Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: City Living.  (Read 1949 times)

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
City Living.
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

I had great success at building my first city.
I showed dem humans that we are better.
Now i am an addict. The underground just does not make me happy anymore.
What shall i ever do?
Art is a Blast

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: City Living.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:29:15 pm »

Build a city purely out of ice.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:27:02 pm »

Build one out of steel. Now your just adding insult to injury.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:41:49 pm »

Make an Republic city

Something with a big ass town square, a place for the king
Temples to kill off the unwanted
Farms
Urban slums
Workshops

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »

Build Up.

Find a spot that has a very high, sharp Z-level.

Make a city of towers with bridges linking to one another, possibly with systems that can collapse an entire tower if it is deemed to be invaded. Or maybe one that will flood it, with a large container of magma hovering at the top of each of them.

A_Big_Bear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:55 pm »

Build a city underground. Mine out big streets, multi-z level housing and storages.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »

Make an above-ground city entirely out of natural stone (no obsidian casting!)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:19:13 pm »

Make an above-ground city entirely out of natural stone (no obsidian casting!)

Seconded. That actually has some tangible benefits: dwarves told to stay inside will actually stay inside if the buildings are Subterranean, and farming both inside and out can only be done on natural floors.

It also is a good design challenge because you must work with the natural layout of the area-- that, or dig down so deep and later expose it all by digging out the surrounding rock. Digging out the surrounding rock can be dangerous as it either involves lots and lots of ramping (and make sure you remove all ramps of an area before you dig down, or else you'll get the occasional dangling piece of ramp in the middle of nowhere!), or collapsing natural rock floors/ceilings down.

It also makes a ton of stone, or not if you're just removing dirt layers. Another challenge is that you can't really undo any part of it, since you can't reform natural floors and walls.

That is, unless cast obsidian can recreate subterranean areas. I'm really not sure, I expect that once an area has been exposed to the outside then it will never be subterranean, but I've never experimented with casting obsidian outdoors. If it could create subterranean areas, you could place a city out of cast obsidian that has the benefits of natural stone. Bonus points if you can find an area that is part acquifier and build the city on top of that, so that you can place fountains, lakes, and baths wherever you like with a bit of engineering.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:23:03 pm »

That is, unless cast obsidian can recreate subterranean areas.

It does not.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »

Draw inspiration from real life cities, both ancient and modern. Use ancient maps and google earth respectively to get layouts. See how faithfully you can recreate both, then see how creatively you can recreate both.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »

I'm seconding the "carve an aboveground city out of the underground" option.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:03 am »

Ice is kinda boring,
The steel wont work as a person wont have enough of it.
Republic city, take a look at the thread "My first Great Dwarven City"
I have done towers before, boring as a borg cube.
"natural stone" I don't do obsidian casting. It takes ages. Natural stone is faster.

I found a very good start position, a brook and magma, on a treeless flat map.
Any more ideas?
Art is a Blast

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 01:20:41 am »

Make the most perfect incarceration hold ever, and give some dwarven entertainment options ( some inspired by Deadman Wonderland ) .

• Make large sparring areas, filled with triggers, and cages, and require all sentient being to be armored, and armed, release the squads to spar, and see them release a few armed enemies
  • Create a pit that is so deadly that only very few can last for a short while ( pit filled with 'torch' bins and fire imps, or SoF )
  • Make an arena with ridiculous amounts of hazards.
  • Have the dwarves build many structures for training, and also rig the constructs. ( oops, did that section of tower x collapse with 17 dwarves in it, and 45 under it? )
  • Imprison any living creature in cages, place cages into a room, place food, drink, armor, ammo, and weapons through out the room

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 01:29:09 am »

What if you made a building that is only connected to the ground in one spot, it maintains a consistent 8x8x8 per segment. Since DF has no physics so-to-speak, you are able to make impossible constructs, make a tower that goes up and u-turns back down, but only is connected on one side. Then you can do the same thing again, in a different direction. You could make the royal chamber be at the very very end of the building, so you have to walk all the way through this physics anomaly to get to the throne. Perhaps the first few floors good be ridden with traps and your stockpiles, and the further back you get the less working classish it gets. I don't really know how to articulate this idea in a way besides how I did it... If you are unclear I will try to find a way to demonstrate my concept.

Goldsie

• Bay Watcher
  • Tears the throats out of wolves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:31:35 am »

every building has magmafall, go on, I dare you
http://springrts.com/

play it, love it
Pages: [1] 2