Poll

Community fort or succession fort?

Community
- 17 (54.8%)
Succession
- 14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Ork World Fortress: Orc Camp Capers.  (Read 9417 times)

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ork World Fortress: RECLAIM TIME! 76 vacancies! OH HELL!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »

hmmm part of us could have come from a previous mountainhome that was attacked and few survived while others just managed to elude them?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »

Sod it, anyone who ever posted in this thread is getting a dwarf.

That'll still leave a few dozen spaces but whatever.

I'm thinking of writing some justification for 80 (80!) dwarfs banding together, there are too many to have all come from a single place, slave camp or no. Any Ideas?

I was thinking multiple slave camps. Ruined villages. All that stuff. We all banded together along the way because we heard of a new mountain home.

Anyway. I see Hetros the Bold as more of a "had leadership thrust upon him", he doesn't WANT to lead his particular part of the reclaiming force, he does by common consent and the fact he sees it as better than letting somebody less capable do it.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 09:51:17 pm »

I guess you could have a Spartacus type of situation where a core group of gladiators/military slaves escapes and are joined by a lot of rural/domestic slaves.  Hopefully for your leader's sake, the reclaim doesn't end like Spartacus though.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »

Yeah, I think stragglers from all over that heard the promise of a new mountainhome makes the most sense.

... Can I be in? :tongue:
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 11:13:22 pm »

I guess you could have a Spartacus type of situation where a core group of gladiators/military slaves escapes and are joined by a lot of rural/domestic slaves.  Hopefully for your leader's sake, the reclaim doesn't end like Spartacus though.

Total dibs on the spartacus roll even if it DOES end like that.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 11:23:46 pm »

It won't, as the orcs won't politely ask for you, they'll kill everyone, then dance on  the pile of loosely associated body parts that may, or may not, have belonged to you.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:43 pm »

I'm in.

Name: Xanthius
Custom Profession: Perfect Storm
Skills: Anything in the military. Except marksdwarf and wrestler. Preferably Axedwarf. Make him a champion ASAP.
The Perfect Storm. That was his title. Xanthius had evaded the Orc hordes since the Dwarven Civilization fell. He trained in secrecy until this day, and when he heard of the attempt at rebuilding the civilization, he fought his way to the fortress. A natural leader, at that, an expert at commanding a military.
Preferred Personality: Prefers Dwarven Wine (Mandatory). Doesn't care about anything (Optional).

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:04 am »

My new incarnation. I wish to be the dedicated strand extractor. I'll start out as a mace dwarf though.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:09 am »

Lawec, a surviving dwarf from a village burned down by orcs, later used as a slave, to carve bones of his fallen comrades into arrows.
His hate of the orcs, and his skills with a hammer, makes him a powerful foe.
Hammerdorf + carpenter + bonecarver
He is still being haunted by the screams of his wife and children.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 09:06:40 am »

I'll grab a new dwarf as well..
Name him Bob, and if possible, I'll have an axedwarf. However, retire him from military, as soon as you have some decent armor and a shield, enable the hunting job on him.
Until you have some decent armor, so he can survive his hunting jobs, Bob will be happy to assist with any construction projects that need doing (masonry and architecture jobs).

As for an idea how 80 dwarves came to be together..
What sprang to mind for me: Those 80 dwarves are (descendants of?) survivors of one of the last dwarven civilizations, captured by the Orks when their last mountainhome fell.
The Orks have been trying to find and free their demon Lord for ages.
Being very bad miners, they used the captured dwarves to mine deep into the mountains, trying to find the pit their demon Lord has been imprisoned in since the beginning of time.

One day however, chaos ensued, as another demon Lord appeared at the Orks' stronghold, and spread doom and destruction, in an attempt to subdue the Orks under his dominion.
Many Orks died in roaring flames, and many dwarves died too.
However, a somewhat less brave troop of dwarves, who had been mining when the demon appeared, managed to build a solid wall from dug out rocks, and walled themselves in, away from the onslaught.
From there, they dug their way to the other side of the mountain, and fled away from it as far as their legs would carry them. When they awoke the next morning, they found they had set up nights' camp right next to the remains of, what seemed to be, a dwarven caravan.
Under the moss-covered remains of a wagon they found tools, weapons, and even some armor.
Even greater was their joy, when they found some barrels of well-aged dwarven wine.
It must have been Armok's will that they were guided here.
A council was held, and it didn't take long for the dwarves to decide that they were destined to refound dwarven civilization. They journeyed on for some time, meeting some odd dwarves with different backstories on the way, and fate led them to an abandoned outpost in a frozen landscape...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:09:10 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2009, 01:45:10 pm »

Great story there Martinuzz. :o

It could be put to good use when the first orks arrive, giving some purpose to their attacks. For instance, in the chaos of the demon apparition, the dwarves could have grabbed some device or artifact the orks would need to gain control of the freed demon. Something to give more tension to the whole "we're beeing sieged" thing.
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

Yeah, that might do.

I'll tweak it and add bits while I wait for more dwarves.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2009, 01:55:46 pm »

I want to be a speardwarf, if that's possible. Considering there are like 80 of them.

Name him Urist McOrcbait. Or Fred. Either one.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »

I want a dwarf! Nicknamed 'Lobster Beard'. A hammerdwarf! He's very old, and when the fortress is secure, he will lay down his hammer and take up Stone Detailing.

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »

Are you near elves/humans? We could have some that lived with humans since the last mountainhome fell. They had families and whatnot, then packed up their stuff when they heard about the new fortress. When they got there, there was nothing. Going with the stories above

Name: Sythun
Role: Hammerdwarf/Trader (intimidate for prices and appraisal)
History: After the flight of the Mountainhome, SYthun's father rallied the dwarves and helped a small group flee towards human-controlled lands. The local lord was more than happy to let them run his mines and chisel his stone. With dwarven hands, he flourished. But with the news of this new mountainhome, the dwarves have set out to help their people rebuild. Sythun inherited the leader role for his group with his natural charisma and mercentile skill. Being adept with a hammer doesn't hurt either.

This group can be like a single squad or two that links up with the rebels. They could have brought most of the supplies that you get on embark. I don' think ragtag slaves would be be able to get nice farm animals and pretty wagons while fleeing hordes of orcs. Lets say my group pulled all the favors they built up with the lord that let them live (all dat metal and all those gems mined by dwarfs would have given LOTS of cash), and the humans lavishly supplied them as a political gesture to the new dwarven city.
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9