Poll

Community fort or succession fort?

Community
- 17 (54.8%)
Succession
- 14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Ork World Fortress: Orc Camp Capers.  (Read 9423 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ork World Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:04 am »

I voted for community, but if this turns out succession I'd like a turn (I'm a new player so you can expect some Fun screwups)

But while I have lots of time to play this for the next few months, if this gets stretched over to the next year I will have absolutely no free time at all. Thanks to Finland's obligatory army service.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:05 am »

And the poll is locked.
Community Fort wins!

Claim your dorfs!

Taken:
Outpost leader/trader/future sheriff: Me
Bonecarver/assistant farmer/brewer: Baudelaire
Mason/mechanic/stonecrafter: TauQuebb
Butcher/tanner/farmer/cook: Billy
Miner/wrestler: Taters (I know he didn't ask, but I have to)
Carpenter/tree-feller/axedwarf: Genoraven
Hunter/Marksdwarf: Zifnab

Untaken:

Oh, and there will be modifications, but not hacking.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:24:32 pm by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 08:06:39 am »

Although i would accept to be retrograded in the list, since other people posted earlier in the thread, claiming for turns, i'd like to claim the bonecarver dwarf. He would be called Baudelaire, and his goal in life is to make the Mountainhomes accept that poetry can be written on bones, not only on walls. He also likes to get into heated discussions about how imagination is a source of inspiration as valid as history (wink wink engravings), but he quickly gets boring.   Also, the fact he's a brewer is important as he needs alcohol to fuel his poetic creative energy, in addition of getting through the day.

Edit: Thinking twice about the background: with no dwarven civilisations left, Baudelaire motivations should be more about inventing the  poetry of a derelict world, carving bones, rather than trying to prove something to the world. But fundamentaly, he's the same annoying arty dwarf.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:31:33 am by Soviet Travolta »
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 08:57:37 am »

Sounds like a fun time, woulden't mind a go if i may.
Mason/mechanic/stonecrafter
A Dwarf who is very geometric, obsessed with walls being perfect and rooms squared, got kicked out of the last fortress for sneaking into the queens bedroom at night and making it perfectly cube shaped. he loves the number 9 and try's to incorporate it into everything. He does not get along well with poorly symmetrical dorfs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36:45 am »

Aw, why not.. I'd like to claim a dwarf on this one as well.
I'll take the butcher / tanner/ farmer/ cook.
Name: Billy
Billy was the only survivor, when the Orks purged the Elven retreat he was forced to work in.
He had been employed in the Elves' tavern, working the kitchen, and tending the garden's herbs. Hiding away under a dead Elf saved him from the slaughter.
Thanks to his knowledge of herbs, he managed to survive in the woods, learning to live off the land as the years passed. One day, when he was working his small field, he encountered a band of dwarves, speaking of a way of rekindling dwarven civilization to it's proper glory.
Tired of living alone, and the sight of trees, he agreed to join them on their journey.

EDIT: you mentioned there will be no hacking. I suppose that means you will not be using Dwarf Companion or other tools?
DC might be your only way of adding more dwarves to the fort, if immigrants indeed fail to show..
Also, I would not be against careful use of DC, if that would prevent story-breaking events..
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:50:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 10:42:07 am »

Billy was one of the few survivors when the Orks purged his home outpost.
There was only ever one dwavern settlement, and it only lasted 51 years. The embark year is 200. This makes your dwarf at least 151 years old. There were no other mountain halls, ever, and I assume this is because all the dwarves that left to start one were killed on the way.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 10:45:16 am »

Hehe ok.. I'll do some editing to the background right away  ;D

Edit: DONE

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:49:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 11:47:17 am »

Some background based on the history.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Taters: look up that battle in the history, it's epic. 40 dwarves killed nearly 200 orcs. It even ended in a duel with the leader of the Orc attack.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:18 pm »

I claim the woodcutter!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »

I'll take the hunter.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »

Right then, that's everyone.

Starting soon.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Intro.
'Stop the wagon, we're here.'

'What? Here? It's a bloody tundra! There are no trees! How will we get wood!?' shouted Taters.

'Stop shouting, Taters.' said Billy. 'And actually, it's quite happy-looking, as snow-covered mountians go. At least the nearest Orc camp is a few days away.'

'I should have been in charge of this attempt, It was my idea.' replied Taters.

'Yeah, but I sorted everything out. I got the wagon, I got the supplies, And I found a place on the map that has at least a chance of being undetected for a year'

'Supplies! You didn't bring any wood!'

'That's not my fault, the elves hadn't arrived by the time it was almost to late to leave. Any later, and the orcs would have caught us during their winter rampages.'

'But-!'

'Shut up and dig.'

...'Fine', spat Taters, before grabbing his pick and starting to dig out a temporary home in the earth.

'He has got a point, Akig, there isn't much here, except for the magma. And we'll run out of booze soon' admitted Zifnab.

'Leave that to me.'

The lack of wood is intentional, it doesn't make sense that dwarves would lug around tower caps for 150 years.

Proper spring entry tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:35:09 pm by Akigagak »

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 03:58:37 pm »

cool thanks for including meh. I suggest at least one marksdwarf ASAP. Those orcs suck... alot. Make xbows outta bones if you have to!

For my character, make em less mean in the future. Make him start as mean and grumpy, but make him nicer as he gets to know the rest, and to become protective. You can enlist him as is, and if he is set to Unarmed, he will use his pick! As he ranks in wrestler, he will get better, i think. It might be based off mining skill, but whatever. Just dont make him train with newbies with the pick. Make him equip another weapon so he drops the pick, then put him back on Wrestler. When you need the pick, make him a miner and he'll pick the pick up. Lol pun. Then re-enlist him.
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 06:54:37 pm »

i would like a miner. named ascubis. when at legendary can he switch to masonry to legendary then apply in the army? if he survives

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 06:56:49 pm »

Yeah, that'll be in about 7-8 years.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »

oooo lol well then good luck growing up ascubis... dont run out for the single pigtail glove ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9