fauna might live on even if these forums get overrun and drowned out.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4