Poll

Community fort or succession fort?

Community
- 17 (54.8%)
Succession
- 14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Ork World Fortress: Orc Camp Capers.  (Read 9422 times)

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ork World Fortress
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »

same name for me. i will be a miner. :)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2009, 03:30:48 pm »

can i have a hunting/crossbow dwarf.
with a haterid of wood weapons cos thay once had to use one and people died cos there crap
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 03:32:32 pm »

Hetros the Bold!
Spear Dwarf/Wrestler, pure military.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »

Okay, you're all in.
And in honor if that post, Funk, your guy shall have only a rudimentary grasp of basic language.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »

Wow! It fell apart so quick! Thanks to your writing we were feeling almost secure and happy. That last log entry gets pretty poignant then.

I'd like to get a dwarf for the reclaim. You can fill up the slots before me with people on the dwarf waiting list, if you prefer to.

"Augustus" would be Baudelaire brother (or sister). He has always despised what he's called his brother's whims and foolish interests. Art, grand ideas, "things only a noble head is windy enough to allow in". Unlike Baudelaire, Augustus only respects what can be touched, what solidly exists. The rest is air,  designed to fill the emptiness.

Despite what he would say to anyone willing to hear, Augustus had to admit the very physical existence of a few of those so-called windy ideas. Honor, Effort. Some things couldn't be touched or seen, but could be felt so hard that no steel pick could mine them. He realised blood bond was one of those. When he heard the fate of his silly little brother, he forgot about their endless fights. The only thing he wanted to do was giving a very existence to the bond that tied them. Continuing on his brother steps would allow this brotherhood to be carved in the mountain. This way, that idea would never fade through a windy mine shaft.

Grower would sound like a right profession for Augustus. Although, wrestler, miner, mason would fit to.
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2009, 03:51:27 pm »

H.F.S.

The reclaim has 10 squads, each with 8 dwarves.
80 dwarves!

There is plenty of space.

Now, I've got to think up an explanation for all these dwarves coming out of nowhere.
The obvious, of course, is that all these dwarves heard of Feshfikod and traveled together to join it, and found it dead.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2009, 04:00:50 pm »

Another explanation could be that an army of dwarves, all fanatical and in the name of Armok, fights a desperate war against the Ork Lords, and ends up enhausted and almost cornered. They have to retreat. On their attempt to flee the horde, they come accross Feshfikod, or simply the general heard word of it not long ago, and decides to try to rally the fort for a last stand against the enemy. It's all about desperation!  :D

On a side note, HFS means double doom. Menace from above and below ground.
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 04:04:48 pm »

I generally use it as an abbreviation for Holy, F**king, S**t.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ork World Fortress: RECLAIM TIME! 76 vacancies! OH HELL!
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »

I'll take a hammer or mace wielding dwarf on the reclaim.  Afterward he can do odd jobs.  His name is Emperor Urist, much like the famed Emperor Norton of San Francisco.  He believes he is the emperor of the Dwarven Nation, even though there isn't one.  Instead he is a much loved crazy dwarf whose random proclamations and desires are sometimes followed just because he is fun.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:33 pm »

I would like a swordsdwarf.  Call him 'Mad Mardigan,' and note he wants to be the greatest swordsdwarf in the world.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »

I assume everyone so far wants a squad leader?

Except Funk, I have plans for you.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »

doesnt bother me i can be leader or not

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »

Of course.

PUT ME IN COMMAND OF THE DRAGOONS!

As for story, our guys broke out of the Orc slave camps, heard of this place, and met up along the way. Upon finding it in ruins, we decided to retake the place.

Hetros the Bold hates orcs with a passion surpassing all other things, and has a perchant for making amazing speeches.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:33 pm »

Yep, a leader.  It will only furthur fuel Urist's delusions of grandeur.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:48 pm »

Sod it, anyone who ever posted in this thread is getting a dwarf.

That'll still leave a few dozen spaces but whatever.

I'm thinking of writing some justification for 80 (80!) dwarfs banding together, there are too many to have all come from a single place, slave camp or no. Any Ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9