Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to make NOT wrestlers? ))  (Read 1830 times)

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make NOT wrestlers? ))
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 03:52:44 pm »

Hmm.

For a colorful army with Axe lords etc:
1. make enough copper weapons, shields, leather, chain and optionally plate armor. Forbid/dump all steel weapons.
2. draft dwarves, keep activated, assign them leather armor and shields and weapons.
3. Once each one has leather armor and leggings, assign them chainmail (they wear that over the leather) (I think/hope it adds to their armor).
4. set the military off duty. They will start sparring with weapons.
5. Every couple of months, set them all ON duty. Check each dwarf's inventory, looking for stuff in his hands. Sometimes they forget to drop something, and will wrestle. If a dwarf only has gauntlets, and his weapon and shield not both in the same hand, set him off-duty again to make him train weapons.
6. You will lose dwarves, that is, get serious injuries.

For a survivable military:
1. make armor
2. activate, have them put on chain over leather
3. doublecheck whether that former woodcutter is wielding a steel ax, if yes: m->w
4. set off duty
5. When they're mostly champion wrestlers, have them use copper hammers
6. Some of them will get a damaged spine/neck. If they're already good hammerers, make them train Crossbow. The rest go back to civilian life or into the guard.
7. Once dwarves who become legendary hammerers are fairly invincible. Now the trick is all in timing - I guess you want to avoid situations where dwarves with weapons they don't know well spar with inexperienced dwarves (i.e. dabbling shield users).

Did I forget anything vital? :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:54:28 pm by Samyotix »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »

5. When they're mostly champion wrestlers, have them use copper hammers

Did I forget anything vital? :)

For #5, you have to switch them before they become Elite Wrestlers, otherwise the "back to civilian life" part of #6 becomes impossible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:01 pm »

You can never have too many crossbowdwarves though so that's not a problem.  Ones with poor hammer skill can be set to patrol battlements or stationed in pillboxes. 

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »

I usually mod their weapons to do 1 damage when they spar. Contrary to some misinformation, the game does not do this normally (believe me, I had to savescum when I forgot and had 2 legendary hammerdwarves permanently bedridden), but since imo the game should realize that sparring dwarves should be using padded or training weapons I consider this the lesser of two evils. The last thing I want to do is try to arm and rearm my soldiers every time there's an ambush or siege, it's easier that way.

As for your question, put them in different squads. I think that dwarves will only spar with members of their own squad, so if the hammerers are on their own they won't spar with the wrestlers. But seriously, train all your soldiers as wrestlers. The dodge skill is incredible, I've watched legendary wrestlers/hammerdwarves dance through orc bowman fire and cut them down (well, until each dwarf took one bolt and ran, but by this point most of the orcs were at least maimed if not dead).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:50 pm »

Hmm, my soldiers are in all different squads (original), and they do spar amongst themselves. Not always though, so frequency might be affected.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »

It's more likely that they aren't together enough to spar.  Dwarves in the same squad tend to cluster around their leaders, and so probably have more opportunities to start a sparring session than dwarves who aren't in the same squad and wander around.
Pages: 1 [2]