Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells, possible weakness?  (Read 1257 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells, possible weakness?
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:43:43 pm »

I've built a well inside a tower built over a river.
Now the well is on the second floor and I'm wondering, because the well lacks any of the beloved carp, could goblins swim and climb through the hole the well is built on?
Or do I need to rapidly build walls around the same hole.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Wells, possible weakness?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure creatures can't climb walls. Unless they fly that is.
Creatures won't path through deep water unless they can innately swim.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:59:50 pm »

Cheers for that mate, on a humorous note while remapping the stairs on that particular well I managed to cause a cave in and kill a gem cutter.
Nothing but trouble these non alcoholic drinks. 
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:50:17 pm »

Nothing will ever (willingly) path through anything capable of drowning them.
Incidentally, this is why the carp don't show up on land
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you were really so worried, I believe you can put wells more than 1 or 2 z-levels above water as long as the space between it and the water is cleared.
Of course, again, this is a non-issue unless you're habitually pushing goblins in the river and the only way out is through the well.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:48 pm »

Oh god, just be careful about the water access.  I lost a fort once because I forgot water freezes, and a goblin siege pranced up my maintenance shaft from my water cistern...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:37:13 pm »

Frogmen/Snail men/Batmen can get up wells can't they? the DF wiki has a story about a Frogmen assult through a well.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »

I think they can swim upwards.

Mine even swam upwards diagonally. Might be because of stairs though.

Code: (side view) [Select]
__\
~~|

Where the \ is a down stairs. They managed to get up from that tile.

That said, they managed to walk through/on flooded fortifications too. In fact, the ~ is flooded fortifications.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:39 pm »

Um...
Oh, I forgot something that's related sorta.

Things will path through fluids if it won't drown them, occasionally.
...Regrettably enough, though, magma is a fluid. And [FIREIMMUNE] makes things think they are magmaproof.

They aren't

So, if you build a moat, make sure the terrain on your side isn't capable of catching fire.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:58:07 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:04:46 pm »

Frogmen/Snail men/Batmen can get up wells can't they? the DF wiki has a story about a Frogmen assult through a well.

The story may be from 2d DF where wells and rivers and chasms and lava (and certain other things) could spontaneously generate appropriate creatures.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:14 am »

If they have any swimming skill (which they won't naturally have, but they might get if they get knocked into water that's not high enough to drown them), they may try to path through the well. Some fortresses that had modded in amphibious invaders had issues with them sneaking in through the well, but I don't think you have to worry. Unless you modded your goblins with the [NOBREATH] tag, you'll be fine.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:53 am »

Dwarves will never never path through water unless it is 3/7 or lower if I remember correctly, even with the swimming skill.  Also, flying creatures won't fly to a target if there is not a land route to that target.  Also, as long as you keep your well at 7/7 and put a floor above the water, all golbins will drown regardless of whether or not they have swimming skill.