Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor demands an "item in Bedroom"?  (Read 1176 times)

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor demands an "item in Bedroom"?
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin. I've assigned him a bedroom with a cabinet in it, but that hasn't stopped the demand. What do I do?
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor demands an "item in Bedroom"?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:49:19 pm »

Strange, does the bedroom size cover the cabinet?

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:10:31 pm »

It's a glitch, you can't do anything about it.

Edit: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Demand
There's a small bit on the glitch in the wiki and more on the discussion page.
Essentially it looks like the bug is that they want something that cannot exist.  Like a potash table.

Anyway if you just ignore it, they'll get mad but they'll probably get over it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:15:06 pm by Strant »
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »

Actually you can try adding any number of items and see if they fulfill the request.  You might get lucky and have it work.  I had a hammerer who wanted an "item" and was happy when I put a statue in his room.  The demand even changed to "statue in room" that was colored white.  So I think it's just a matter of finding the right item.  I don't know if it's limited to constructible items or not.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:51 pm »

I've heard this happens when he tries to demand an item that just can't be done, such as a bed made of his favourite stone.

Feel free to ignore it, but as mentioned, you can just give him things until he's happy enough with the new item. If you can't find the item, no problem, it's not a strong bad thought anyway, and nobody will be punished.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:13:21 pm »

The item he wants in his bedroom is most likely either magma, water, or a wall of dirt falling down.  But this not rule out the possibility of a room full of cage traps, weapon traps, or a lever attached to spikes. I would just keep trying these till the damand goes away.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12:33 am »

As mentioned, dwarves that have impossible demands aren't really candidates for unfortunate accidents. They'll gripe at someone, but they won't get anyone hammered over it(or otherwise punished) - save that, if there aren't happy thoughts enough to overcome the unhappy thought from the unsatisfied demand, they might turn around and issue more mandates.

Then it's time to decide whether you want to satisfy those mandates, or - for instance - make them (briefly) happy with a private waterfall.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.